Yeast against yeast

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Yeast against yeast

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  jay253 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #101467

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    This “in vivo” study suggests S. Boulardii may be an effective cure.

    S. Boulardii is a close relative of the yeast used in this study, S. Cerevisiae.

    http://www.academicjournals.org/ijmms/PDF/Pdf2011/March/Premanathan%20et%20al.pdf

    Jorge.

    #101490

    Cheesey
    Member
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

    For some reason I can’t open that link.

    Here is some evidence I have found in my own research. It appears that, in addition to ‘crowding out’ the candida, S. Boulardii actively secretes many of the antifungal medium chain fatty acids people rely on in their treatment such as those found in coconut oil:

    It has been shown that both live Sb cells and the extract from Sb culture filtrate diminish C. albicans adhesion to and subsequent biofilm formation [38]. Thus, independently of the trophic relationships, for example, elimination from the medium of carbon source (sugars) or polyunsaturated fatty acids [64], Sb releases to the medium active compounds. These compounds in dose dependent manners are able to inhibit switching from budding yeast to hyphae growth. The extract prepared from Sb culture filtrate was showed to contain 2-phenylethanol, caproic, caprylic and capric acid. The highest activity reducing candidal virulence factors was capric acid (C10:0), which is responsible for inhibition of hyphae formation. It also reduced candidal adhesion and biofilm formation, though three times less than the extract. Thus Sb release to the medium other factors, not yet identified, suppressing C. albicans adherence [37]. Capric acid acts through the activation of cAMP pathways and Hog1 kinase cascade, reducing the expression of genes of C. albicans virulence. Capric acid reduces CSH1, INO1, HWP1 transcripts. CSH1 encodes a protein related to the hydrophobicity surface of the fungal cell wall and is involved in adhesion. INO1 encodes an enzyme involved in the biosynthesis of inositol, which is a precursor components on the surface of the cell wall of C. albicans involved in the virulence. HWP1 (Hyphal Wall Protein) encodes protein present in hyphae and pseudogyphae and involved in adhesion and biofilm formation. Besides inhibition of C. albicans adhesion to epithelial cell lines, Sb living cells and compounds released to the medium, reduced cytokine-mediated inflammatory host response. In fact the IL-8 gene expression was suppressed in C. albicans-infected epithelial cells by the compounds released to the medium by Sb [65].

    It is clear that Sb secretes many compounds and some of them may act as quorum sensing and modulate growth of other microorganisms including other eukaryotes such as C. albicans. Besides identified compounds and their activity it is clear that there are still other biologically active compounds produced by Sb which remain to be discovered [65].

    http://www.intechopen.com/books/probiotics/saccharomyces-cerevisiae-var-boulardii-probiotic-yeast#SEC4

    #101503

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    The link works for me.

    Here is one more time what I don’t understand about the community of sufferers. This post doesn’t have comments when you find something like this one time every some years. The link is an in vivo human clinical trial with pictures about the efficacy of S.Cerevisiae curing oral candidiasis. Only 3 days were necessary to reach a complete cure against resistant candida strains.

    We, who have been battling it for years, know there aren’t effective treatment around the corner.

    This is a revelation and a realistic hope of what can be done using yeast against yeast.

    I post it for the benefit of the forum members even when most people don’t comment. For me, it is something extremely important since I know candidiasis is hard to cure with current treatments.

    Anyway, there are sure some who value it, I guess!.

    Jorge.

    #101506

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Cheesey;39993 wrote: For some reason I can’t open that link.

    Hi, Cheesey.

    This is Jorge’s link, try it this way to see if you can open it.

    Treatment of Oral Candidiasis by Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

    #101509

    Cheesey
    Member
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

    dvjorge;40006 wrote:

    The link works for me.

    Jorge.

    Able900;40009 wrote:

    For some reason I can’t open that link.

    Hi, Cheesey.

    This is Jorge’s link, try it this way to see if you can open it.

    Treatment of Oral Candidiasis by Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

    Thank you very much to you both, I managed to open it when I tried the link in Firefox. It doesn’t appear to be safari friendly (at least not for me).

    I certainly value the research, Jorge! How are you coming on with your treatment? I noticed in my search of other threads that you actually tried out S. Boulardii a while back already. Why did you discontinue your use then? Can you think of any factors that make this time around different to last time around?

    #101510

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    Cheesey;40012 wrote:

    The link works for me.

    Jorge.

    Able900;40009 wrote:

    For some reason I can’t open that link.

    Hi, Cheesey.

    This is Jorge’s link, try it this way to see if you can open it.

    Treatment of Oral Candidiasis by Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

    Thank you very much to you both, I managed to open it when I tried the link in Firefox. It doesn’t appear to be safari friendly (at least not for me).

    I certainly value the research, Jorge! How are you coming on with your treatment? I noticed in my search of other threads that you actually tried out S. Boulardii a while back already. Why did you discontinue your use then? Can you think of any factors that make this time around different to last time around?

