bloating/gas

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions bloating/gas

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

I have been on the Candida Diet for about 5 weeks now. While I’m not doing it as 100% strict at the forum strict diet, I’m doing it pretty darn close. A few things you might not agree with that I’ve been doing is eating organic chicken and some fish 4-5 times a week (rather than the 1-2 times you recommend) and EVER so rarely meat- but not in weeks – I’ve stopped that), eat soaked almonds, and use coconut milk in my 100% chicory Root coffee . Other than that, I think I’m OK. I do eat non-fat plain greek yogurt (Oikos), not sure if you would disagree with that, but anyway…

I have been having terrible bloating and gas this past week or two…especially at night. My stomach is all distended and I am very gassy with intestinal yuckiness. I would have a hard time believing these symptoms are an allergic reaction to food because before the candida diet I ate TONS of garbage (carbs, wine/alcohol, junk food, etc) with no gassiness/bloating and now I am very healthy with the diet and do have these problems. I do antifungals, take MegaFlora probiotics (20 strain) 2x a day, etc. So could the diet be causing this? That’s what I think is happening. I had intestinal problems like 10 years ago back when I wasn’t getting enough calories and had a bit of an eating disorder. Taking probiotics back then helped me (and also getting over my eating disorder), but probiotics aren’t helping now. I think I’m getting enough calories even with the diet because I haven’t lost weight and I use a lot of oil in my food (cooking veggies and my salad dressing), and drink teaspoons of EVCO which has high calorie content.

Is there something I can take to help with the gas/bloating? Bitters?
    Advice appreciated. Thanks!

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Could be caused by all sorts of stuff when you make sudden changes to diet/lifestyle, but what about these?

Too much veg too soon. Digesting veg requires a completely different profile of gut flora to your carbs, wine, junk food diet, and the adjustment takes time. Depending on the diversity in there, you may not be able to tolerate certain kinds of fibre well until you find a way to add new bacterial species.

Salt intake. Cutting out processed foods means your salt intake is dependent on what you voluntarily add to foods. Low-carb diets also increase the need for sodium. Deficiency means trouble maintaining hydration, which is bad news for clogged bowels. Increased thirst, excess peeing, and inability to taste salt are tell-tale signs. Simply drinking more water can further exasperate electrolyte imbalance.

High doses of probiotics increase gas and would add to any bloating problems caused by the veg. This is probably another case of a need for adaptation. Try reducing the dose until you get things under control.

Poor thyroid function. High-carb diets can act as a crutch for weakness, and a reduction can bring out the underlying condition. Low-carb and low-calorie diets also naturally lower active thyroid hormone levels. Symptoms include lack of gastric acid and constipation. Be sure you are eating enough calories to maintain good metabolism, and try to eat enough carbs (~60g/day) to keep out of ketosis. If you feel you have other symptoms, get them checked by a doctor.

Anti-fungals. I’m sure die-off toxins affect bowel function too, but I’m not sure of the mechanism. You’d likely notice other symptoms, like skin outbreaks, if you were constipated with excess toxins, because they’d be reabsorbed.

I’d try reading up about excess PUFAs too. This diet is a great opportunity to reduce an accumulation in the cells (something that takes many months/years), and eating almonds, poultry (much higher PUFA content than ruminants) and excess olive oil means you miss out on this opportunity. Your saturated fat to PUFA ratio seems pretty decent though. I’d try eating yoghurt with some fat, even if it’s reduced, because those lovely fat-soluble vitamins will end up in the toilet (literally) without it. Studies have shown that omnivores can still maintain a low stool pH, so I wouldn’t worry about that level of animal protein consumption as long as it’s nutrient dense and the rest of your diet is pro-SCFA-generating. You could consider mixing in organ meats and bone broth/gelatin to improve the poor amino acid balance of muscle meats/eggs only.

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

Hi Javitzy,

Great feedback. What you said makes a lot of sense. My gut does need to make a lot of adjustments to this new diet, and I think in the past couple of week’s I’ve been a lot better about it, eating lots of veggies, taking these “stronger” probiotics, etc. So I agree with the idea of stepping down the probiotics a bit. I might take it once a day, rather than twice a day. I’m fine with that b/c they are expensive so it’ll save me some money!

I do think I’m having a salt deficiency problem, b/c I recently had blood work for an issue I was having and they said everything is fine except I had “low sodium.” I take medication for sodium (I have an auto-immune disease– Addision’s which requires I take something called Florinef for salt) so I increased it a bit. Also, next time I’m at a doctor, I will get my thyroid checked out to be sure everything is OK. That is actually something I need to get monitored with my Addison’s.

I definitely hear you about the excess PUFA. I will try to cut back on the almonds, and can switch to yogurt with some fat. I don’t know about organ meats…don’t know if I can bring myself to eat brains or liver, lol, but it’s a good suggestion 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I also would look at your meat consumption as the cause of the problem and if you reduce meat consumption, you’ll likely notice an improvement.

If you add in some hydrochloric acid (HCL) this can completely reduce or eliminate gas symptoms. I take a vitamin with it in it called zypan and its done the trick for me.

-raster

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘bloating/gas’ is closed to new replies.