Courgette Brownies

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Snacks & Treats Courgette Brownies

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  M 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

kryssy
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

If you have a glut of courgettes this time of year here’s a great way to use some of them up. These brownies freeze beautifully for defrosting and nibbling when the urge takes you.

I use a tea mug for measuring in this recipe which holds roughly 300ml. It is the sort of recipe which turns out well even if the quantities vary slightly.

You will need a square tin about 20cm x 20cm – or the equivalent round or rectangle – lined with greaseproof paper. I actually make 1 and a half times this recipe for my larger tin and then freeze most of them.

Ingredients:

4 eggs
    1 & half cups of oil (not olive)
    1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
    1 rounded teaspoon Stevia powder – more or less as you wish
    1 cup rice flour
    1 cup coconut flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons carob powder (you can use less if preferred)
    3 cups finely grated courgette (no skin or seeds)
    1 cup chopped nuts (optional but can make the brownies slightly dry)

Method:

Whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla seeds together until pale and slightly thicker.

Into a separate bowl sift together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, carob and Stevia.

Pour in the eggs/oil mixture, grated courgettes with their juice and nuts (if using).

Mix it all together, either with the whisk or a spoon. It will be quite liquidy.

Important – Cover and leave the mixture to sit for about 15 to 20 minutes so that the coconut flour can absorb some of the liquid.

Pour into the tin and bake at 350F or 180C for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Leave to rest for 10 minutes once cooked then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Cut into squares and if you want to freeze some pop them into bags or boxes as many as you want together.

These are lovely warm or cold with a dollop of yoghurt for a dessert or just on their own for a treat now and then.

granolamama
    Replies: 13

so carob powder is actually ok to use? it is not like chocolate?

granolamama form South of France now living in the US :_)

kryssy
    Replies: 5

Hi Granolamama

I believe Carob is fine because, unlike cocoa, it does not contain any caffeine. I’ve seen recipes for the Candida diet using 100% unsweetened cocoa but I don’t think that is wise since caffeine is on the “no” list.

One tablespoon of unsweetened carob powder has 25 calories, no fat, no saturated fat, no cholesterol, and 6 grams carbohydrate. By comparison, one tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder contains 12 calories, 1 gram of fat, no saturated fat, no cholesterol, and 3 grams of carbohydrate.

Gram for gram a candy bar made with carob has about the same amount of fat and calories as a chocolate bar, although the taste and texture are different. Carob also contains three times as much calcium as cocoa powder. It doesn’t taste the same of course but it is the nearest you can get to chocolate. I use it a lot and am now so used to it that even the sight of real chocolate turns me off.

Funnily enough, hubby and I have just taken out a couple of brownies from the freezer, popped them into the microwave and had them with our mid-morning tea.

Good luck.
    Kryssy

NadjaB
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 60

It looked good and smelled good .. But I had to throw it all out because neither I or nor my family likes it. So, unfortunately, not a good cake for me. Damn..

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

Carob powder, rice flour and nuts are NOT on the allowed foods list. Tread with caution.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Courgette Brownies’ is closed to new replies.