I'm hungry!!!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions I'm hungry!!!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

I’m on day 5 of the diet (though I’m not new to the candida diet and have been trying variations for a while).. I’m feeling ok die off wise as I’ve done a slacker version (with beans and sweet potatoes) a few weeks beforehand and I think that actually helped but the one thing I cannot handle is I am so hungry ALL THE TIME! I am constantly thinking about food and looking for something to eat!

I was vegetarian up until 2 weeks ago so I’m used to feeling hungry but this is driving me crazy! Plus the meat should be filling me up shouldn’t it?

And I’ve been filling up on homemade bread and scones (using brown rice flour and natural yoghurt etc) and I’m sure the amounts I’m eating cannot be candida friendly!!

Any good filling up ideas anyone?

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Katy, you poor thing! I know this isn’t really exciting, but my very first thought when I read your post was WATER! I drink insane amounts of water everyday and it really does help you not feel terribly hungry. Also, I have low blood sugar, so I eat small meals very frequently – like every 2 hours. If I don’t keep approved snack foods around, I get very grouchy very quickly! 😉

Here are a few snack ideas:

raw almonds (only if you can digest them well. you’ll know if you can’t!)
    sunflower seeds
    raw or lightly roasted pumpkin seeds
    no brainer here – raw veggies 🙂 I like red pepper strips
    almond butter on celery sticks (sometimes I put sunflower seeds on top for crunch)

I eat a HUGE salad for lunch each day. I mean BIG. And I don’t skimp on olive oil, avocado, nuts, veggie toppings either. Sometimes I add a can of wild caught tuna. Most days I can barely finish my salad. It fills up a large dinner plate in a big ol’ mound.

Maybe you could make a pot of veggie soup 1-2x per week and just keep it in the fridge for snacks – not meals. That way when you’re really hungry, you could have a bowl of soup and maybe some raw veggies, too. You don’t want to store food too long in the fridge with this diet, though, because of possible mold growth. Maybe try to just make enough that you could eat in 2-3 days.

I hope this helps out some. I’m working on some seed energy bar type things. I’ll share the recipe if I get it passable enough.

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

Hi there,
    well my first thought is, what was your diet like beforehand? You mention being always hungry as a vegetarian? What were you having for protein before adding meat?
    I’m a long time vegetarian myself. The herbalist I’ve seen recommends only 12oz of carbs in the early strict phase, for 4 weeks.
    Also, the water is huge, for filling you up and flushing out toxins. I try for like 4-6 liters a day. I sometimes get the sparkling lemon water, the carbonation helps fill me a little more.
    Anyway, protein is key, nut butters, whatever meats you are eating, yogurt, eggs. I also do the huge salad thing but for dinner.
    I will say that for the first 4-5 days, I was going through just general withdrawals. From quitting caffeine, alcohol, all the yeast, huge carb reduction,sugar, etc. I was hungry all the time for those first 5 days, and even though I knew why it was happening, why I was so hungry, another part of me thought -I can’t do this for weeks and weeks!
    It was just a matter of going through that initial withdrawal though (separate from die off). Maybe load up on water, protein, cut your carbs WAY down, and see how you are doing once it’s been a full week?

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Thanks for replying to my posts Hope and veg2!! You’re advice has been great… So what about quinoa, brown rice etc. – they’re supposed to be cut way down at the beginning too?

Nuts I can tolerate in small doses and avocado, oils, yoghurt etc. only in small doses too or more if its mixed in with something. Eggs I’m ok with as long as they’re scrambled so I can stick to that I guess. Really looks like I’m going to have to go full blown with the meat but it’s sooo expensive here!

I actually live in Bahrain (Middle East) so it is much harder to get things out here. We have an organic shop but they stock about 5 different veggies (and they look questionable!) and chicken, salmon and beef (lots of pork funnily enough but ew) but a whole chicken costs in the range of 20 pounds/$30!! It gets a bit draining on the purse strings :S.

Do either of you have a blog or know of a good blog with some good recipes? Or perhaps some good book ideas? I’ve been following most of this site, along with Erica White’s Beat Candida Cook Book and skimming through The Yeast Connection but I find them all so different!

