Kefir smell

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir smell

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

I’ve been making milk kefir from real kefir grains for about a week now, and have noticed that my kefir has a very pungent sweaty feet/old socks kind of smell. Is that normal? What is it supposed to smell like?

And how thick is kefir meant to be? If it’s relatively thick and lumpy like yoghurt after 24hrs of fermenting, does that mean I need to add more milk to the jar?

SomeDay
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 42

M;40822 wrote: I’ve been making milk kefir from real kefir grains for about a week now, and have noticed that my kefir has a very pungent sweaty feet/old socks kind of smell. Is that normal? What is it supposed to smell like?

And how thick is kefir meant to be? If it’s relatively thick and lumpy like yoghurt after 24hrs of fermenting, does that mean I need to add more milk to the jar?

I did kefir for months and it only smelt like that the first batch, which I drank and it was incredibly sour and pungent. The rest of batches that went well smelt/tasted acid but pleasant, a bit like vomit but with an addictive nuance to it that vomit lacks (lol) Make sure the kefir doesnt have a yellowish colour on top, you might need to “purify” or rinse. Or maybe your kefir grains are still adapting.

If you do the kefir with raw goat milk its very liquid. If you do it with pasteurized goat milk its thicker but still not like yogurt. Finally, if you do it with pasteurized cow milk, its very thick, very lumpy and has one of the worst tastes I have ever experienced. It also smells worse.

M

Well, I’m using cow’s milk so that might be why. It doesn’t smell or taste too pleasant at the moment. Hopefully over the next week or two it’ll get better. I’m not a big fan of milk, so drinking a glass of that stuff a day isn’t something I look forward to. Just hope it has a positive effect on my gut.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I put a LOT of cinnamon and ginger powder to mine and it makes it a lot more palatable.

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

M;40830 wrote: Just hope it has a positive effect on my gut.

I’ve just been on a research rampage on google scholar and I am now more enthusiastic than ever about the potential benefits of kefir! Though most of the science has been conducted on mice, it appears to vastly increase beneficial gut flora when used in the long term and also has extremely positive effects on the immune system. It also apparently prevents and reduces cancerous tumours! Can’t say much healthier than that.

M

Well that’s good to know Cheesey! I sure hope it’s true. I’ll give it about three months or so and see if I notice any improvement in my general health. I guess it’ll take a while for any effects to be noticed.

How many glasses of kefir a day are you guys drinking? Is there a limit? I’m adding 2/3 cups of milk to each batch right now, but that’s a bit too much for me to drink in one go, so I end up pouring the rest down the drain before making a new batch.

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

how long do you guys keep yours before you toss it?

i just got a freeze dried kefir kit pretty runny w/some lumps

i’m not sure how long it’s good for so if i can’t remember when i made it last i’ll dump it, but last night i used it in a facial and loved it! skin so smooth

alexalgebra

I drink about a pint or maybe 3/4 pint a day. I have stored it in the fridge for a few days; I think it’s ok in there for quite awhile.

M

@Emsmith,

I guess the freeze-dried stuff can last up to a week in the fridge.

@Alex,

Are you using real kefir grains or the freeze-dried stuff? If you use kefir grains, don’t you make a new batch every 24hrs or so? That’s roughly what I’m doing. I leave it out constantly.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,

I have been reading this post and have so insight on Kefir.
    I purchases my milk kefir grains fron Cultures for Health. I hydrated the grains as directed and haven’t had any problems. I live in South Florida where it’s warm. My grains ferment in about 12 hours. They taste the best at this time. Consistancy is thick and sometimes lumpy. Sometimes I refrigerate them and sometimes I let them go for a 2nd fermentation. They will last several weeks in the refrigerator. The longer they set the more tart they will taste and the odor will be stronger also. Find a place that your Kefir is comfortable. Mine happens to be on a piano bench in my frontroom. There is a fan in the area. They do the best there for me. Best of luck,
    Miriam

M

The last day or two, I’ve gotten a slight tingling/burning sensation on my tongue and dry lips after drinking the kefir. Anyone know what that could be?

alexalgebra

I have grains, and yes, I’m constantly fermenting. Although they’ve gotten a little weird the last couple of ferments 🙁 My kefir has been watery and funky, so hopefully they’ll perk back up ASAP.

M

Has your kefir ever tasted slightly fizzy?

alexalgebra

It’s supposed to be slightly fizzy. The bacteria produce gas as they eat the sugars in the milk. Bacteria farts!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kefir smell’ is closed to new replies.