Your Unknown Underlying Cause? Methylation Dysfunction Symptoms

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Your Unknown Underlying Cause? Methylation Dysfunction Symptoms

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Author

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

kodaz2005;52053 wrote:

You can still get your dna data through 23andme, they just dont report your predisposition to diseases now.

ok thanks.

Just curious, are you able to interpret MTHFR mutations and other data on the report? I’ve seen the data on these and you certainly need someone with knowledge of these tests.
    I’m sure impossible would be glad to give you his input, but you should also check out Amy Yasko’s Autism: Pathways to Recovery. She is one of the leading physicians in this new field and to my knowledge her books are the ones that basically spurred this new focus on the methylation cycle and genetic SNPs.

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

kodaz2005;52053 wrote:

You can still get your dna data through 23andme, they just dont report your predisposition to diseases now.

ok thanks.

Just curious, are you able to interpret MTHFR mutations and other data on the report? I’ve seen the data on these and you certainly need someone with knowledge of these tests.

Yes.

First off, i recommend downloading and storing your raw data somewhere safe.

To get your methylation panel, you have to run your raw data through genetic genie, there is also a detox panel that is very useful too. There are actually several sites available to run raw data through, some free, some cost ya. For some of us, those other possible snp’s can be a gold mine. I recommend running your data thru genetic genie (and leave a tip if you can!) and mthfrsupport.com (costs i think $20). mthfrsupport also offers a consultation for a fee that would be useful as far as finding out what your data means for you.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

impossible;52056 wrote:

ok thanks.

Yes.

First off, i recommend downloading and storing your raw data somewhere safe.

To get your methylation panel, you have to run your raw data through genetic genie, there is also a detox panel that is very useful too. There are actually several sites available to run raw data through, some free, some cost ya. For some of us, those other possible snp’s can be a gold mine. I recommend running your data thru genetic genie (and leave a tip if you can!) and mthfrsupport.com (costs i think $20). mthfrsupport also offers a consultation for a fee that would be useful as far as finding out what your data means for you.

Thanks so much for the tips Impossible. This journey for me has been so long and painful for me like it has for most here. I’m very hopeful this will be part of the solution for me. I will post my results and what I have been able to determine once I get to that point. I ordered the 23andme test and I am waiting now to get results.

I have seen a few threads from you in this forum related to this topic, but I haven’t had an opportunity to read them all yet. Do you mind inspiring some of us on this forum with a possible update on your Methylation update if there is anything substantial to update.

Also, do people need to adhere strictly to a Leaky gut/Candida diet when they are methylating? One of the reasons I ask is I suspect I have heavy metal poisoning. If it turns out to be the case there a bunch of foods that should be avoided that contain certain amounts of metals in them, which would make the diet even more difficult.

impossible

kodaz2005;52239 wrote:
    I have seen a few threads from you in this forum related to this topic, but I haven’t had an opportunity to read them all yet. Do you mind inspiring some of us on this forum with a possible update on your Methylation update if there is anything substantial to update.

Also, do people need to adhere strictly to a Leaky gut/Candida diet when they are methylating? One of the reasons I ask is I suspect I have heavy metal poisoning. If it turns out to be the case there a bunch of foods that should be avoided that contain certain amounts of metals in them, which would make the diet even more difficult.

Well, I stopped using the LDN several weeks ago as it was causing too many infections. Then after a few weeks I added in only a small amount of methyl b12 (mb12), as my major holdup is with not being able to create enough of it and then using it up too fast. A few of my symptoms got better, though it was nothing like when I was feeling good on my full methyl protocol. But the bad stuff isnt nearly as bad either. My food sensitivities, as far as my fatigue, brain fog, anxiety etc. actually got better once I started on the mb12, but my igg symptoms, basically tore up burning gut, got worse. A few weeks after starting it I could get a bit loose with sugar and not have any effects. There’s still definately something left though, so im doing an antiviral, Th1 boosting protocol. And holy crap am I shakin somethin loose. The goal is to straighten things out by getting rid of other intracellular infections and rebalancing my immune system, then eventually getting back on my full methyl protocol. Then be normal and healthy:)

