Kefir problems

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir problems

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Himawari 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

qwerty
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Hi, I tried to make my own kefir a month ago with freeze dried grains I bought from this website http://www.nourishkefir.co.uk/index.php?pgid=63.

My kefir was still very runny after 30 hours in the kitchen, but I tried a small mouthful anyway(it tasted very sour, and like off milk, so I didn’t drink any more). Later I had a really upset stomach and had quite severe diarrhea (I have no allergy/intolerence to lactose).

I just wanted to know that if kefir is not fermented properly/left out too long can it cause an upset stomach?

I am currently making another batch at the moment. I’d be grateful if anyone could tell me what kefir should taste like, smell and look like because I am quite anxious about trying it again.

ICanDad
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 19

It is normal for kefir to have sour taste because some of the good bacteria convert lactose to lactic acid.

I use kefir grains instead of kefir starter. I usually strain the grains in 12 hours. It is usually a little bit sour at that time. The longer the time, the more sour it becomes.

Just make sure to use clean bottle and cover the bottle with a loose lid or coffee paper so no bad bacteria or mold can get in.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

My kefir did not come out good (meaning I didn’t eat any) and I think its because the temperature in my house is too cold. You need to keep kefir out to atleast 70 degrees F. My house is about 60 degrees most of the time because I have oil heat. I guess I will have to wait until spring…

-Raster

qwerty
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Thanks for the replies. I have now put the kefir in the airing cupboard as that it probably the warmest place in the house and I will see if that helps. I think I might get the actual grains next time if this helps with the taste.

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

I’m no kefir expert, since I’ve just started making it myself, but I’ve picked up two tips that could help:

1) There is such a thing as kefir made in a refrigerator. It takes about five days or so from what I’ve read. If you’re worried about your house being too cold for the kefir to properly ferment (i.e. if the indoor temp drops lower than 70-odd degrees), this might be a good route to take.

2) When you get new grains, the first few batches should be tossed. When grains go through the shipping process, they need a few “warm up” batches before they can produce proper kefir. Also, there’s a likelihood that you’re using different milk than the previous grain owner. The grains need time to adjust whenever you switch milk bases as well.

3) When on the diet, you can start having reactions to things you never noticed reactions to before. I never realized I was sensitive to soy and non-organic eggs before, but now the former gives me headaches and the latter worsens my eczema. So if you’ve been avoiding dairy for the past few weeks, it might actually be the dairy causing the reaction.

When I first put my new grains in the milk two days ago, they weren’t looking so good (they had gone several days without milk) and didn’t seem to do anything the first 24 hours. The second 24 hours, however, they started fermenting. By this point, however, the milk had of course gone bad from sitting on the counter for so long. So after 48 hours I strained the grains out and put them in fresh milk. I’m going to toss this batch after 24-48 hours as well just in case. My goal is to make coconut milk kefir, but I’m going to start with milk kefir and hopefully not have a reaction.

Also, don’t forget to ferment in a glass container, only use wooden spoons when handling, and keep the fermenting kefir out of direct sunlight!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kefir problems’ is closed to new replies.