Nutritional Yeast

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Nutritional Yeast

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ruffian 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

karencroskrey
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 17

What’s the deal with nutritional yeast? Can we eat it? I’ve heard that it’s okay or maybe even good for us to eat, but the name freaks me out! I just want some verification before I start eating it. Thanks!

many sparrows
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 42

I’m in exactly the same position. I’ve tried to work out whether its good or bad for me but have never got to the bottom of it.

msmofish
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 96

I was told by Able that it’s not on the diet & I agree the name freaks me out they I enjoy the test

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Its in a variety of standard process supplements I take and my naturopath has it on his food list which of course is different than the websites. We have all of these other types of yeast in the body besides candida and they all are not bad.

When I consume something with it I notice no difference.

Tread carefully though if you were to consume it and treat it as a test food item like everything else.

-raster

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

It’s a deactivated yeast, meaning it’s not alive to colonize your guts. It’s more closely related to S. Boulardii (used as an antifungal) than it is to Candida Albicans. People with sensitivities to yeast itself may have issues, and obviously anyone with leaky gut can develop a problem. I tested it a couple of months into the diet with no problem and have been eating it since then (yesterday was the 9-month mark for me). I consider it a valuable source of both B-vitamins and flavor. Like Raster says, just tread carefully and see how you do with it.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Most nutritional yeast is saccharomyces cerevisiae (related close to Boulardii), which is actually a great yeast against candida. Some of the nutritional yeasts actually say “S cerevisiae” on the ingredient list.

If your not allergic to yeast it should be fine.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Researchers from the California Institute for Medical Research, Santa Clara Valley Medical Center and Stanford University gave mice three injections of killed Saccharomyces (baker’s yeast), one week apart. Vaccinated mice were able to survive high doses of Aspergillus — the fungus that causes aspergillosis. Mice that survived also showed a reduced infection load in their organs.
    Aspergillosis is the leading fungal killer among immunocompromised individuals. It is an invasive infection that attacks the lungs, can disseminate to other organs, such as the brain, and can lead to kidney and liver failure. The disease currently has very high mortality as the current available therapy has a high failure rate.
    The research team used a simple yeast preparation as a vaccine against Aspergillus in mice. They found that unmodified yeast gave just as much protection against the development of aspergillosis as yeasts that had been engineered to display Aspergillus surface proteins. Dr. David A. Stevens, from Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, in whose laboratory the studies were performed, said, “Our results suggest that the protective component of the yeast is in the cell wall. What’s more, the simple preparation we used has been shown by us to also protect against infection due to three other fungi that cause human disease –[h][/h] Candida,[h][/h] Cryptococcus and Coccidioides.”

Abstract

Yeasts and their glycan components can have a beneficial or adverse effect on intestinal inflammation. Previous research has shown that the presence of Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. boulardii (Sb) reduces intestinal inflammation and colonization by Candida albicans. The aim of this study was to identify dietary yeasts, which have comparable effects to the anti-C. albicans and anti-inflammatory properties of Sb and to assess the capabilities of yeast cell wall components to modulate intestinal inflammation. Mice received a single oral challenge of C. albicans and were then given 1.5% dextran-sulphate-sodium (DSS) for 2 weeks followed by a 3-day restitution period. S. cerevisiae strains (Sb, Sc1 to Sc4), as well as mannoprotein (MP) and β-glucan crude fractions prepared from Sc2 and highly purified β-glucans prepared from C. albicans were used in this curative model, starting 3 days after C. albicans challenge. Mice were assessed for the clinical, histological and inflammatory responses related to DSS administration. Strain Sc1-1 gave the same level of protection against C. albicans as Sb when assessed by mortality, clinical scores, colonization levels, reduction of TNFα and increase in IL-10 transcription. When Sc1-1 was compared with the other S. cerevisiae strains, the preparation process had a strong influence on biological activity. Interestingly, some S. cerevisiae strains dramatically increased mortality and clinical scores. Strain Sc4 and MP fraction favoured C. albicans colonization and inflammation, whereas β-glucan fraction was protective against both. Surprisingly, purified β-glucans from C. albicans had the same protective effect. Thus, some yeasts appear to be strong modulators of intestinal inflammation. These effects are dependent on the strain, species, preparation process and cell wall fraction. It was striking that β-glucan fractions or pure β-glucans from C. albicans displayed the most potent anti-inflammatory effect in the DSS model.

Ruffian
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 72
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Nutritional Yeast’ is closed to new replies.