Fruit Juice Fermenting – Water Kefir Grains Looking Sickly

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Fruit Juice Fermenting – Water Kefir Grains Looking Sickly

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Smitty99 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Pelowtz
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 0

I was not getting good results with simple sugar water with my grains (raw organic cane sugar and filtered water – 3 batches) so I switched to fruit juice and coconut water. My grains reacted very well and really exploded in size and activity.

First I used coconut water and they loved it – and the final result was fantastic. Then I used unfiltered organic apple juice – again the grains almost made the juice bubble over. Now I am trying orange juice.

My first question is how many people use fruit juice? How much success have you had? I hear that it can be bad for the grains and that you should use sugar water periodically, but I have not had success. Would it be OK to only use fruit juice? What are your favorite fruit juices?

Second, I recently left my grains in some apple juice for WAY too long, probably 5 days. when I took them out they looked shriveled and generally sickly. I assume this is because I starved them. Should I be worried about my next batch? I put them in 100% orange juice right afterwards. What should I look out for?

Any information, direction and similar experiences would be greatly appreciated, and of course if there are other threads you know about please let me know.

Thanks!

Jesse.

Smitty99
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 227

You are correct, you did unfortunately starve them. I would go through a hydration process with them to get them back to health. That would consist of putting them into some sugar water for 24 hours and then again for 24 hours usually.

I wouldn’t drink the water because they need to regain their health to guarantee they are working well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Fruit Juice Fermenting – Water Kefir Grains Looking Sickly’ is closed to new replies.