Any infections, leaky gut, and food sensitivities need to be taken care of before starting a methyl protocol. It is entirely possible even if methylation or other things are a real problem, you just have to take off your candida blinders and go after other infections that are inevitably present when candida is. Immune suppressing ones are the best place to start. Any other particular problems should be treated or at least accounted for, things like biotoxin illness, specific nutritional deficiencies or hormonal problems. If you start methylating a sick person, they will become sicker. If you methylate a sensitive person, they will become more sensitive. Many docs believe the best way to chelate is the natural way, boosting the bodies detox abilities by boosting methylation. Thats my plan, though that may not be best for everyone.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

I have not posted in quite awhile, but I need to. I have kept reading and looking up information everyday though on the forum. I have more reading and research to do into this, but my question is about b12. I know my brain fog and nervousness came more about in high school, when I got my braces (still have permanent wire on back of bottom teeth for fear of my teeth moving, but come on, it has been 15 years now). Should I look into getting it removed? Also, this b complex gives me energy, but I notice it makes me very jittery at times, can make me anxious or work great, and I only take 1 capsule; have tried 1/2 capsule. Any advice? I know I need folate and b12 though!!

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Gluten-Free-Coenzyme-B-Complex-Advanced-60-Veggie-Caps/49067

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

impossible;52252 wrote:

Well, I stopped using the LDN several weeks ago as it was causing too many infections. Then after a few weeks I added in only a small amount of methyl b12 (mb12), as my major holdup is with not being able to create enough of it and then using it up too fast. A few of my symptoms got better, though it was nothing like when I was feeling good on my full methyl protocol. But the bad stuff isnt nearly as bad either. My food sensitivities, as far as my fatigue, brain fog, anxiety etc. actually got better once I started on the mb12, but my igg symptoms, basically tore up burning gut, got worse. A few weeks after starting it I could get a bit loose with sugar and not have any effects. There’s still definately something left though, so im doing an antiviral, Th1 boosting protocol. And holy crap am I shakin somethin loose. The goal is to straighten things out by getting rid of other intracellular infections and rebalancing my immune system, then eventually getting back on my full methyl protocol. Then be normal and healthy:)

Any infections, leaky gut, and food sensitivities need to be taken care of before starting a methyl protocol. It is entirely possible even if methylation or other things are a real problem, you just have to take off your candida blinders and go after other infections that are inevitably present when candida is. Immune suppressing ones are the best place to start. Any other particular problems should be treated or at least accounted for, things like specific nutritional deficiencies or hormonal problems. If you start methylating a sick person, they will become sicker. If you methylate a sensitive person, they will become more sensitive. Many docs believe the best way to chelate is the natural way, boosting the bodies detox abilities by boosting methylation. Thats my plan, though that may not be best for everyone.

I think that for any intracellular pathogen there is nothing better than Cimetidine and Zinc. I am taking them now with great results. I am doing what I call an “state of the art” protocol to eradicate my severe chronic candidiasis. I have combined immune moduladors, a high dose of an azole drug, nystatin retention enemas, and Ibuprofen to target the infection. I have also re-started a chelation protocol after 3 months resting it. I was chelating with ALA 50 mg tablets for a year and 3 months when I stopped it.
    Taking high doses of Ketoconazole (400mg single dose) plus 400 mg of Ibuprofen to avoid acquired resistance or to revert it in any case, I am targeting the intracellular candidiasis. Cimetidine 1200 mg a day plus 50 mg of Zinc are boosting and modulating my immune system toward to cell-mediated immunity, a necessary thing to overcome the mucosal candidiasis. Nystatin retention enemas are targeting the colon lumen, an area very difficult to reach where the most concentration of candida colonies live.

This is a very serious protocol and the result of the best I have learned during these years. I am not sure what is the root of my candidiasis but chelating with effective chelators, driving the pathogens out of the tissues, should revert any acquired tolerance or acquired immune suppression. I am covering all with it. Cutler’s chelation system, a well elaborated anticandida treatment, and the best over the counter immune modulators. I forgot to mention I am also taking 1g of Apo-Lactoferrin to help the immune system and to starve my gut lumen of Iron. Pathogens need Iron to growth, instead lactic acid bacteria growth without Iron.

