Kimchi and Low Energy..

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kimchi and Low Energy..

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wiley200 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jeska
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Ok, so first thing I need to know because I have read different things is:

-Is Kimchi ok to eat or not? Especially in the first stages..

I read it could contain yeast through fermentation so I stayed away from it, (extremely hard to do while living in Korea!!) But the site here says it’s ok…WHO IS CORRECT??

-Also I teach and I get extremely tired during the day…I am not supposed to have coffee, it has been pretty impossible…what should I do?? Is it true yeast creates energy and I am currently depleting my body of it so I am more tired??

-And, if anyone could name so safe to eat Korean food that would be rad! Thanks!

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

First, wanna say it’s nice to see a post by a fellow candida diet contender living in Asia! We’re probably in the same boat on a lot of things (“whadya mean I can’t eat rice!? No soy sauce either!?”). Little trick I’ve found works wonders: plain “nori” (the flat seaweed used for sushi rolls) makes for a fabulous snack when you get the munchies! Just make sure to make sure they didn’t stick any other ingredients in there like soy sauce or sweetener.

Back to the topic at hand, I’ve been having trouble with the whole kim chi thing too.

It’s been covered before:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst809_CAn-i-eat-kimchi-while-doing-the-diet.aspx
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1469_breasteeding.aspx
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

But if you notice, the answer has differed.

Part of the issue is what is actually in the kimchi. I saw some at the store today that had grape juice, apples, vinegar, and sugar as ingredients. Probably not a great pick. But then, I saw some online today with the following ingredients:
    chinese cabbage, daikon, carrots, chili pepper powder, green onion, sesame seeds, ginger, salt, “flavoring”, amino acids, extract of “ami” (whatever that is), and salted fish entrails. Obviously, this is probably a better bet, but I’m thinking there might be something even purer out there.

In general, Korean kimchi is probably better than Japanese kimchi, which tends to be sweet rather than spicy (hence the fruit and sugar).

Anyway, I’m still uncertain about kim chi’s (or rather, kim chi’s ingredients’) place in the diet, so I’d also love to hear an answer on this from someone more senior. Please assume we’re talking about store-bought kim chi, please!

Jeska
    Topics: 1

Yeah I figured out the nori trick, but it’s not very filling…and yeah, it is waaay more difficult while living in Asia then I expected.

And yeah I am largely speaking of store-bought kimchi but being that I am in Korea, I run into home made stuff all over the place, and my Korean is not enough to really ask what goes in it…

Yes please help us Candida experts!

ssrapos
    Participant
    Topics: 0

Looks like it’s been a long time since anyone was here… But that’s ok. I’ll post anyway.

I am very new to the world of fermented foods. Like, so new that I have never tried kimchi, years ago I let natto spoil ’cause I didn’t know what to do with it, and there’s literally one brand of horseradish that I like and I only ever have it at Passover and I’m not even entirely certain that it’s fermented.

However, my boyfriend has become convinced that he has a yeast infection, so I’m looking at things I can make for him. He wants to kill it the vegan way, meaning no probiotics in the form of yogurt or keifer or anything like that. So kimchi is what I’m looking at. You can totally do vegan kimchi, apparently. Really, kimchi is fermented cabbage plus whatever you put in with it for flavour and seasoning. That’s why there are so many different recipes.

When it comes to the candida in the body using the kimchi as a food source, it really would have everything to do with what’s in the kimchi. If the kimchi is very sweet, it probably uses high sugar fruits or simply sugar. Yeast LOVES sugar. However, I’m given to understand that some sugar is necessary for fermentation. By using a low sugar fruit, you should actually limit what is accessible to the candida. Honey might be another option, as it’s anti-bacterial, but since we’re dealing with a yeast that’s gone wildly out of control, I would think it might be best to avoid even honey at this point. I saw mention of using lemon as your fermenting sugar, but I haven’t seen any vegan recipes that use it. I’m thinking I’ll still try a small batch using lemon, maybe not give it to the boyfriend just yet, but just to see how it turns out.

The whole point of using fermented foods to fight a yeast infection, though, is that they promote the growth of good bacteria in the digestive system with then eats the yeast. If anyone is familiar with the fish-keeping hobby, compare yeast in the gut to algae: a little is good. A lot is bad. Healthy colonies of good bacteria help to keep algae (yeast) under control. Most closed systems need more bacteria added to them regularly in order to remain healthy. This is where fermented foods come in, as long as they’re made using ingredients that are not going to feed the yeast as opposed to the bacterial cultures. A kimchi using apples, for example, might be a bit risky, as apples are high in sugar. So then. What about cranberries, strawberries, blackberries, or limes, all of which have 5 grams or less of sugar per 100 grams of fruit, as compared to bananas at 12g, apples with 10g, pears with 10g, Navel oranges with 11.9g, watermelon at 6g, pineapples with 10g, mangos with 14g, grapes with 16g… You get the picture. I think it’s worth a try anyway. Lemons and limes would just make it mouthwatering, I think.

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

OK so you’re not understanding how fermentation works. The fermentation process uses up those sugars. The longer you leave it to ferment, the fewer sugars there will be.

Don’t worry about how much sugar (natural or otherwise) you put in – if you ferment it long enough, it will all go away.

Fermentation can use natural sugars too. Start with something easy like sauerkraut. You just cut up some cabbage, add salt, cover it, and leave it for a week. Easy!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kimchi and Low Energy..’ is closed to new replies.