    Yes, you are right.

    Knowledge doesn’t me that we do the right things sometimes. I have made a lot mistakes.

    Since 2 or 3 years, I know about 2 cases cured with S. Boulardii and enemas. However, I haven’t been totally convinced or inspired to do it for the right time.

    I discontinued it to alternate with high doses of Nystatin, SF-722, etc but I always thought to come back to it at one point ahead. In fact, if it works in the way I am expecting, 1 or 2 times a year I will take it even feeling normal if possible again.

    The difference is I am giving S. Boulardii more time and duplicated the doses.

    Jorge.

    #101511

    Cheesey
    Member
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

    dvjorge;40013 wrote:
    Yes, you are right.

    Knowledge doesn’t me that we do the right things sometimes. I have made a lot mistakes.

    Since 2 or 3 years, I know about 2 cases cured with S. Boulardii and enemas. However, I haven’t been totally convinced or inspired to do it for the right time.

    I discontinued it to alternate with high doses of Nystatin, SF-722, etc but I always thought to come back to it at one point ahead. In fact, if it works in the way I am expecting, 1 or 2 times a year I will take it even feeling normal if possible again.

    The difference is I am giving S. Boulardii more time and duplicated the doses.

    Jorge.

    Who hasn’t made a lot of mistakes? Especially in the trial and error world of alternative healthcare.

    What dosage are you at the moment? Yesterday I got up to my ND’s recommendation of 4 capsules a day which works out at 12 billion CFU. I’ve had varying die-off from this dosage but nothing too serious to report. My stress and anxiety levels are actually beginning to come down (fingers crossed) but I think this might be largely attributable to other factors.

    Please keep us updated with any new information and especially with how you are getting on!

    #101513

    mrs.candida
    Member
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

    I’m on day 5 of S.boulardii. I’m having a lot more energy, also sleeping much better. I’m taking 12 billion CFU. It seems the S.Boulardii is causing me some painful dry flakey skin around my torso. I’m dry brushing and using coconut oil as a lotion.

    #101525

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    mrs.candida;40016 wrote: I’m on day 5 of S.boulardii. I’m having a lot more energy, also sleeping much better. I’m taking 12 billion CFU. It seems the S.Boulardii is causing me some painful dry flakey skin around my torso. I’m dry brushing and using coconut oil as a lotion.

    Keep the strict diet and give it time !!

    Jorge.

    #101526

    approximately_me
    Member
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

    Thank you for this Jorge.

    So is S Cerevisiae only used on oral thrush or is it used for the digestive tract as well?

    And am I understanding the article correctly, in reading this as an interaction between S Cerevisia and S Boulardii? Are these two not to be taken together?

    “However, it is a very uncommon cause of infection and fungemia. The only identified risk factor for S. cerevisiae infection is treatment with a probiotic containing S. boulardii (Muñoz et al., 2005). Three patients aged between 72 and 76 years in the ICU of a hospital in Spain received the product via nasogastric tube for a mean duration of 8.5 days before they developed fungemia (Muñoz et al., 2005).”

    I am interested in this yeast procedure. My concern is that while my current process is slow and a lot of work, it does progress and I’m a bit scared to change my regimen.

    What does an S Boulardii regimen look like, Jorge? I understand there are no antifungals. What about probiotics and the diet? Does one wait until later in their diet to try S Boulardii or can it be tried at any time?

    Cheers

    Sasha

    #101527

    approximately_me
    Member
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

    Also, maybe making this paste for my thrush (but not to swallow) would be a good test for yeast. It wouldn’t otherwise interfere with my routine would it? Where would I get S Cerevisiae? Do I just buy brewer’s yeast to make a paste? Or would I need to buy something higher grade?

    Cheers

    Sasha

    #101534

    approximately_me
    Member
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 186

    Also, Jorge, if you don’t mind me asking yet another question, why are the enemas necessary?

    #101538

    Danny33
    Member
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

    approx,

    this previous tread should help answer some of your questions ->

    Previous post on SB

    #101542

    dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

    SACCHAROMYCES BOULARDII OVERVIEW INFORMATION
    Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast, which is a type of fungus. Saccharomyces boulardii was previously identified as a unique species of yeast, but is now believed to be a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae (baker’s yeast). Saccharomyces boulardii is used as medicine.

    #101573

    jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

    Good quote from one of the links.

    “However, probiotic properties are strain specific and very often not well characterized. Properties of strains from the same species may be very different, thus for human health benefits potential probiotic strain should be very well characterized. It is clear that microflora of the human body is very complex and it is important to maintain appropriate homeostasis, which may be unbalanced by use of antibiotics”

    —-Human microflora is very complex and become extremely challenging once it is severely out of balance.—–

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Yeast against yeast’ is closed to new replies.