Cimetidine has been my best finding during the last two years. I didn’t use it immediately but always had it on hold. If this don’t work, I really don’t have any other inspiring plan for now. I hope it works as I planned it.

Jorge.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

impossible;52252 wrote:

Any infections, leaky gut, and food sensitivities need to be taken care of before starting a methyl protocol. It is entirely possible even if methylation or other things are a real problem, you just have to take off your candida blinders and go after other infections that are inevitably present when candida is. Immune suppressing ones are the best place to start. Any other particular problems should be treated or at least accounted for, things like biotoxin illness, specific nutritional deficiencies or hormonal problems. If you start methylating a sick person, they will become sicker. If you methylate a sensitive person, they will become more sensitive. Many docs believe the best way to chelate is the natural way, boosting the bodies detox abilities by boosting methylation. Thats my plan, though that may not be best for everyone.

Now I’m thoroughly confused. You say you need to heal leaky gut and resolve Candida problems before beginning methylation treatment. How is it possible that we can resolve leaky gut before methylation, when there is really no medically proven way to achieve this other than supplements such as glutamine. Are we left to just hope that works? The same goes for Candida. How do we really know it is gone. I believe any Candida is under control for me, but I have no way of knowing. I still have several side effects that I believe are likely leaky gut or metal poisoning related.

What also seems confusing to me is there was a link to an article posted online that was very well written about this subject. The individual seemed to be an expert regarding all of the facets of dealing with Leaky Gut, Candida, Methylation, Thyroid, hormones etc. He seemed to state almost that curing any one of these would require dealing with the other issues at the same time. While you seem to be stating the opposite. Please understand by no means am I questioning you. I’m just trying to understand what is best. I searched for the article, but can’t seem to locate it. I’ll try to locate the article.

Nice to Hear you making big strides. That is very good news, Congratulations! By the way, what is LDN?

kjones02
    Participant

kodaz2005;52255 wrote:

Now I’m thoroughly confused. You say you need to heal leaky gut and resolve Candida problems before beginning methylation treatment. How is it possible that we can resolve leaky gut before methylation, when there is really no medically proven way to achieve this other than supplements such as glutamine. Are we left to just hope that works? The same goes for Candida. How do we really know it is gone. I believe any Candida is under control for me, but I have no way of knowing. I still have several side effects that I believe are likely leaky gut or metal poisoning related.

What also seems confusing to me is there was a link to an article posted online that was very well written about this subject. The individual seemed to be an expert regarding all of the facets of dealing with Leaky Gut, Candida, Methylation, Thyroid, hormones etc. He seemed to state almost that curing any one of these would require dealing with the other issues at the same time. While you seem to be stating the opposite. Please understand by no means am I questioning you. I’m just trying to understand what is best. I searched for the article, but can’t seem to locate it. I’ll try to locate the article.

Nice to Hear you making big strides. That is very good news, Congratulations! By the way, what is LDN?

I concur about glutamate; I just started taking it every morning again to help my leaky gut after a stressful holiday season. good, bad? Can it make one tired, but I know I need it again to regulate my intestines.

impossible

kjones02;52253 wrote: I have not posted in quite awhile, but I need to. I have kept reading and looking up information everyday though on the forum. I have more reading and research to do into this, but my question is about b12. I know my brain fog and nervousness came more about in high school, when I got my braces (still have permanent wire on back of bottom teeth for fear of my teeth moving, but come on, it has been 15 years now). Should I look into getting it removed? Also, this b complex gives me energy, but I notice it makes me very jittery at times, can make me anxious or work great, and I only take 1 capsule; have tried 1/2 capsule. Any advice? I know I need folate and b12 though!!

http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-Gluten-Free-Coenzyme-B-Complex-Advanced-60-Veggie-Caps/49067

As far as the wire is concerned, do your own risk/benefit analysis. Couldnt that always be added back down the road?

