Food traditions

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Food traditions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  kirstyk4 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mstewart
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 47

I was wondering if anyone else noticed after starting this how many things we do in this country that we celebrate with food And not just any food, but bad food.
    Cookies at Christmas, Birthday cake, Valentines day chocolate, etc.
    I would like to know what people who have been on this diet long term have done in their lives to change things like birthdays, anniversaries, etc from the food directed, do you have birthday salads?
    Something else I’ve noticed is that when I tell people that I can’t have sugar or grains or fruit, they look at me as if I just told them I have cancer. These are not necessary to living! My eyes have been totally opened to how horribly we eat in this country.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

First of all, I would never say, “I can’t have…” whatever is offered to me. I would simply say “Thanks anyway.”

We’re just not junk food eaters in our family, so the food isn’t a problem; and if new guests are present, they learn pretty quickly that our whole family is more health orientated than ‘what’s for dessert?’ Sure, there are times when we’re at parties, etc. when we just have to say, “No thank you” to cakes and other sugary foods, but the people close to us have come to know that this is who we are. If it bothers them in the beginning, they either get past it or leave, it’s their choice just like our food preferences are our choice. It’s really all about individual free choices and no one else’s concern. Or so it should be.

Able

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

Like you, Mstewart, I find that this diet makes it very hard to enjoy family gatherings as much. The hardest thing for me is explaining to people why I am not eating a piece of cake (or whatever bad food is provided). I think for some, it is a surprise to see me not eating any because EVERYONE else is. And maybe a part of them feels guilty because they are eating some and I am not. I hear a lot of “you have a lot of willpower” and “you are such a health eater”.

I find that it is much easier if you explain to your close family and friends what you are doing. I was very surprised at how helpful my husband was when I finally told him what I thought was happening with me. My family has also been patient with me and for that I am very thankful. I think for a lot of people, the concept of candida is very hard for them to grasp because most doctors deny it. I have had some friends ask me why I am doing this to myself (eating so healthy) if a doctor didn’t suggest it.

I have gotten into the habit of trying to bring something that I can eat to a family function. I share it with my family, and that way I have something I can eat as well. It helps with the questions at least. And if you bring something really yummy, family and friends might consider a healthier options instead. For example, I made mashed cauliflower for Thanksgiving instead of using potatoes. It went over pretty well with my family.

This diet is a HUGE change from the way society currently eats…and for that it is often hard. But maybe sometime in the future more knowledge of candida will get out and more will consider healthy options instead of carbs and sugar.

Also, many of us picked the hardest time of year to stick with the diet. I started in late September…shortly before Halloween…then Thanksgiving, and now Christmas and New Years. But it is also forcing us to make a lifestyle change for the long term. If we can make it through the holiday season, then we can make it any time of the year. 🙂

Might check out the recipe section. There are some interesting “fake” recipes for common things that are provided at family gatherings.

Kirsty

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Yep, it can certainly be tough as all of those occasions are based around the food & drink. It will get tougher over Christmas but up until now I’ve just brought my own (if it’s a big gathering) or explained before hand if it’s a samller gathering and you want to save the host embarrassment. People would prefer you to have something to eat that you brought yourself than to feel bad at you standing there empty handed.

I always have a lemon and a pack of buckwheat crispbread in my bag for emergencies. And take an avocado/ boiled eggs/ tin of sardines discretely if I’m going to be out over lunchtime at someones house.

We had a tea party for my son’s first birthday on saturday and I made loads of things I could eat and which others could enjoy too…
    *A slection of dips (avocado, baked aubergine, yoghurt dips) & crudite (cucumber, pepper, raw cauliflower & brocolli, celery)
    *Homemade chicken goujons (organic chicken, buckwheat to coat)
    *Garlic chicken wings (I can get a tray of organic chicken wings v cheaply, marinade in apple cider vinegar/ olive oil, crushed garlic, salt & pepper)
    A tray of boiled eggs with homemade mayonnaise & a sprinkle of paprika.
    *A cold seafood platter – Wild Salmon, prawns, crab claws (I’ve tested all of these) served with aoili (homemade garlic mayo)

I did gluten free & regular pizzas for the kids (homemade healthy-ish version) – my son & mother are coeliac. And also did gluten free muffins & birthday cake which I obviously didn’t have either. BUT I’ve never been a sweet/ dessert person anyway so didn’t miss it… and really didn’t feel hard done by as I had such a fantastic selection to nibble from!

I also purposely planned the party at lunchtime so that people wouldn’t expect a drink (although a few of the Dads did have a bottle of beer) and that made it easier to abstain too!

It’d all in the planning, really.

Lx

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Sorry, on another point – I also find it’s easier to say “I’ve been diagnosed with a yeast allergy… which is a pain because yeast & suggar are in most things” and then they don’t think you’re being faddy or fussy.

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

That’s a good idea Lucy. I will have to give that a try next time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Food traditions’ is closed to new replies.