Your Unknown Underlying Cause? Methylation Dysfunction Symptoms

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Your Unknown Underlying Cause? Methylation Dysfunction Symptoms

This topic contains 49 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

If you can relate to some of these symptoms or diseases, or have a family history of them, then you should strongly consider investigating your methylation status. Abnormalities in the methyl cycle are quickly gaining the attention of medical researchers around the world as it is being discovered as an underlying influence/cause in many conditions and diseases. Problems with the methylation cycle do not correct themselves and will typically worsen over time, ultimately leading to a much higher risk for serious/fatal diseases and/or neurological/psychiatric disorders. A person can experience problems from birth or a slow accumulation and worsening of symptoms/diseases throughout their life. For many of us, it is an inborn, genetic problem greatly compounded by the modern world’s toxic lifestyles. Nearly 1/3 of the population possesses genes that make methylation cycle abnormalities possible or probable, some worse than others. Environmental factors alone, such as toxicities, long term sickness, or even ones choice of vitamins and supplements can challenge this area of the physiology. The range of symptoms and diseases is somewhat diverse because there are many influences including any combination and expression of the multiple gene’s implicated in abnormalities, individual genetic factors outside of the cycle that influence it, and the variation of environmental factors and challenges, thus creating a plethora of expressions. Systems affected are mainly neurological/nervous, immune, detoxification, and energy production as well as problems relating to a slow rate of cellular division. Symptoms can range from very mild to severe. Treatment begins with substances designed to overcome blocks and deficiencies, mainly vitamins and amino acids, and can have a tremendous impact on the condition of the person being treated. These lists, though extensive, are not inclusive.

Autism
    Add/adhd
    Addictive behavior
    Allergies
    Always cold
    Alzheimer’s
    Anemia
    Angular chelitis (corners of the mouth)
    Anorexia/bulimia
    Anxiety
    Arthritis
    Asthma
    Autoimmune disease
    Atherosclerosis
    Bipolar disorder
    Black and white thinking pattern
    Brain fog
    Bruise easily
    Cancer (any but esp. cervical, colon, lung, prostate, bladder, breast, leukemia, esophageal carcinoma)
    Candida overgrowth
    Canker sores
    Celiac disease
    Cervical dysplasia/disease
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Chronic inflammation (many types)
    Chronic infection/sickness
    Cleft palate
    Cognitive/mood disorders
    Deja Vu
    Dementia
    Depression
    Dermatitis
    Diabetes
    Dizziness
    Downs syndrome
    Dyspepsia (indigestion symptoms)
    Eczema
    Elevated homocysteine
    Elevated estrogen
    Excess/low libido
    Excess tears/saliva/nasal mucus production/ stomach acid
    Eye/vision disorders (many types)
    Fatigue, poor recovery
    Fibromyalgia
    Gastrointestinal disorders/problems (many types)
    Hangnails/ cracked skin on fingertips/thin, brittle nails
    Headache
    Heart disease/attack/murmurs/congenital defects
    Heart palpitations, arrhythmia
    Heavy metal toxicity
    Herxeimer reactions
    Histamine intolerance
    Hypothyroid
    IBS
    Impaired ability to multi-task
    Impaired connection to others
    Immune system disorders
    Insulin resistance
    Insomnia/abnormal sleep patterns
    Intolerance of some b vitamins
    Lack of body hair
    Leaky gut
    Loss of smell and taste to strawberries and potato chips specifically
    Memory problems
    Migraine
    Miscarriage
    Muscle pain/soreness/spasms/ lack of recovery
    Nausea
    Neural tube defects
    Neurological disease/neuropathy
    Numbness/tingling in extremeties
    Obesity
    Obsessive type thinking/behavior
    OCD
    Osteoporosis
    Parkinson’s
    PMS
    Poor heat/ cold tolerance
    Poor/increased pain tolerance
    Postpartum/ Postmenopausal depression, psychosis
    Pre-eclampsia
    Psoriasis
    Pulmonary embolism
    Raspy voice
    Reflexes abnormal
    Response (good or bad) to SAMe, choline, betaine, methionine, NAC, CoQ10, carnitine, methyl vitamins
    Schizophrenia
    Sensitivities/intolerances of any type
    Sensitive, altered or impaired taste, smell, touch, sight and/or hearing (many types)
    Seizures
    Sights, sounds, smells that are not actually present
    Sore and/or sensitive mouth, teeth, gums
    Spina bifida
    Stroke
    Sulfur intolerance (typically unknown)
    Thin hair
    Thin or long stature/features, exercise does not build muscle
    Tinnitus (ringing ears)
    Toxicity (of any kind)
    Unstable mood
    Unsteady gait
    UTI symptoms with no UTI
    Vaccine sensitive
    Vertigo
    Weakness

