Kohlrabi Kalan (Indian Dish)

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Lunch & Dinner Kohlrabi Kalan (Indian Dish)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  KRE1983 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

KRE1983
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 15

I bought the most GINORMOUS kohlrabi at the farmer’s market the other day. It is seriously bigger than my normal-sized head! I came home, determined to find at least one good recipe that I could make with this sucker.

I found this recipe here: http://veggiecookbook.wordpress.com/2007/05/04/noolkol-kohlrabi-kalan/

Not much was amended for the candida diet, I didn’t have the chiles or methi seeds so omitted them (not much of a spice girl anyway).

Cook
    2 noolkol(peel and cube)
    ½ tsp black pepper corn (ground or cracked)
    ½ tsp Turmeric
    Salt to taste

Beat 2 cups sour curd and keep aside. (This is an Indian variation of buttermilk. I used 1 cup greek yogurt, 1 cup coconut milk and 2 Tbsp ACV. It turned out fine.)

For the kalan gravy
    1 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut
    2-3 Green chillies (according to taste)
    1 tsp Cumin seeds
    Grind the above 3 ingredients to a fine paste and keep aside

For seasoning
    2 tbsp oil (preferably coconut oil)
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    ½ tsp methi seeds
    1 dried red chilies (broken)
    Curry leaves

Procedure
    Cook the cut vegetables in 2-3 cups of water in a saucepan along with turmeric powder, black pepper and salt, cook till the vegetables are done and water is evaporated. Make sure the vegetables are not overcooked and mushy. It should be ‘fork tender’, the vegetable is done. Stir in the sour curd to the cooked vegetables and let it simmer until very little yogurt remains as liquid. Now add the coconut-cumin-green chili paste to the above mixture and stir. Keep it on a low heat for 3-5 minutes. Do not let it boil or burn: remove it from the stove top.

Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat, add red chilli, mustard seeds, methi seeds and curry leaves. Allow mustard seeds to sputter and remove from heat. Pour the seasoning over the curry.

Enjoy!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Kohlrabi Kalan (Indian Dish)’ is closed to new replies.