Spinach Artichoke (Dip, Soup, or just a snack) Stage one and forever :)

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Lunch & Dinner Spinach Artichoke (Dip, Soup, or just a snack) Stage one and forever :)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  cat 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Summer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 43

This is so yummy. I just invented this last night and I wanted to share it because I ate all of it in one day!

Here is what you will need
    1 bag of young spinach
    2 artichokes
    1/2 a cup of my House Dressing: recipe below:
    1/4 cup of diced red onion
    dash or two of rosemary
    dash or two of sweet basil
    1 garlic glove minced
    1/2 Tablespoon of Himalayan sea salt
    1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (this makes it a little spicy so go 1/4 for milder or leave out if you like)
    +add more olive oil if you would like it creamier, taste first 🙂

PREP TIME:
    First: Artichoke:
    Boil your artichokes in a large pan (cover them fully with water) Should take about 45 minutes to an hour. Check them (when the leaves pull out and are not rubbery, they are done.)

-While the artichokes are boiling prep the onion and garlic and make the house dressing. (House dressing takes about 15 minutes to make and you’ll have extra for salads.)

-Next saute the spinach on low heat in a light (really light) coating of safflower oil.

-When the artichokes are done, take care to leave out any crispy (less edible parts of the artichoke)

Put all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until creamy.
    about 2-3 minutes.

NOTES:

I ate this as lunch by itself and then later for an after dinner snack again by itself. It’s so good it doesn’t need anything else.

It could also be a dip for celery sticks, or in stage two gluten candida friendly crackers.

You could also add more olive oil + a whole avocado and a little water and turn it into a nutrient powerhouse soup.

I hope you all enjoy.

House Dressing RECIPE:

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
    1 1/2 cups olive oil (I prefer Braggs Extra (tastes more olive-y but so good for you)
    2 Tablespoons fresh minced ginger
    1/3 cup diced red onion
    1 garlic glove minced
    3 Tablespoons Himalayan Sea Salt
    Fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy and smooth (approximately 2 minutes)

Keeps for 5 days in the fridge.

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Sounds great, thanks Summer. Just wondering what it would be like just to blitz the artichoke and leave out the spinach? (with all the other interesting bits obviously)

Summer
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 43

Lucylu wrote: Sounds great, thanks Summer. Just wondering what it would be like just to blitz the artichoke and leave out the spinach? (with all the other interesting bits obviously)

I’m sure any variation with artichoke will be delicious. I think the spinach makes it creamy.

Griff
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 21

This looks great, thanks!

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Its recipes like this that keep me motivated! Thanks for sharing.

flamingo
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

Thank you Summer, i loved this house dressing. i used it in my salads and it put the joys back into eating salads again.

The only negative thing about this is that it makes my breath smell so i’m going to be able to only eat it at the end of the week. this dressing will make me look forward to friday nights and saturdays so i can eat it in my salads.

🙂 Flamingo.

dforbreakfast
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 39

This sounds delicious, I will try this!

karen
    Replies: 1

I’m confused!! Do you use just the artichoke hearts? What about the leaves? Do they go in the food processor with everything else? It seems like they should be left out…..please advise. I’m in the process of making this now and it looks great. Can’t wait to try it.

LovingLifeAgain
    Replies: 5

Saving the recipe!!! Thanks for sharing it 🙂

hdispain
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 16

Don’t make the same mistakes I did with this recipe. The answer to Karen’s question is that you should only put in the heart and soft stem. I cut the leaves in half, removing the hard parts, but the leaves don’t really break down in your food processor. They turn into stiff, fiberous strings and ruin the texture. I’m going to eat it anyway because it still tastes good! A little salty, so next time I will add some salt and taste it as I go instead of adding it all at once. Also, I’m not a huge fan of the house dressing like flamingo. Next time, I’ll break down the recipe and only make the 1/2 cup that the recipe calls for. Overall, very tasty though! I’ll definitely make this again, and if I can get it right, bring it to pot lucks. I’m eating it right now with some zucchini chips I made in my food dehydrator. Thanks Summer!

Monte
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 21

I made this the other day and it was amazing – thank you! I’m planning on making it again this weekend. It makes the best veggie dip : )

cat
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

Thanks so much for posting this!

Tossed it with 100% buckwheat soba noodles (and just a tiny bit of ghee) and it was a really nice asian pesto fusion! I used a couple of fresh basil leaves from the garden, less salt and a 12oz. bag of frozen artichoke hearts (thawed)-I bet fresh artichokes would be lovely but the work week was rough…the frozen worked really well for quick and easy!

Thanks again!
    -cat

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Spinach Artichoke (Dip, Soup, or just a snack) Stage one and forever :)’ is closed to new replies.