Methyl supplements, especially too much-too soon (or just too much), not in proper balance (folate & b12), started during a time of inflammation, or in those with certain other snp’s can cause anxiety. That looks like a good supplement to take alone if you primarily have just a mthfr mutation. Demand for potassium surges when taking methyl supplements and the resulting deficiency can cause anxiety.

impossible

dvjorge;52254 wrote:
    I think that for any intracellular pathogen there is nothing better than Cimetidine and Zinc. I am taking them now with great results. I am doing what I call an “state of the art” protocol to eradicate my severe chronic candidiasis. I have combined immune moduladors, a high dose of an azole drug, nystatin retention enemas, and Ibuprofen to target the infection. I have also re-started a chelation protocol after 3 months resting it. I was chelating with ALA 50 mg tablets for a year and 3 months when I stopped it.
    Taking high doses of Ketoconazole (400mg single dose) plus 400 mg of Ibuprofen to avoid acquired resistance or to revert it in any case, I am targeting the intracellular candidiasis. Cimetidine 1200 mg a day plus 50 mg of Zinc are boosting and modulating my immune system toward to cell-mediated immunity, a necessary thing to overcome the mucosal candidiasis. Nystatin retention enemas are targeting the colon lumen, an area very difficult to reach where the most concentration of candida colonies live.

This is a very serious protocol and the result of the best I have learned during these years. I am not sure what is the root of my candidiasis but chelating with effective chelators, driving the pathogens out of the tissues, should revert any acquired tolerance or acquired immune suppression. I am covering all with it. Cutler’s chelation system, a well elaborated anticandida treatment, and the best over the counter immune modulators. I forgot to mention I am also taking 1g of Apo-Lactoferrin to help the immune system and to starve my gut lumen of Iron. Pathogens need Iron to growth, instead lactic acid bacteria growth without Iron.

Cimetidine has been my best finding during the last two years. I didn’t use it immediately but always had it on hold. If this don’t work, I really don’t have any other inspiring plan for now. I hope it works as I planned it.

Jorge.

I tried a h2 blocker a while ago, it didnt do much for me and the gut symptoms from the lack of acid were terrible. I used dhea, then added pine cone extract, then neem. Holy crap, I recommend taking it easy when using a protocol like this, the more you need it the worse you are going to feel.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I concur about glutamate; I just started taking it every morning again to help my leaky gut after a stressful holiday season. good, bad? Can it make one tired, but I know I need it again to regulate my intestines.

Wow this thread has gotten off topic slightly and now we are into multiple subjects. To address kodaz’s question, my naturopath feels that you should stabilize the patient before addressing the complex methylation cycle. This means heal leaky gut first, heal the liver first, and address the immune system (thyroid, adrenals, etc.) You can do this stabilization protocol all at once where you heal multiple organs. This is basically known as holistic medicine/care and its hard to do this on your own with the treat yourself route (imho)…

Then I think you should address the methylation cycle.

I am personally going to address it as the last thing in my personal protocol because I feel that it should largely be corrected when you become stabilized. For instance, I basically have no symptoms now and have lots of energy, etc…I just feel bad when I eat bad food only.

If you get your pH close to neutral, the cycle should mostly correct itself naturally per my naturopath and this is the foundation to any success with the methylation cycle. This takes a long time and I bet most of us are not there yet in terms of bodily pH.

-raster

kjones02
    Participant

impossible;52258 wrote:

I have not posted in quite awhile, but I need to. I have kept reading and looking up information everyday though on the forum. I have more reading and research to do into this, but my question is about b12. I know my brain fog and nervousness came more about in high school, when I got my braces (still have permanent wire on back of bottom teeth for fear of my teeth moving, but come on, it has been 15 years now). Should I look into getting it removed? Also, this b complex gives me energy, but I notice it makes me very jittery at times, can make me anxious or work great, and I only take 1 capsule; have tried 1/2 capsule. Any advice? I know I need folate and b12 though!!

As far as the wire is concerned, do your own risk/benefit analysis. Couldnt that always be added back down the road?

Methyl supplements, especially too much-too soon (or just too much), not in proper balance (folate & b12), started during a time of inflammation, or in those with certain other snp’s can cause anxiety. That looks like a good supplement to take alone if you primarily have just a mthfr mutation. Demand for potassium surges when taking methyl supplements and the resulting deficiency can cause anxiety.

