Eczema + candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Eczema + candida

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Marbro 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

raguraga
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hello,

Could anyone please share their experiences with the candida diet and curing/improving their eczema?

I’ve been on the diet for two weeks now, and I am not seeing any progress with my eczema- in fact, it has gotten worse. Normally I use cortison creams to control my eczema, but since that may increase candida I have stopped using it these last two weeks – hence why my eczema is now worse than before.

I would appreciate hearing anybody else’s stories – successes, failures, tips, etc when it comes to eczema.

Thanks!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have Candida or just eczema?

First thing to keep in mind is that antifungals can’t necessarily treat eczema since it isn’t a fungal infection but rather an inflammatory skin condition, however, the Candida diet can help.

The most common causes of eczema are malnutrition and pollution of the body caused by various toxins, this unfortunately includes toxins produced by Candida and other yeasts.

So this is why the diet can help since it’s basically a detox diet.

The diet you can use is located here:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

If you don’t have a Candida infestation but only the eczema, then you can add dried
    beans to your diet and one fruit a day. However, you should choose a fruit having a very low-sugar content since sugar is just as bothersome for eczema as it is for Candida. A Granny Smith apple, lemons, limes, apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, coconut (fresh, not packed), and coconut milk are examples. The beans are useful as a protein source instead of so much meat.

Since meat, especially beef and pork add to the amount of toxins in your body, I would avoid these and eat young fish like sardines and herring, organic chicken, and organic eggs as protein sources.

Able

Jeremiah
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 31

Being a vegan for years, I use protein powder by Garden of Life called Raw Protein. It’s made from raw organic sprouts. It doesn’t taste very good so you have put something without sugar in it to help that part, but it’s by far the best raw organic protein out there. It has 17gr. per serving or scoop full, and 28 scoops per container, which a months worth for 30 bucks isn’t bad. I take 2 scoops a day, so I need 2 containers a month, as I weight lift. It also has live probiotics, enzymes, and Vitamins A, D, E and K. Being organic and vegan, its gluten and dairy free.

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

Hey raguraga,

While a few people here on the forum have had eczema problems, it’s one of the less frequently cited symptoms, and is usually paired with gastro-intestinal, etc. complaints. However, I started the diet with only one symptom: eczema.

I had never had any problems with my skin until about a year before starting the diet, when I sudden got really bad eczema all over my body. Like you, I was using cortisone creams to help control the symptoms, but the second I stopped using them the horrible red, itchy, scaliness came back. Since I didn’t have any other candida symptoms (other than a little white film on my tongue), I thought this was a stab in the dark. But I suspected that something about my diet was triggering the eczema, since no matter how much I changed my environment, stress levels, etc. there was little to no change in my symptoms. I have had allergies almost all my life, but stronger allergy meds, allergen-free living conditions, etc. didn’t solve the problem. So there had to be some other factor I was missing.

Does this sound similar to your situation?

Anyway, I started the candida diet for two reasons. The first is the obvious: in case I actually had a candida overgrowth. The second, however, was that with the exception of seafood and eggs, very few of the foods on the diet cause allergic reactions. So even if the problem was a food sensitivity, not candida, the diet would still be beneficial to me, as frequent problem foods like corn, wheat, dairy, nuts, etc. are not consumed.

My experience has been that the diet has WORKED, but it took a while. I had really awful die-off symptoms at the beginning, and I didn’t start to see any improvement in my skin until about 4 weeks in. Around that time I began slowly weaning myself off the cortisone creams (I had been using then daily up until that point along with massive amounts of lotion). About six weeks in, I stopped using the creams all together. About eight weeks in, I saw an 80% reduction in symptoms. It’s been about twelve weeks now, and I’m about 90% symptom-free. I still have to apply lotion after showering and washing my hands, but I haven’t touched the creams since over a month ago.

The past three weeks, I’ve had some issues with my symptoms almost entirely clearing up, then flaring back up, then clearing up again. I think the culprits are eggs that aren’t 100% organic (I was eating some semi-organic eggs for a little while there), and dust mites (I haven’t been good about cleaning my room and washing the bedding lately). However, at this particular moment in time, I’m about 80% better than before I started the diet (when I was using the creams every day), and 95% better than my eczema at its peak (when I wasn’t using the creams and my entire body was covered in a horrible rash). I have a small rash on my right hand, my armpits are still a little itchy, and the skin on my torso can still get itchy without lotion, but other than that I am eczema-free ^_^ Because of this bouncing back and forth, I’ve been hesitant to start reintroducing foods back into my diet (stage two), but I plan on beginning to do so once I’ve been 95% symptom-free for at least a week or two (probably in about a month, which translates to a total of four months on stage one… my original plan was to only do this for three weeks! Unfortunately though, this really can be a slow-going process).

To summarize, my advice to you is this:

– Follow the diet presented here on the forums as strictly as you can (I’m yet to “slip up,” but I do eat a lot more chicken and millet/buckwheat than recommended, and once a week a serving of organic beef or pork because it becomes too hard to function otherwise… basically, it’s better to follow the diet 95% for three months than 100% for three days and then give up because it’s too hard)

– Keep using the cortisone creams on each rash until it is at least 75% cleared up. Even if the cortisone supports the candida, it’s not worth making your skin worse in the process. The worse your skin is, the longer it’ll take to heal anyway (and you’ll be miserable in the meantime!)

– Wait at least a month (if not two) before deciding that the diet’s helping or not. Unfortunately, something like eczema-damaged skin isn’t going to magically heal overnight, even if you’re doing everything right.

