Rice Bran and Oat Bran

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Rice Bran and Oat Bran

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

This has probably been explained before but I have been unable to find anything by searching so I’ll ask it again.

Can anyone explain why oats and rice are on the foods to avoid list but oat bran and rice bran are OK what is different in their make up that makes one suitable and the other not.

In addition to add something to my diet I am considering getting some red/black rice, again what makes these types of rice different to white/brown rice in the fight against candida?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, James.

Regular oatmeal and oat bran are two entirely types of food. So are regular rice and rice bran.

The hull of the oat seed makes up 20 to 35% of the weight of the grain. After harvesting, the hull is removed from the groat. After the hulls are removed, the clean groats are ground. Rather than grinding or milling the groats to fine flour, producers begin by grinding them coarsely. During the grinding process, the bran of the oat grain breaks away from the flour-yielding part of the grain.

To divide the oat bran itself from the oat, the makers sieve the course flour. Oat flour particles fall through the sieve, but the oat bran particles do not.

According to the AACC (American Association of Cereal Chemists), the creation of oat bran must involve grinding and sieving the oat groats so the oat bran product ends up as less than one-half of the original ground oat product, so he manufacturers are required to remove at least half of the original ground oats to ensure that enough of the remaining product consists of bran. The final product must be at least 16% fiber by weight and at least 1/3 of this must be soluble fiber.

Rice bran has a similar story:

During the milling process, the rice kernels are completely dried and then hulled, then the hard outer shell of the rice is separated from the rest of the kernel, and this hard outer shell is actually the rice bran. It can be turned into flour at that time, which is usually what you receive when you purchase “rice bran.”

When eaten, the end products of these processes are fermented by the intestinal flora and then used as prebiotics, meaning they serve as food for the beneficial flora in the intestines.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You may or may not react to either of these foods. Candida can adapt to many food items so I feel it is best to alternate some of the major food items that will be key to your recovery (such as buckwheat and oat bran). I mean, it’d suck if you could eat oat bran for 5 months and then after that you are allergic to it…

I personally was highly allergic to rice bran (I believe but not sure). Consider each item as a test food item.

-Raster

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Rice Bran and Oat Bran’ is closed to new replies.