Mold really did a number on me too. I could taste the mold in the house – smelled like dirt and I would clean and two or three days later there was brown dirt on everything. Yeah – get rid of the carpet – but I’d ask – Do you know why it’s there? Do you have a crawl space under that floor? Do you have a dirt basement. If so – be very careful. Mold can come up through a dirt basement through the floor – since you mentioned hard wood. I finally found out about my house from an Air Quality test. The petri dishes DO NOT work. sigh……and the Air Quality tests are very expensive. I hope I’m not writing too much, but thought I’d throw this out there in case. My cat spent four days in ICU – two days pretty much brain dead from the mold. It’s NOTHING to mess with.