Zinc and HCl

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Zinc and HCl

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jameskep 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

I’m currently supplementing with Magnesium-Calcium-Zinc. Yesterday I started with supplementing HCl. I’m on 2 tablets per meal now.
    But now, I read that zinc lowers the amount of HCl your stomach produces. Does these two supplements interfere with each other?

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

It depends on the form of the zinc.

The stomach will regulate its internal pH. There are lots of sensory nerve endings that react directly to the stomach’s acidity, because it is extremely important that the stomach have the right acidity. This is important both for digestion and for killing parasites.

For most any food you eat, the stomach’s acidity decreases after eating. The stomach responds immediately by closing the exit to the intestines, and by increasing its HCl excretion. This continues until acidity has reached normal levels again.

Returning to your question, if the zinc you take is in any highly acid form, the stomach will have to produce less HCl than when the zinc is in some caustic form.

Thus, it is not the zinc itself that reduces the HCl production of the stomach. It is the stomach’s normal response to the acidity of the “food” (in this case: supplements) you take.

The same applies to your HCl intake. Let’s say that normally, your stomach would have to produce 5 ml of HCl in order to maintain its acidity. Let’s assume that your supplemental HCl intake is equivalent to 2 ml of stomach-produced HCl. Then when you take your supplemental HCl, the stomach will respond by producing only 3 ml of HCl, because that will then be enough to achieve the desired acidity.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Zinc comes as zinc gluconate, which is the zinc salt of gluconic acid. This is ph neutral.

Floggi
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 425

Well, now we’re getting outside my field of expertise, so all I can do is make some general remarks.

The zinc gluconate may be neutral, but I can not tell what effects (in the sense of: chemical reactions) the zinc will have once it’s inside the stomach. It might undergo some reaction which either increases or decreases the acidity of its environment, or it might have no effect at all on the acidity.

(As you see, there are lots of “may” and “might” in my wording. I’m really merely “thinking aloud”, so please view my remarks as thoughts, not as statements.)

I guess, however, that the above effects do not really count even if they do occur, because the amount of zinc is too low to have a noticeable effect on acidity through these mechanisms.

A wholly different effect may occur if the zinc binds to the stomach’s acidity receptors, or even poisons them. That may cause the stomach’s acidity regulation system to not function normally. I really cannot tell if this is possible at all.

Sorry I can only provide some thoughts. I don’t want to pretend I’m sure when I’m not, so I openly share all doubts and disclaimers that apply.

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

The calcium(especially the harder to digest forms) will buffer some HCl. Zinc requires more HCL for the body to break it down into a more absorbable form/smaller molecule. Minerals that are cultured seem to be easier to assimilate/digest than the mined minerals. I found New chapter and Megafood(cultured vitamins) to be easier to digest than the other brands. People with digestive issues or producing Low HCl should stay away from hard to digest mined minerals. Chelated minerals just help the stomach to produce a little more HCl ,but does not really change the molecular size of the mineral to make it that much easier to digest and assimilate. I’ve seen some info that most of the minerals on the market are only about 5-40% absorbed. One of the main purpose of plants is to take the raw minerals from the dirt and downsize it into a smaller size so that it can become much easier for us to utilize.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Zinc and HCl’ is closed to new replies.