Kefir Grains vs. Kefir starter kits

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir Grains vs. Kefir starter kits

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kirstyk4 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

I am interested in making my own kefir soon. I know we’ve discussed making kefir from the starter kits, but I am curious about the grains. The kefir grains can have 20-30 beneficial bacteria and up to 20 kinds of yeast. I just wanted to make sure that the yeast produced with the grains will not set me back any on the diet. I think I remember reading on here somewhere that the yeast from the grains will not hurt me, but I wanted to double check. Some of the starter kits I’ve looked at have 8 to 12 kinds of bacteria. Thought I could get more bacteria for my money with the grains.

Even if the grains might be a little more work, I am willing to do that if I can to get a variety of beneficial bacteria. Just concerned about the yeast.

Thank you!

Kirsty

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Kirsty.

Kefir grains are fine, and you’re right about it being even more beneficial than the starter. Just be sure to read several information websites about kefir before trying to make it especially the ‘trouble shooting’ sites.

Good luck on that, Able

kirstyk4

Thank you Able,

There was a lot more to it than I had originally thought, but I am still interested for the benefits. 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Somehow I completely failed to make kefir correctly. I need some tips for the next time around. I am pretty upset because I used raw goat milk which won’t be available until next march!

I bought a kefir starting kit that has packets of kefir.

Directions I followed:

1)Get milk to boiling point and then cool to about 70 degrees F.
    2)Once at that temp., add the kefir starting kit to the milk and stir.
    3)Place in a sealed container (preferably glass) and let sit for 24-36 hours.
    4)Then strain to seperate liquid part from chunky part. Put chunks into a new container and add milk to make more!

Well, after 36 hours, the kefir has not formed. No chunks at all and almost completely liquid. No seperation of the milk into various layers either; it just looked like milk that has been sitting for 36 hours with no activity!

What did I do wrong?

I am thinking that the room temperature in my house is too low. We use oil for heat which is expensive to say the least, so we keep the house at 58 degrees F during the day and about 65 degrees F when we are home. We can tough out the cold and this isn’t that bad at all for temp.

I am also thinking maybe the kefir starting kit is bad or old.

Please help! I want to make some soon!

-Raster

kirstyk4

Raster,

I think you are right about the temperature causing the problem. I read a little from this site:

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-troubleshooting-FAQ-advice

Although it is about the kefir grains, I imagine it is very related…

It explained that it works best between 68-78 degrees. When it goes below that temperature it is dangerous because other bateria can grow instead of the beneficial bacteria.

I am very sorry about the waste of your goat milk! I might run into the same issue because 68 is about the warmest we keep it in our house and most of the day both of us are gone.

There are heating pads you can purchase for making kefir that keeps the jar (container) a little warmer so that it is within the range needed for it to be successful. I haven’t checked the cost, but might be helpful during the winter months.

I hope your next batch comes out better!

Kirsty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Kefir Grains vs. Kefir starter kits’ is closed to new replies.