Miracle Berry

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Miracle Berry

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PeteSake 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

PeteSake
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 36

Has anyone tried this for dealing with sweet cravings?

For those that don’t know, there is a fruit called ‘miracle berry’ which contains a glycoprotein called miraculin. When eaten, miraculin binds to receptors on the tongue causing sour things to taste sweet, for up to an hour..it has no sugar and isn’t sweet.

I remember trying this a few years ago and I could drink unsweetened lemon/limeade and it tasted like it had a ton of sugar.. I even have some berries left from back then.
    I was thinking it might be a good option for Candida sufferers, however the chemical makeup has carbs which worries me..

“Miraculin was first sequenced in 1989 and was found to be a glycoprotein consisting of 191 amino acids and some carbohydrate chains.” – wikipedia

There’s also a similar substance called curculin but I’m not very educated on that one.

Just curious if anyone has tried this or what they thought of it..

Pharoah24
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

I just brought and tested gymnema sylvestre powder, works exactly the same way. Was munching on an avo thinking it was like sweet butter! 👌🏼

1 user thanked author for this post.

PeteSake
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 36

Wow, thanks for sharing!
    I’m definitely looking into that one..

Also, *correction*
    Since miraculin is a glycoprotein, it does contain sugar, at about 13% of its weight..

“The molecular weight of the glycoprotein is 24.6 kDa including 3.4 kDa (13.9% of the weight) of sugar constituted (on molar ratio) of glucosamine (31%), mannose (30%), fucose (22%), xylose (10%) and galactose (7%).[” – wiki

I personally found that 0.2 grams berry was sufficient enough which means that is about ~ 2mg total sugar.
    And I’ve read some sources say glucosamine fights candida..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Miracle Berry’ is closed to new replies.