This is a tasty Eastern European dish that combines lean meat and lots of vegetables. Most cabbage roll recipes include lots of rice, added sugar, and other foods that should be avoided on a Candida diet.
For this version I’ve removed the added sugar and used buckwheat groats instead of the rice. The result is a healthy, filling meal that works great on a Candida diet.
Cabbage is a great probiotic food and can also help to heal the gut lining. Reducing intestinal inflammation is a key goal on the Candida diet, and cabbage juice is a well known for repairing and protecting the intestinal membrane.
If you haven’t eaten buckwheat before you might think it’s a grain, but actually it is a fruit seed. Diets high in buckwheat have been linked to lower cholesterol and better control of blood sugars (both good news for anyone suffering from Candida symptoms). It is also totally gluten-free.
I use buckwheat a lot in my cooking. You can use buckwheat groats in a dish like this, or bake healthy cookies with buckwheat flour. I hope you enjoy the cabbage rolls!
- 1 lb minced beef or lamb
- ½ cup uncooked buckwheat groats
- 1 egg
- 1 head of cabbage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Tear 6-8 leaves off the cabbage and cook in boiling water or steam until wilted enough to be flexible. Set aside to cool.
- Add the meat, uncooked buckwheat groats, chopped onion, egg, salt and 2 of the minced garlic cloves to a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll the meat and buckwheat mixture up into the cabbage leaves and put them in a baking dish.
- For the tomato sauce, sauté the other onion, the remaining garlic and the chopped tomatoes in a wide based pan.
- Place the stuffed cabbage leaves in a baking dish and drizzle with the tomato sauce. Add 1 cup of water and cover.
- Bake in the oven 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt.
Nutritious, tasty meals like this are what the Candida diet is all about. If you’re looking for more ideas, check out our Ultimate Candida Diet program. It includes more than 100 tasty recipes for every meal and every stage of the Candida diet.
Beat your candida in 60 days with this detailed 5-step program
If you're looking for a more comprehensive Candida treatment plan, check out the Ultimate Candida Diet program, written by Lisa Richards and Dr Eric Wood. This plan is based on the latest research into Candida Related Complex, and contains everything you need to know to beat your Candida overgrowth.