A ‘quick bread’ is one that’s leavened with baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast. They are usually quite sweet, so most people associate quick breads with flavors like pumpkin, banana or honey and spices. But quick breads are also a wonderful base for savory flavors.
This Savory Zucchini and Pesto Bread is made from three non-glutenous flours: millet, buckwheat, and almond. These help to create a tender texture. As it bakes, the pesto melts into the bread, keeping it moist. It’s a bread full of the flavors of a summer garden, of zucchini and freshly made pesto, with a divine aroma.
Making your own pesto is so easy. Be sure to use the freshest basil you can find. Consider buying a basil plant and grow your own leaves. Even if you don’t have a garden, a sunny kitchen windowsill is the perfect spot for growing a small container of basil.
This Savory Zucchini and Pesto Bread is delicious on its own as a snack or served toasted with breakfast. And when the weather begins to cool, it’s perfect for when you need a little bread to go with a hot bowl of soup.
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 1 1/4 cups millet flour
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup light buckwheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. psyllium husk powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts, such as pine nuts or slivered almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup pesto (see recipe below)
- 2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted nuts, such as pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Brush an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan with a bit of oil, then line pan with parchment paper, set aside.
Grate zucchini, then place between a few sheets of paper toweling to remove excess moisture. Set aside.
In a medium size bowl, add millet flour, blanched almond flour, light buckwheat flour, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, then set aside.
In a small bowl, add almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine, then set aside.
In a large bowl, add the eggs and whisk until pale and frothy. Next add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar mixture and olive oil. Whisk to combine. Then add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Finally fold in grated zucchini and chopped toasted nuts.
- Pour bread batter into prepared pan. Dot batter with teaspoonfuls of pesto, then swirl pesto into bread batter with a knife. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes, then remove bread from pan and cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
Add basil leaves, toasted nuts, garlic, salt and fresh lemon juice to the bowl of a food processor. Process until mixture forms a paste, then gradually add oil, processing until mixture is smooth.
Pesto can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Pesto can also be frozen. Freeze in an ice cube tray, then store frozen cubes in a plastic freezer bag.
There are so many tasty meals that you can make on the Candida diet. You can find more than 100 delicious recipes, just like this one, in the Ultimate Candida Diet program, which I created with Dr Eric Wood. There’s lots of advice on foods to eat and avoid, as well as which supplements can help to fight your Candida.
3-Month Candida Elimination Kit Start Your 3-month Candida Cleanse
This Candida Kit contains all the supplements recommended on the Candida Diet:
- LIVER ONE to process and remove the toxins created by Candida.
- CANDASSIST to inhibit and weaken the Candida colonies in your gut.
- PROBIOTIC to replace the Candida yeast with probiotic bacteria.
Plus... the CANDIDA DIET RECIPE BOOK with 50+ low-sugar recipes