Yogurt sugar worries – mucus/warm face after eating.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Yogurt sugar worries – mucus/warm face after eating.

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  enid1 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

enid1
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 16

I’m about 3-4 weeks into the Ultimate Candida Diet, and I eat a lot of yogurt, about 750g a day.
    The brand I am eating has lots of good bacteria and the lowest sugar I can find which is 4.8g by 100g. My concern is that I am ingesting about 35g of sugar a day.
    I have read that because of the process of making yogurt (also this brand is pot set) that the sugars are evened out – but i would like to know what others thing or if others have concerns like me also.

The only other stuff I eat is just complex carbs like puffed quinoa, millet, and buckwheat, a little bit of unpuffed quinoa and the coconut bread from the recipe book that is said you can eat ‘as much as you like’ however I really wonder what that means…

Sometimes after eating yogurt I get snotty/a bit of mucus in the back of my nose/throat and have to cough a little, its not much and doesn’t last long/doesn’t always occur. Also at the moment sometimes after I eat a get a warm face – I don’t know if this is symptoms or die-off, if anyone can share any insights that would be great!

(I have been through quite noticeable die-off in my first week for a few days, but since then, just these symptoms described above).

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

You shouldn’t eat yogurt on the candida diet. It’s a huge misconception. Only a very small fraction of the ‘good’ bacteria reach the bowels. And if you are eating pasteurized yogurt you are actually eating dead bacteria.
    It’s always a bad idea to eat dairy. You should only eat it if you think it is beneficial, which is usually not the case.
    Try to make some home made kefir instead.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If you consume yogurt I recommend consuming goat’s milk yogurt which is much healthier than cow’s milk. The problem is the animal you are getting the milk from.

-raster

enid1

Ok sure, Thanks for your replies.
    Have you read what Lisa Richards (creator of this website) has said about yogurt?

My question really isn’t about dairy, as I only eat yogurt no other dairy – it’s about the sugar and how it acts in yogurt – as it is not refined and is lactose based (I think?) that it is counteracted by fermentation/more useful that a hinderence.

Here is a link : http://www.thecandidadiet.com/why-does-my-yogurt-contain-sugar.htm

If no one really knows anything about this, don’t worry about it – just wondering if anyone had had the kind of reaction I described, or if they know anything about sugar in yogurt (plain, organic, with good bac a,b and c).

Thanks again.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

enid1;59707 wrote: Ok sure, Thanks for your replies.
    Have you read what Lisa Richards (creator of this website) has said about yogurt?

My question really isn’t about dairy, as I only eat yogurt no other dairy – it’s about the sugar and how it acts in yogurt – as it is not refined and is lactose based (I think?) that it is counteracted by fermentation/more useful that a hinderence.

Here is a link : http://www.thecandidadiet.com/why-does-my-yogurt-contain-sugar.htm

If no one really knows anything about this, don’t worry about it – just wondering if anyone had had the kind of reaction I described, or if they know anything about sugar in yogurt (plain, organic, with good bac a,b and c).

Thanks again.

750 grams or 26 ounces is way too much yogurt to be consuming in a day. The average single serving of yogurt sold in the US is 5.3 ounces. So you are consuming 5 servings of yogurt in one day. That would be about about 30 grams of sugar average. That’s an awful lot of sugar.

While there may be some controversy regarding yogurt, I personally believe it’s not beneficial and like the other posters mentioned the bacteria will not make it to your digestive tract. The best thing you can do imo is to drop it entirely for a week or so and watch yourself closely to see if you feel better.

raster
    Participant

5 servings per day is too much and I would reduce to one serving per day. Even at one serving per day it is a controversial food item.

-raster

enid1

Thanks for your replies, will drop it for a week and see how I go. The warm face thing has stopped but I still get a bit mucusy.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

enid1;59715 wrote: Thanks for your replies, will drop it for a week and see how I go. The warm face thing has stopped but I still get a bit mucusy.

One of the things I find to be the most frustrating part of this whole nightmare is not really knowing what feeds the Candida. We know they can feed off of almost anything, but things like yogurt and even some of the grain type items on the approved list on this site make me skeptical as they could significantly multiply from certain food items.

I recently did a 6 day water fast to refocus myself to the diet and cleanse out my body some. After beginning to eat again now, I eliminated oat bran, yogurt and almonds as I believe they were holding me back. I feel better and noticed 3 of symptoms that I had prior when eating these other foods disappeared. My skin looks better and I noticed a couple of other positive signs as well.

We constantly need to be conscious of minor reactions and be brutally honest with ourselves if a certain food is hurting us. The reaction doesn’t always happen right away either. Sometimes it’s an hour or more after consuming the food.

enid1

So just wondering – Raster and theChosenOne – do you disagree with a lot of what Lisa Richards says about Candida? Or just some parts? I’m interested to know what you think so I can be a better judge (to recap, she’s the creator of this site, and has developed the diets many people have successfully treated their conditions on).

raster
    Participant

enid1;59724 wrote: So just wondering – Raster and theChosenOne – do you disagree with a lot of what Lisa Richards says about Candida? Or just some parts? I’m interested to know what you think so I can be a better judge (to recap, she’s the creator of this site, and has developed the diets many people have successfully treated their conditions on).

Oh I haven’t really followed her program and what she suggests really and have done my own thing…I am doing a plan constructed by my naturopath.

-raster

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

What Raster said. You just have to figure out yourself what works and what doesn’t. Overall things high in fiber are good.

enid1

Yeah I can understand that. I have read pretty much everything on the site, and downloaded the ultimate diet (but yeah you have to pay for it), her experience was useful to me as of course she has been through it, and spoken to hundreds of people about their symptoms, reactions, diets etc and has developed that from their experiences. Knowledge is power and the more you can read from people who have been through it and have cured themselves (and others!) the better really.

I trust what she says about a lot of things after reading the testimonials, really good results. So might be worth a good shot. It’s working for me anyway – and since my first post here, I have still been eating yogurt (3 servings a day) and have had no reaction, so I think it was die off after all. I have been on a work trip so yogurt has been super useful in keeping me afloat when I can’t get food easily.

Of course everyone is different, but if you start from a good stable base of understanding from others experience, you really set yourself up for an effective treatment, why re-invent the wheel right?
    heaps of resources and useful info out there, just have to weigh them and and compare and listen to your body. Good luck with your treatments and thanks heaps for your input. I’ll let you know how I go.

enid1

raster;59713 wrote: 5 servings per day is too much and I would reduce to one serving per day. Even at one serving per day it is a controversial food item.

-raster

Just another question – how come yogurt is controversial? Because of the sugar?
    Some people here seem to be eating fruit, there is more sugar in an apple or orange, or any juice in comparison to yogurt for the same amount of grams (low sugar organic yogurt) – and that’s straight fructose! The yogurt sugar supposedly gets a little absorbed in the fermentation… any ideas? Just searching for some logic/method to the madness 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Yogurt sugar worries – mucus/warm face after eating.’ is closed to new replies.