Kefir as a probiotic – take with caution

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Kefir as a probiotic – take with caution

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jameskep 5 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

RachelY
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

I just want to advise caution with regard to drinking Kefir as a probiotic, if you still have candida in your system.

I had successfully followed a sugar, wheat, gluten and yeast-free diet for over a month (basically eating green veg, some meat and brown rice/quinoa – not easy as everyone knows). I had experienced quite severe die off, but was begining to see some real improvement in my symptoms and allergies and general energy levels/well being. I decided, on the basis of advice given on this website, to add kefir to my diet as a natural probiotic. I bought a starter kit and drank a small glass 3 days in a row. My symptoms all started to get worse and I felt pretty bad. Note, I did not change anything else in my very strict routine/diet.

I immediately stopped the kefir and am back on track.

It’s heart-breaking to have this happen after so much effort following the diet. Luckily I seem to have bounced back without too much of a negative effect on my health.

Please think twice before using kefir – at least until you feel that you are fully clear of candida.

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Also mention that kefir like vinegar is a high histamine food. So some people might have a sensitivity to kefir and think their experiencing die-off like symptoms with kefir when they could be actually experiencing a histamine overload.

http://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/histamine/articles/histamine.html

“6. Avoid fermented foods such as cheese, wine, vinegar, fermented sausages, soy sauce and sauerkraut as these naturally contain high levels of histamine.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Kefir as a probiotic – take with caution’ is closed to new replies.