Is there a test for Candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is there a test for Candida?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sage 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

forsure
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi all

I’m wondering if there is a test for Candida, other than the spit test. I have Lyme Disease and my doctor just “decided” that I have Candida because I “crave sweets.” He’s putting my treatment off until “we get the yeast under control.”

He put me on a diet that includes NOTHING but the following: unprocessed meat (i only eat chicken), tofu, soybean products, eggs, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, cabbage, green beans, wax beans and bread made from sprouts (which states on the label that its made with yeast, so i don’t think that can be right! I haven’t eaten that!). That’s IT. there was no talk about being able to add anything in the future or different phases and he said I’ll be eating this way until I’m done with treatment (appx 1.5 – 2 years). He also has me on 8 pills of Nystatin daily which makes me vomit, but he insists i figure out a way to take it. He said now i have to be on a bland diet (really? more bland that what i’m already eating?) and take an antacid before bed.

He is NOT a registered dietitian and I feel its unethical for him to being telling me to eat this way. My mood swings and emotions are out of control (I’m assuming because of the immediate carb depletion). I’ve been eating this way for four weeks and feel no different, other than the fact that even if i scratch an itch, i’ll bruise from it, and I’ve lost 20 pounds in the last month!

I went to see a registered dietitian and she confirmed that the diet is not correct, and not safe to be on.

Needless to say, I’m in the market for a new Lyme Doctor, but I have to ask, is there a way to test for Candida??? I can’t see how someone can assume one has this, and put them on such an unhealthy diet and expect them to stay on it for more than a year!!

Please help!! 🙁

Mary

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You can do some kind of test at a doctor’s office (or naturopath) where they measure your IgA, IgG and IgM levels. This costs between $100-250 (US) and requires a few doctors visits.

There is also some kind of “mail in” tests where you mail in a sample and they send back the results.

How did the spit test turn out for you?

I would recommend going to a naturopathic doctor (they can test you at some places) and they will put you on a better diet.

I definitely would change your diet to something else. While it is mostly really good, I don’t think the supplements sound terribly helpful and you need a different plan. A naturopathic doctor can set you on the right course.

sage
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 13

Hi Mary,
    If it was me, I would want a second opinion. I`m new to all this however what you have described (for your diet to treat Candida) does not seem quite right to me.
    If it is any encouragement, the information on this forum is extremely good & accurate for Candida. I have no doubt one of the regular posters will have some excellent suggestions.
    Hang in there.
    Steph

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Is there a test for Candida?’ is closed to new replies.