– Don’t forget about eczema-specific suggestions! Like sticking to cool or cold water to wash your hands, eating lots of avocado, fish, olive oil, etc. (this really helped my face in particular), not scratching, avoiding itchy fabrics, keeping sweating down to a minimum (and toweling down immediately after exercise), etc.

– Realize that everyone is different, and what worked for me, what worked for the other people on this forum boar, and what works for you is not going to be identical. This diet may help or it may not. But from my experience, I say it’s worth a shot! Anything’s better than having to rely on cortisone creams long term (they’ve got some scary side-effects).

Good luck!

raguraga

Himawari – thank you SO much! I was about to loose all hope before reading this, and YES that sounds VERY familiar.

I also have had allergies my whole life, and small bouts of eczema – but usually just some dryness by my elbows. Then about a year ago, it spread to my whole body and I have been unable to control it since.

I read a book called “The Skin Care Diet” (http://www.amazon.com/Skin-Cure-Diet-Eczema-Inside/dp/0595358837) where the author followed a candida diet for 6 weeks and got rid of her eczema.

So, basically I am following her plan and not the one on this website, although they are similar. Hers is stricter I think (no millet or buckwheat) and the supplements are different. What are you currently taking if you don’t mind me asking? And what did you take over the first couple of weeks?

Again, thanks so much!!

Himawari

Raguraga,

I’m so glad my reply was helpful. I had the same issue when I first came to the forum of “has this diet actually helped anyone with my symptoms?” so I figured I should share my story.

Regarding your questions,

Actually, those of us on the forum board share a different, stricter version of the diet than is posted on the website itself. You can find pretty much all the information you need about the forum version of the diet here:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1922_Index-of-Posts.aspx

I’d recommend taking a look through and see what you think. This is the diet I’ve followed almost exactly (except I didn’t do the cleanse stage), and I’ve had really nice results, so that’s what I’d recommend. Does the diet you’re following not allow any grains/grain-like foods at all? I’ve been eating millet and/or buckwheat every day of the diet… if I didn’t, there’s no way I’d have the energy to simply make it through the day.

I actually have been taking very few supplements. I know I should, but I got a reaction after I started taking them, and have been a bit gun shy since, even though I don’t think the reaction was necessarily from the supplements. I also have been bad about taking a probiotic. I haven’t taken any non-food anti-fungals, either. Lots of garlic and dried oregano, however. Also like I mentioned earlier, lots of foods with essential fatty acids and healthy oils, which both help provide the ingredients for my skin to self-moisturize, and have prevented me from losing any weight on this diet.

So at least in my case, simply following the diet was sufficient for significantly lessening my symptoms.

In the off-chance that you haven’t already, I’d be sure to do a web search for non-dietary eczema suggestions. What really helped me was getting a special shower head that filters the chlorine and other drying elements out of the water. Switching soaps, shampoo, and conditioner really helped too. Also, be sure you have a really good moisturizer! I’ve been using Cetaphil Restoraderm and have been pretty happy with it. When things were really bad, I got moisturizers from a dermatologist (ironically, this was so I could get a moisturizer as basic as possible, since so many commercial ones contain unnecessary and potentially irritating ingredients).

raguraga

Thanks again Himawari… such a relief to hear from someone who’s gone through the same!

I looked at the forum diet and it seems pretty similar to the one I’m following – except mine has no grains at all, no eggs and no dried herbs! I’m definitely going to start eating millet and buckwheat and the end of this week. Are you able to eat any types of bread or do you eat millet and buckwheat as a porridge type substitute? The dried herbs may have mold in them supposedly, so that’s why my book says to avoid them – no clue if that’s true. At first the diet was driving me crazy but now that I’m used to it, it’s not too bad – hopefully I can keep it up for another couple of weeks!

Thanks for the other tips too. I’m going to use my cortison cream again (my skin seriously needs it at this point) and invest in a shower head. The water in London is really, really hard and dries skin super quickly…

I can’t imagine not having to slather on tubs of lotion every morning and evening – that’s great that the diet has been working for you! Hopefully it continues to work and you can re introduce some foods. I’m willing to stay on this diet for months if I have to, in order to get rid of the eczema, but it would be really depressing to not be able to eat normally again…

Anyways, thanks again!

Himawari

As I live in Japan, I use the millet and buckwheat (I buy the groats) as rice substitutes. They can be cooked in a rice cooker just like normal white rice, and can be eaten in the same way together with meat or fish, warm or cold, freshly made, or from the fridge/freezer. They also do well in lunch boxes, as when made in a rice cooker they’re about the same consistency as white rice, rather than porridge-like.

This site has recipes for coconut bread and buckwheat bread (see the recipe section). As ovens are not standard issue for Japanese apartments, all I’ve got is a stove top, microwave, and rice cooker. But if you have an oven, feel free to make either of these!

I’ve been eating dried herbs, but I can understand where there might be a mold concern (that’s why our version of the diet doesn’t allow nuts). Eggs are a major component of our diet, but could be an allergy issue for some people. Basically, it all boils down to what’s the least of multiple evils. You can’t eat nothing after all.

Glad to hear you’ve gotten used to the diet. Good luck from here on out!

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Hi!

I am also dealing with skin issues and found that installing a water filter in your shower will help a lot. Even if you just have minor dry skin, this will help. It removes the clorine and other harmful things. You can get a decent one for around 30-40 bucks on amazon or home depot or and good one for around 80 bucks. I hope that helps!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Eczema + candida’ is closed to new replies.