This forum sure helps though 🙂

I’m also thinking of investing in the ‘Yeast Infection No More’ e-books. Anyone know much about those?

Thanks again!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Katy.

I also know exactly what you’re talking about as far as being hungry all the time. Being a man who runs a business full time (I’m talking about being on the telephone sometimes at 11 PM due to time differences), I seem to be hungry a lot of the time. I no longer eat red meat, only organic chicken and organic eggs for protein, and I don’t have the chicken available every week. I usually have it maybe 15-20 days out of a month, so I depend an awful lot on eggs prepared every way possible. A good idea is to keep a bowl of boiled eggs around all the time to grab in a pinch. You can make egg salad out of Organic Yellow Mustard which is made with apple cider vinegar. I’ve read that you can also make coleslaw with it (no mayo of ourse), but this is something I can’t attest to as yet.

The hunger is something that I’ve just recently learned how to control … sort of. What I’ve done in addition to a few other things is add coconut flour bread to my daily diet. Coconut flour makes very, very dense food items, so this bread has turned into a daily life saver for me. I eat it in many different ways; making my easy-over eggs in the morning with two slices in the skillet along with the eggs often placed on top, delicious. For lunch and/or dinner I usually have a dipping oil and toast the bread in the oven. When the oil is brushed over the bread or the bread is dipped into the oil, it gives a fantastic flavor to the bread. If you’ve never made dipping oil, a good recipe to follow is below:

Combine the following in a small container, and you can use it for several days or longer.

1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp of basil
    1/8 cup of finely chopped garlic or you can sub 1/8 cup minced garlic, or even garlic powder, but obviously, on this diet the minced or chopped is better.
    Sea salt and pepper to taste.

I’ve also read that dried thyme, a fresh bay leaf, or crushed peppers (I imagine paprika would also work here) can be added, but haven’t tried any of these as yet.

You can either use fresh or bottled spices for this recipe, and if you let it sit for at least four hours, it will of course absorb more of the spice taste.
    Coconut flour bread may not be regular bread, but it’s very filling and nutritionally good for this diet. It’s low in carbohydrates, very rich in vitamins, calcium and even iron, and it contains up to 40% dietary fiber and lots of protein (the recipe I use calls for six eggs per loaf). The bottom line is to literally fill youself up with good food, and yes, considering the types of foods we have to eat, that is a full-time job.

Avocados are great, I eat at least one to two every day. Nuts I can’t eat at all; I guess I’m lucky in a way because with my particular Candida infestation I receive almost immediate reactions from foods that are feeding or that irritate the Candida. So once I have this reaction, from there on I stay completely away from the food, and any type of nut, soaked overnight or not, is one of these ‘reaction’ foods. I eat the Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt at least twice a day. I stir in a couple of heaping tablespoons of coconut cream concentrate to bump up the taste as well as texture, and have a couple of coconut flour cookies with it. All of this is of course in addition to the regular vegetable-filled diet.

As far as recipe blogs are concerned, you will learn to adapt many recipes to your diet by substituting foods you can eat for those that you can’t. A good example is, when baking foods which call for flour simply use coconut or other flours that are allowed on the diet. To find the recipe sites, just key in the search term, “candida diet recipe blog.” Here’s one site to get you started.
    http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/candidadietrecipes.html

One other thing; if you still go through a ‘starving’ period after eating more filling foods, this is sometimes a symptom of die-off for many people, myself included. It’s often accompanied by a mild feeling of nausea, but not always. If you’re not already using a product by the name of “Candidate by Native Remedies” for the die-off symptoms, consider purchasing a bottle of this. This is the absolute best product I’ve found to date that totally eases the die-off symptoms, and believe it or not, it works immediately, especially if you’re having the feeling of nausea. Molybdenum is another great product for this, plus it’s a great liver detox product. Of course, with all of this information I’m assuming and hoping that you can order products such as these from either the USA or another country.

Good luck to you, Katy.
    Able

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘I'm hungry!!!’ is closed to new replies.