Indications of methyl cycle abnormalities-
    High or high normal folic acid or folinic acid
    Low 5-MTHF
    High or high normal B12
    High ammonia (or symptoms of that, ie brain fog, strange ‘smell’)
    Normal to elevated homocysteine
    Elevated histamine
    Low glutathione
    Elevated UMFA
    Elevated MMA
    Low 5-HIAA
    Elevated FIGLU
    Low homovanilate
    Elevated MCV
    Elevated MCH
    Elevated LDH
    Elevated absolute basophils
    Elevated sulfites

*as more doctors become aware of the implications of elevated homocysteine, more people are being tested for this. The widespread notion that homocysteine is THE benchmark of methylation status is incorrect. While an elevated homocysteine level is a direct indication that there is a problem, normal or low homocysteine is not an indication that methylation cycle operation is optimal or correct. A lot of the standard therapies aimed at reducing homocysteine and its particular risks do not address the underlying cause and thus do not remove the risk of other serious disease or address the present ailments caused by methylation cycle malfunctions. One must typically enter the care of physician that is very experienced or specializes in this area in order to receive proper treatment. Taking standard forms of vitamins might not correct or could possibly worsen problems and methylated vitamins/supplements should not be administered until a person’s physiological status and genetic mutations have been determined.

impossible

Post on testing and treatment, particularly better understanding the nuts and bolts, coming soon

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

Impossible, where do u find a Dr that specializes in this? How do you look it up? Know anyone in NY/NJ/PA? I know there is something wrong w me aside from candida b/c at the same time I came down with a candida problem, I developed MS like symptoms that come and go. I’m very interested in this still and the 23andme test

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Man its like every symptom…

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

I’m sorry to say your posts are very long, and I haven’t had time to go through all of them yet, so this may have already been answered but how does this relate to my candida infestation?

I know without a shadow of a doubt mine was due to overuse of antibiotics over 5 months last year, prescribed by idiot doctors. They wiped out my good flora and the candida flourished.

impossible

TheXtremisT;50642 wrote: I’m sorry to say your posts are very long, and I haven’t had time to go through all of them yet, so this may have already been answered but how does this relate to my candida infestation?

I know without a shadow of a doubt mine was due to overuse of antibiotics over 5 months last year, prescribed by idiot doctors. They wiped out my good flora and the candida flourished.

For anyone in particular, it might or it might not be a cause or have a relation to their overgrowth. But with recent research indicating how widespread of a problem this actually is (affecting from 15% to nearly 40% of people depending on the source and how much they’re environment/habits challenges their physiology) and one of the main symptoms being chronic infection, there are undoubtedly alot of undiagnosed people on the board. When the cycle becomes slowed, cell replication does as well, which results in less immune cells. Cell mediated immunity is greatly lowered and a large shift in balance from th1 towards th2 dominance occurs. The results are, basically, an inept, hyperactive, under productive, incapable immune system.

Take for instance ThomasJoel2, who for whatever reason, had already ordered a 23andme test and posted a link to his results for interpretation. Turns out he has a homozygous (2 mutations on 1 gene) MTHFR mutation and 4 heterozygous (single mutation) MTRR mutations. That is HUGE. Big deal. He would have struggled for the rest of his life without that information. The 23andme test is only $99 and can tell so much, even outside of just methyl cycle snp’s, its a worthy investment for anyone with chronic health issues. Its the next big thing.

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

impossible;50656 wrote: When the cycle becomes slowed, cell replication does as well, which results in less immune cells.

Would this reduction in immune cells be large enough to be reflected in white blood cell counts in standard blood tests?

