Zico Coconut Water – Okay for kefir?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Zico Coconut Water – Okay for kefir?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fml432 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

fml432
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 35

So I bought a single carton of Natural Coconut Water from Zico (NOT the flavored ones), and here was the nutrional facts as given on the website:

I used this brand of kefir grains to make some homemade kefir:

Body Ecology Kefir Starter Kit

Now the 14g of sugar scare me. I’ve been on the actual diet for about 4 weeks now. I’ve been very strict with how much protein I have, and have yet to have introduce anything new since I started having chicken and fish. I just want to know–do the benefits outweigh any risks involved? I HAVEN’T had any of the kefir yet, but it is ready. Now I’m just second-guessing my choice of coconut water. I saw cans that actually said “unsweetened”, but I got this one because the price seemed better for how much I was getting.

Hy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 59

fml432 wrote: S
    Now the 14g of sugar scare me. I’ve been on the actual diet for about 4 weeks now. I’ve been very strict with how much protein I have, and have yet to have introduce anything new since I started having chicken and fish. I just want to know–do the benefits outweigh any risks involved? I HAVEN’T had any of the kefir yet, but it is ready. Now I’m just second-guessing my choice of coconut water. I saw cans that actually said “unsweetened”, but I got this one because the price seemed better for how much I was getting.

I’m not sure if the coconut water from a box will actually ferment, but it’s worth a shot. You don’t have to worry about the sugar because the good bacteria will actually feed off the sugar and need the sugar to ferment. In the Body Ecology book, there’s talk about how boxed water isn’t optimal, but it works in a pinch. Even if you can get your hands on one whole coconut and add that water to the boxed water, it will turn out better, so say the book authors.

You want it to taste fizzy and sour. It will look cloudy and pale when it’s done.

Good luck!

nikki
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 136

I was of the opinion that Coconut Water was on the Foods to Avoid list!!!!!!

Is it OK to Cut a Coconut from the Tree, Put a hole on it and drink that water???

fml432

Hy wrote:

S

I’m not sure if the coconut water from a box will actually ferment, but it’s worth a shot. You don’t have to worry about the sugar because the good bacteria will actually feed off the sugar and need the sugar to ferment. In the Body Ecology book, there’s talk about how boxed water isn’t optimal, but it works in a pinch. Even if you can get your hands on one whole coconut and add that water to the boxed water, it will turn out better, so say the book authors.

You want it to taste fizzy and sour. It will look cloudy and pale when it’s done.

Good luck!

It seemed to ferment just fine, though the taste is different from what you describe. There is a definite tangy/sour flavor there, though not overpowering, and it is mildly sweet (IMO). It isn’t fizzy at all, and I left it out to inoculate for the full 48 hours it instructed. (Coconut water takes longer to ferment). The kefir kit called specifically for young coconut water–not milk–so that was why I went ahead and tried it out. I didn’t have a lot of success making kefir with unsweetened coconut milk. I tried keeping the temp in the house to 72 degrees, as was required, and had it sitting in the kitchen where it was well lit with sunlight–not directly in the sun, but just as a precaution because my house’s heater is apparently not appropriate for the size of my house, and so does not heat properly. I put it in the fridge immediately after the initial fermentation period was done.

I tried following the instructions as closely as I could. I used a clean pot, heated the coconut water to body temp, and stirred the kefir in till it dissolved. The kefir was undisturbed the entire time I had it fermenting in a covered container.

Did I do something wrong that it isn’t fizzy??

Faith
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

Hmm…this is a good question. Mine has been going since the 9th (water kiefer grains)and there are lots of bubbles. I have had it with just a paper towel over the top to allow it to breath (this was in my directions). But when I strain it into a new glass and cover it with a tight top, the second day, not much bubbles at all, not like a coke or anything.

Today though I didn’t fill the jar all the way up and put a tight lid on it. Maybe by keeping a tight lid I will keep more fizz? I don’t know, I have no idea what I’m doing either!! Ha!!

Hy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 59

No, there’s nothing wrong with it if it’s not fizzy; the first batch from a starter often isn’t. Your next batch probably will be fizzy if you use 1/2 cup of this batch to start it. The most important thing is that it is sour and not sweet. You want all of the good bacteria to have gobbled the sugar. 🙂

Also, drinking straight coconut water from the coconut would be too sugary, which is why we culture it. The good bacteria feeds on the sugar and produces more good bacteria.

fml432

Thanks! Hopefully my next batch will be as you say. I’ll be making my next soon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Zico Coconut Water – Okay for kefir?’ is closed to new replies.