Here’s a simple roasted chicken recipe that contains lots of healthy vegetables and plenty of delicious herbs and spices. Several of these ingredients (for example the rutabaga, garlic, onion, olive oil and more) are Candida-fighting foods too.
The seasoning mix that I have used in this recipe is very versatile, and can be used on all kinds of meat, fish and vegetables from the foods to eat list. When you buy herbs, make sure to avoid the really cheap, irradiated brands that are imported from China. When it comes to herbs and spies, you really get what you pay for. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into ½ inch thick strips
- 1 rutabaga, peeled, halved and cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 Tbsp. seasoning mix (see below)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup black olives (packed in water)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup homemade broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. cayenne
- To make the seasoning mix, simply combine all ingredients in a jar. Put a lid on the jar, then shake well until mixed.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
- Spread onion, fennel, yellow pepper and rutabaga slices evenly in the bottom of a large roasting pan, creating a bed. Arrange chicken pieces on top of vegetables, sprinkle with seasoning mix (see below), then drizzle with olive oil. Lay lemon slices on top of chicken pieces, scatter sliced garlic and black olives into pan and tuck in a few fresh thyme sprigs. Finally, pour broth into the pan.
- Roast chicken for 15 minutes at 425 degrees F (218 degrees C), remove from oven, baste with pan juices. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees F (191 degrees C), return chicken to oven. Roast chicken for about an hour more, until juices run clear and temperature reaches 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) in the thickest portion of the chicken. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme.
Looking for more gluten-free, sugar-free recipes? My Ultimate Candida Diet program contains more than 50 delicious recipes, plus lots of valuable advice on which foods to eat and avoid. Find out more here.