Green Chili Chicken Stew
There’s nothing like the smell of roasting chilies – just ask anyone who has visited New Mexico in the autumn during chili harvest. The fresh roasted chilies give this stew a flavor that is deliciously smoky and earthy. Serve steaming bowls garnished with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges. Pumpkin seed oat biscuits make a nice accompaniment.
You can use canned green chilies, but roasting your own is much better! Roast your chilies about 6 inches below a preheated broiler until the skin is charred and blistered, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Then seal them in a plastic bag or in a covered bowl and let them stand 10 to 15 minutes. Lastly, peel off the skins and scrape out seeds and membranes with a spoon.
You’ll see that this dish is packed full of vegetables, contains no grains, and include no added sugar or sweeteners. This is exactly the kind of dish that the Candida diet is all about. It’s great for your gut health, contains all the nutrients that your body needs to keep you healthy and active, and (most importantly!) is a real pleasure to eat.
- 2 Tbsp. oil, such as olive or coconut
- ½ cup zucchini, cut lengthwise, then into 1/2 inch slices
- ½ cup yellow squash, cut lengthwise, then into 1/2 inch slices
- ½ cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ cup chopped green chilies (see note above)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Avocado slices (optional)
- Fresh cilantro (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the zucchini, yellow squash, onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add shredded chicken, green chilies, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer stew covered over medium low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in lime juice just before serving. Garnish bowls of stew with sliced avocado, fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
Stews and soups are excellent options for cold winter nights on the Candida diet. Our Ultimate Candida Diet program is packed full of gluten-free, sugar-free recipes like this. It contains more than 100 recipes in total, and they’re all perfect for the Candida diet. Find out more here.
3-Month Candida Elimination Kit Start Your 3-month Candida Cleanse
This Candida Kit contains all the supplements recommended on the Candida Diet:
- LIVER ONE to process and remove the toxins created by Candida.
- CANDASSIST to inhibit and weaken the Candida colonies in your gut.
- PROBIOTIC to replace the Candida yeast with probiotic bacteria.
Plus... the CANDIDA DIET RECIPE BOOK with 50+ low-sugar recipes
This soup was great! Thank you for the recipe and help through my candida journey.
I’m curious at what stage chili can be eaten? I was born and raised in New Mexico, and store roasted green chili all year round. Since going on this diet, I stopped eating both red and green and would love it if I can bring it back soon.
Thanks so much for this easy yeast free recipe!! I loved it and so did my non candida sensitive partner 🙂 great site.
I’m not a culinary person or a foodie and so I got tripped up on the squash. I left the skin on which was a mistake. My gf said that had I roasted it, it wouldn’t have been an issue. Let this be a warning to the other rookies out there. Otherwise it was a lovley hearty meal with just the right amount of heat.
I made this & it was DELICIOUS!!