Kefir's okay but not dairy? (yogurt and half and half)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir's okay but not dairy? (yogurt and half and half)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marbro 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JaneneBean
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 35

I find this particularly contradicting. If we can make homemade kefir that is chalk full of calories and carbs, made with milk…why is it that we can’t have organic yogurt and I’ve been told that a little half and half (with almost NO carbs) isn’t allowed on the diet. It doesn’t make sense. Kefir is extremely high in carbs. The benefits of it being a probiotic are well known, but there are many probiotics with less carb in them. So some expert needs to explain to me why it’s okay to eat this type of sugary carb and not something with less sugary carb.

Here’s an article I found detailing the food values in kefir.

“One cup of plain kefir made from nonfat cow’s milk has 110 calories. The 240 g serving contains only 2 g of fat, 12 g of carbohydrate, and 11 g of protein. There is some residual sugar from the milk, about 8 g, which is about 3 percent of the 240 g serving. With 3 g of fiber, the net carbs are only 9 g. Other types of kefir have varying amounts of nutritional advantages and disadvantages.”

ldewild
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 32

I don’t get that either. I wonder if the deal is the sugar. Try consuming only plain yogurt or kefir, without any added sugar or fruit. Better yet, try goat kefir or goat yogurt. I find that goat yogurt likes me more than cow yogurt ever did.

Also, if I understand things correctly, the kefir and yogurt should be avoided during the first stage of the candida diet. It’s okay during the second stage and thereafter.

If plain yogurt or kefir sounds yucky, you can use stevia to sweeten it.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

That information sounds pretty off, since you won’t find any dairy that contains fibre or any carbs other than lactose.

Greek yoghurt is recommended on the forum diet, at least. It’s fermented longer than natural yoghurt, so it contains more probiotics. Both kinds of yoghurt are around 6-7% lactose, but you’ll see a lot of brands of natural yoghurt that are higher.

The kefir sold in my local supermarket is 4% lactose. Kefir contains many more strains of bacteria and in much greater numbers than yoghurt, and this is especially true if you make it yourself. Making it yourself allows you to eliminate next to all of the lactose and end up with a much greater probiotic count.

Kefir is easily the best choice, even commercial kinds if you can find a good brand. It works out cheaper and is more effective if you get hold of some grains and make it yourself though. If you can’t tolerate dairy, it’s even possible to make it with sugar and water.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d like to correct you on the stages of the diet:

stage 0: cleanse
    stage 1: long strict diet
    stage 2: when you feel good again and can handle more cheat items
    stage 3: basically half candida diet and half regular person diet

Well, the reason we don’t allow dairy as in milks, cheeses, etc is that because they contain more lactose than a serving of greek yogurt. For instance, if you drank a whole bunch of milk throughout the day, this is a lot of lactose. If you drank one cup, it wouldn’t be that bad, but still it is a lot. Lactose converts to sugar basically. Cheese is avoided because of molds.

You cannot avoid sugar completely on the diet, it exists in almost all foods. 1g of sugar in a pound of coconut flour, 3g of sugar per head of lettuce, 4g of sugar per red onion, one cucumber contains 5g of sugar, one can of pumpkin contains 4g of sugar…there is no way to do a no sugar diet. This is a low sugar diet and not a high sugar diet. If you are concerned about sugar intake per day, limit yourself to about 25g of sugar (that is raster’s rule of thumb).

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2439/2

Why greek yogurt? It contains less sugar per serving than all other yogurts. Regular yogurts contain 17-25g of sugar per serving or so, and greek yogurt contains 7-11g of sugar or so. Which is better? Kefir, the longer it ferments, contains less sugar than the label states it does. If you make it at home and let it ferment an extra long time, it’ll contain less sugar.

If you didn’t eat either of these, you wouldn’t get extra probiotics. You would just be getting what your probiotic pill contains and this may only contain 3-14 strains.

-raster

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Just stay away from the store bought crap and make you own kefir. When I first looked it up I was in no mood to make that hippy crap. But the fact is that the store bought stuff just does not compare to the home made kefir from grains.

Now I’m knee deep in the hippy crap. I make both milk and water kefir. I make cheese out of it. I use the whey for skin treatment and I ferment veggies like sauerkraut withough having to use salt.

Learn to make your own and the sugar content will not be an issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kefir's okay but not dairy? (yogurt and half and half)’ is closed to new replies.