Like I said, sometimes it seems to really help, and other times, it causes me the jitters, that supplement. Not sure what to do bout it, maybe try it again like every other day. I do have a dentist appt. on jan. 10th. I might ask bout the wire. Recently, one side did come unglued, and they glued it back on, but it seems to bother me still, or feels rough. So, might ask bout possible removal. Any way to get extra potassium? I drink this at night every once in awhile: http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Vitality-Natural-Calm-Plus-Calcium-Organic-Raspberry-Lemon-Flavor-16-oz-454-g/22854 – just have to watch bowel tolerance with this

impossible

kodaz2005;52255 wrote:

You dont NEED glutamine to heal leaky gut, but it can help. The only thing that NEEDS to be done is to lower inflammation, and glutamine isnt going to do much if your gut is inflamed. Some people do ok with it, others experience symptoms of too much glutamate. While it takes addressing everything to get over the hump, there still is an order to things or you can run into problems or unnecessary suffering. And as you take care of some problems, other ones might go away on their own, like adrenal fatigue. Like I probably should have waited till I was on an antiviral for a little bit before starting up my immune system. Hindsight is 20/20. Or waited to start methylfolate until I was done with all this.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

impossible;52259 wrote:

Jorge.

I tried a h2 blocker a while ago, it didnt do much for me and the gut symptoms from the lack of acid were terrible. I used dhea, then added pine cone extract, then neem. Holy crap, I recommend taking it easy when using a protocol like this, the more you need it the worse you are going to feel.

Not in my case.! In fact, I am almost totally symptom free now. I have battled a chronic penile intracellular candidiasis for 5 years with all my weapons. It was controlled and partially “cured” by an intensive very strong systemic treatment but never healed totally. After my last treatment, my penis glans returned to normal. It was only necessary two weeks to eliminate all the redness that was chonically left. My intestines have lost most of its inflammation. I am not reacting to carbohydrates, no limiting my diet, and experiencing a feeling of returning to a normal health I couldn’t get with nothing else. I am telling you this a very serious treatment and probably better elaborated than what any specialized Dr may do.

Cimetidine has the highest record as an immune modulator than any other over the counter medical drug available. It has been used against terminal cancers, AIDS, etc.
    Zinc and Cimetidine alone have reverted severe CMC cases in vivo. I mean only the immune modulators without any antifungal drug. I am doing the same doses and adding an effective medium/high azole dose plus Nystatin to target the gut lumen. I am also preventing acquired resistance adding Ibuprofen. I am chelating any heavy metal toxicity and favoring the antagonistic flora growth with fermented food and lactoferrin.

Honestly, this treatment is for a very serious recalcitrant candida case, even for those with chronic terminal illness. It must works.!

Jorge.

impossible

kjones02;52261 wrote:
    Like I said, sometimes it seems to really help, and other times, it causes me the jitters, that supplement. Not sure what to do bout it, maybe try it again like every other day. I do have a dentist appt. on jan. 10th. I might ask bout the wire. Recently, one side did come unglued, and they glued it back on, but it seems to bother me still, or feels rough. So, might ask bout possible removal. Any way to get extra potassium? I drink this at night every once in awhile: http://www.iherb.com/Natural-Vitality-Natural-Calm-Plus-Calcium-Organic-Raspberry-Lemon-Flavor-16-oz-454-g/22854 – just have to watch bowel tolerance with this

Not enough potassium in that. Get it any way you can. Look up high potassium foods and directly supplement it. The amount that different people need varies, but its usually alot mote than that.

I would like to add that people with adrenal fatigue can have too much potassium in the blood, the typical symptom that coincides with this is frequent urination. I dont know the effect that beginning a methyl protocol can have on this or what supplementing would do in this case, or even if its possible to have hyperkalemia (too much blood potassium) with hypokalemia symptoms due to too little potassium in the cells. Idk, but its something to consider.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Your Unknown Underlying Cause? Methylation Dysfunction Symptoms’ is closed to new replies.