German vegetable soup with saurkraut and turkey/chicken breast

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Lunch & Dinner German vegetable soup with saurkraut and turkey/chicken breast

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  mrs.candida 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

This is my new favorite soup. I’ve found that a lot of German food is appropriate for this diet. The original recipe calls for smoked turkey or chicken breasts. Also if you’re one to make enough in one night for many leftovers, I advise you to double this recipe. Oh, and feel free to add more of every vegetable.

Ingredients:

3 tbs coconut oil (recipe calls for butter)
    1 lg leek
    1 lg onion
    1 celery rib
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 c fresh sauerkraut (definitely add more)
    5-1/2 c beef broth (preferably homemade and rich. You can really use any type of broth here)
    1/3 c apple cider vinegar (recipe calls for Reisling or other dry white wine)
    1 lg egg yolk
    1/2 c greek yogurt (recipe calls for creme fraiche)
    1/4 lb thinly sliced turkey or chicken breast, but in matchstick strips.
    2 tbs minced flat-leaf parsley.
    1 med head of cabbage
    for others who might be enjoying this soup with you:
    2 med carrots
    1 lg baking potato

*melt oil in large pot over medium heat and add onion, leek, (carrots), celery, cabbage, bay leaf, and pepper, and saute, stirring often., for 2 min., until onion, leek, and celery are limp and golden. Add sauerkraut, (potato), broth, and apple cider vinegar, and bring to simmer over high heat. Adjust heat so mixture bubbles gently, cover, and simmer 30 min.
    *Blend the egg yolk with the greek yogurt in a small heat-proof bowl until creamy. Whisk in about 1cup hot soup liquid, then stir back into pot, and cook and stir for 2 min —> DO NOT ALLOW soup to boil or yogurt may curdle. Add turkey and stir for 2 min longer. Sprinkle in parsley and simmer 1 min. Remove bay leaf, and serve. (pg. 118 “The New German Cookbook” By Jean Anderson and Hedy Wurz)

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I made this tonight for dinner, it was delicious! Thanks for posting it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘German vegetable soup with saurkraut and turkey/chicken breast’ is closed to new replies.