Would it be wise to test for Candida before treating?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Would it be wise to test for Candida before treating?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Danny33 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

dave
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

I have been playing around at the edges of this diet for about a month and looking to start soon once I gather the required supplements and phase the food in my home out, however I am wondering, even though I have many of the symptoms of Candida, most actually, I have never tested for it per se through blood work and wonder if, before I go into this crazy diet, I should test? Are blood tests the most valid? Anything else II should consider before starting?

I have had pretty significant CFS for over 5 years after having pneumonia and tried various therapies including steroids and circadian rhythm dosing with thyroid meds but am wondering about how much impact, if any, true candida has had on this? Il note that I have, as far as I can tell, improved inflammation in my neck when I stop eating gluten and dairy, which may be due to leaky gut? Any direction is appreciated.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If you do decide to get tested, I would test for multiple things at once. I would look at SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth), H.Pylori (another gut bacteria), parasites (everyone has them but at different levels), and candida (everyone has it but at different levels).

For candida testing, we recommend the candida immune complex test with genova diagnostics. They also have a test called the stool effects test which hopefully tests everything in your stool. You can also get tested to see if you are allergic to candida with an allergist.

If you have the rectal itching, angular chilitis, and white tongue, this is a pretty safe bet you have it in my opinion. If you experience die-off after starting the diet with antifungals, you likely have a gut flora imbalance.

-raster

dave
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

Thanks Raster, I have thankfully never had rectal itching. I had to look up angular chilitis and I suppose that I have had this to a minor degree I guess at the corners of my mouth in the past, but not recently that I can recall… I have had the white tongue for years along with bad breath and a lot of the other symptoms. My biggest symptom right now is my inability to perform even basic tasks, like standing for even a few minutes, let alone regular exercise, due to my adrenal fatigue, which I can feel them burning if I push it. I just want to make sure I am in the right place before going all out on this diet and lifestyle change. Would my money be better spent to just try the diet and anti-fungals fist to see if I have die-off? I dont even know what that would feel like but I think it would be easy to feel miserable regardless when putting some of these things into your body and restricting sugars and carbs to this degree…

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d try out the diet for one or two days with a few drops of an antifungal, and if you feel way worse than before, you likely have some kind of gut flora imbalance. You can then decide how to approach things after that. Maybe you’ll decide you want a proper diagnosis based on your symptoms at that point? This is just how I think. You may be very surprised about how much worse you’ll feel.

We also recommend taking milk thistle and molybdenum to reduce die-off, so consider getting some if you feel bad or want to feel as good as possible.

I don’t think leaky gut has anything to do with the inflammation of your throat btw, it has more to do with allergic reactions.

-raster

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

I’ve heard that a stool test is always superior to blood and saliva for Candida. I myself plan to get tested as soon as I can. I will also ask about the additional testing raster mentioned.

good luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Would it be wise to test for Candida before treating?’ is closed to new replies.