CS

impossible

I’ve only read of it affecting basophil numbers, but that is not always the case. I personally have 3 homozygous mutations and my cbc was always perfect. And my sed is rate is always only 2, even though i’ve never done good with infections and have had some chronic inflammation symptoms. Glutathione numbers mean alot here. I dont know why that is not a standard test, other than alot of people are making alot of money off of those with diseases caused by treatable low glutathione conditions.

impossible

yisucks;50637 wrote: Impossible, where do u find a Dr that specializes in this? How do you look it up? Know anyone in NY/NJ/PA? I know there is something wrong w me aside from candida b/c at the same time I came down with a candida problem, I developed MS like symptoms that come and go. I’m very interested in this still and the 23andme test

http://www.drjessarmine.com/

I would give this guy a shot if I was in that area.

impossible

TheXtremisT;50642 wrote: I’m sorry to say your posts are very long, and I haven’t had time to go through all of them yet, so this may have already been answered but how does this relate to my candida infestation?

Why is it most people dont get yeast infections from antibiotics?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You are wrong. Most people who do have yeast infections have taken antibiotics in their lifetime. You don’t know enough about candida to make your conclusion imho.

-raster

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

raster;50669 wrote: You are wrong. Most people who do have yeast infections have taken antibiotics in their lifetime. You don’t know enough about candida to make your conclusion imho.

-raster

I think you missed his point raster. Many people take antibiotics but do not develop a yeast overgrowth. Why is this?

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

ThomasJoel2;50670 wrote:

You are wrong. Most people who do have yeast infections have taken antibiotics in their lifetime. You don’t know enough about candida to make your conclusion imho.

-raster

I think you missed his point raster. Many people take antibiotics but do not develop a yeast overgrowth. Why is this?

The main cause of Candida Related Complex is antibiotic use. However, there are people who takes long antibiotic courses and never develop this syndrome.

There are several theories regarding to it. One of them is candida albicans and other species aren’t universal members of the human flora. Science has found people who don’t have any candida cells living in the intestines, at least with the present detection technics.

Another thing to consider is the potency of the antibiotic used and what impact it may cause to the antagonistic flora.

But, the most acceptable theory is chronic antigenemia. It means yeast cells increases in the intestines during the years until the point the immune system stops attacking them. It is known as immune tolerance to an antigen. This is a well known phenomenon by medicine. Persistent antigens have the ability of cause tolerance. It may takes years to develop it. One time you develop tolerance, the antagonistic flora is the only defense against the yeast. If you take antibiotic, and your immune system is paralyzed against the fungus, you develop this syndrome. Think about how many children develop Candida Related Complex. It is rare to find children with this syndrome in spite they are who more antibiotic take. It means they still don’t have the years with the antigenic presence to develop immune tolerance. As I told, it takes years to surrender the immune system.

As a matter of fact, there are many other causes such as genetic susceptibility, underlying toxicity such as heavy metal, specially mercury, and minor immune defects.

Mercury has a negative impact on the immune system and causes chronic polarization in a Th2 state. It means a depleted cell-mediated immunity that is our defense against fungus.

There is nothing wrong for candida sufferers to investigate about possible underlying causes and try to correct them.

Remember, what allows this syndrome to flourish is an immune fail in spite the antibiotics are the main triggers.

Jorge.

impossible

Precisely. Add to that probably 25% of the population has a genetic predisposition to EVERYTHING you spoke of. And about 10-12% have it in a bad way. If you were lucky enough to draw that number, the odds of you coming out of that without addressing the issue of, say, not having enough “active” vitamin B9, are next to impossible. The issue is compounded with age as well.

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

im surprised people are giving impossible such a hard time. ive seen some riiiidiculous theories and ideas being spouted on here, and what impossible is suggesting makes a lot of sense.

every single person i know has taken antibiotics, and probably 90% of my female friends take birth control. they also drink and eat candy and cake. guess what? none of them have a candida problem! so why do i because i took antibiotics for 1 week? clearly we cant entirely blame the antibiotics since most people can handle it. sure, girls will get a YI but it goes away 1 diflucan pill! such was clearly not the case for us.

there is clearly an immune system compontent to this. mine is partially weakened bc i take chronic steroids for a medical condition, but even that cant be entirely it because im not alone in that.

i think immune system deficiency is the key here…i always have

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Your Unknown Underlying Cause? Methylation Dysfunction Symptoms’ is closed to new replies.