Will I ever be able to eat a girl scout cookie again?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Will I ever be able to eat a girl scout cookie again?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

carrotflowers
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 7

Hi there! I’m new to this site, and just a few weeks ago diagnosed myself with candidaisis. Here’s what happened (I’ll try to make it short..):

In November, I had chronic tonsilitis, and was put on several rounds of antibiotics. Shortly thereafter, I got the tonsils taken out, and in my three-week recovery period, I was on yet another antibiotic, which they do to prevent infection of the surgical site. So, I got a bad case of oral thrush, where my mouth was burning, itching, and completely white! The Dr. put me on an antifungal, which seemed to work…

Well, my “healing” process from the surgery seemed never-ending. I kept getting sick– colds, headaches, flu-type things, etc. And THEN, around January maybe, I got a full-blown attack– my hands and feet were numb and tingling, leg muscles sore and week, severe back and neck pain, the whole nine. After much online searching and consultation with a friend (who happens to be a holistic health counselor), I figured my thrush hadn’t fully gone away (and alas! my tongue was still white!). Case closed. Candida overgrowth, no doubt.

So, for the past couple weeks, I’ve been sugar-free, taking herbal supplements and vitamins, maintaining my exercise and yoga regimen, and I feel LOADS better! I didn’t really experience severe “die-off” symptoms, aside from my usual ones, and being extra tired/foggy (and having tons of break outs on my face!!!)

So my question is…. since I’m pretty sure I only really had this problem since December or January…. when is an appropriate time to reintroduce sugar (and alcohol)? I’m not planning to go crazy, since I’ve learned so much and feel amazing right now…. but, I have a box of girl scout cookies in my freezer with my name on it… do most candida sufferers stay on this diet (or some version of it — sans GS cookies!) for their entire life? Every website I’ve been on seems to suggest that… What do you all think???

flipperflop
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 19

lol i was so thinking this the other day. one of those chocolate mint ones… mmmmm.

ps. i dunno depends if you have an alergy/ intolerance to anything that is in it…i think…i dunt even know. I thnink thats what we all have in common.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Take my comment with a grain of salt – I’ve been on this diet for 7.5 weeks, following it very strictly, but I’m no holistic practioner. From what I understand, those who need to stay on the deit indefinitely, never really took care of their overgrowth in a satisfactory way before reintroducing candida-feeding foods/alcohol. If you don’t stay on the diet (without cheating) long enough, you’re going to be very prone for an overgrowth recurrence, even if your symptoms have vastly improved. A little beer here, a little coffe there, and nibble of a donut – all these things are going to keep you from completely eradicating your excess yeast, and that girl scout cookie will be pushed farther and farther back.

That said, it seems that once you’ve been on the diet *strictly* for a while, and have successfully reintroduced Stage 2 foods like beans, potatos, etc. *then* it’s time to start thinking about adding back some really big trigger foods. If you’re reintoducing foods slowly, as recommended, this whole process could take a while. And once it really is time to test for things like wheat, corn syrup, sugar… you’ll want to do so with each ingredient separately, not in one big cookie combination. If it were me, at this point, I’d probably start with a small amount of whole wheat and wait a little while, gradually increasing the whole wheat until I hit a fairly normal amount. If it all seemed a-ok, I’d probably try refined wheat flour (white all purpose) the same way. Sweeteners and alcohol would be the last things I’d reintroduce, and only if my other reintroductions went well.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. It’d be nice if I could say, “Yes! Have a Thin Mint! It won’t bother your candida at all!” But, I really think a Thin Mint is probably further off than you’re hoping. If you go slowly though, and really do a thorough job of eliminating your overgrowth, it’s possible you may be able to enjoy Girl Scout cookies down the road w/ zero ill effects.

Please don’t let this discourage you. If anything, let it be a big motivator to really stick it out and win not just a battle, but the whole war πŸ™‚

carrotflowers

Thank you, Hope. I know you’re right… unfortunately. And I have held off on the cookies — I finally gave them away! I was on the diet for four weeks, and was extremely strict, but when I tried to reintroduce sweeter/starchier foods, some of my symptoms seemed to come back.. so I think Samoas (my cookie of choice) are the last thing I should be (or want to be, surprisingly) eating. But I’ve become way more positive throughout this process, and no longer think about what I’m forbidden to eat. I’ve definitely come a long way, so I really think I’ll be able to stick to it. Thank you, and best of luck!

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Check you out! You’re awesome for giving those cookies away!!! πŸ™‚ GOOD JOB!

tumbleweed
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

I think we fall in love with the texture, color, mouth feel of all the things that for some reason our body has told us-in no uncertain terms- ‘look this is not good for you’, so throw the girl scout cookies away, and create something that has perhaps
    a similar texture but without the sugar. All of this sugar stuff is such a part of our western culture, and eliminating the warm fuzzy response to these kinds of ‘treats’ has to become one’s personal inner dialogue. A serious sugar afficionada, I am learning to parent my urges, with positive replacements.
    What will work for you of course, is a nibble and taste of the’ good for you’ foods, until you happen to find something that really tastes great and is also good for you. I think we newbies have a learning curve ahead, and yes this diet is quite strict-but everyone who sticks with the candida food plan ( I like that term better than ‘diet’) continues to report how well they feel, the longer they do it.

tumbleweed
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Congrats on throwing them away! Just read about it.

NeekyNoo
    Replies: 46

I’ve just come across thees recipes and remembered this post:

http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/01/raw-girl-scout.html

I’ve never had a girl scout cookie, so I don’t know how these compare, but I’m sure there’s more chance of being able to eat something like this in the future πŸ™‚

iuperi
    Topics: 1

You can have your girl scout cookies and eat them too! Go to celiacchicks.com or julesglutenfree.com. Search for girl scout cookies-even the thin mints! You can substitute the white sugar with stevia or agave nectar. Also, you can find a brand of really good gfree (gluten free)/lactose free chocolate chips at a health food store or online. The brand name they recommend is on the website. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Unless it’s some type of substitute, chocolate contains caffeine; caffeine in any form is an adrenal stressor. The adrenals support the immune system, and without the immune system in its top form, infections and pathogen infestations such as Candida are extremely difficult to overcome. That’s another reason why so many Candida sufferers don’t have a successful treatment, poor adrenal function. Caffeine should really be completely avoided during any illness, infection, or infestation such as Candida.

Agave nectar should be a test product (starting with a very low amount), as many sufferers react to it.

Able

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Will I ever be able to eat a girl scout cookie again?’ is closed to new replies.