which foods to start with?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions which foods to start with?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Evurr 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Evurr
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 20

I am trying to move over to a better diet for this slowly. I don’t believe in radical changes more a gentle move over to being healthy.

So, I need a list of things that are the most important to cut out first.

I get yeast/fungi, sugar and fruit are high up on the list. I’m working on these ones slowly…. what else is top of the list?

Thanks

Meile
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 26

I would say start wean yourself off all sugar, food containing sugar (so be sure to read labels) and alcohol first….then refined carbohydrates, fruit, and the rest..

TT
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 35

Watch out for certain vegetables too and try to stick to the ones in the list given of allowed veg as that’s where I was going wrong before.

Eating away at carrots and then grapes thinking I was doing good and not realising about the natural sugar in them.

Evurr

TT wrote: Watch out for certain vegetables too and try to stick to the ones in the list given of allowed veg as that’s where I was going wrong before.

Eating away at carrots and then grapes thinking I was doing good and not realising about the natural sugar in them.

No veg are mentioned in the don’t eat list… so are carrots a no no too?

I get grapes, being fruit are bad… although one list I have read says berries are ok later on. Grapes are berries…..

This is all very confusing! Think I’ll live on prana and see how that goes!!!!

as you can probably tell, I’m not happy about this at all!!! I know it’s not the attitude to take but it’e the way I am feeling at the moment.

As for alcohol/sugar. I am a bach flower therapist, I take bach flower remedies. They have brandy as a preservative in them…. it’s only a tiny amount but I won’t stop taking them!

TT

Evurr wrote: No veg are mentioned in the don’t eat list… so are carrots a no no too?

I get grapes, being fruit are bad… although one list I have read says berries are ok later on. Grapes are berries…..

This is all very confusing! Think I’ll live on prana and see how that goes!!!!

as you can probably tell, I’m not happy about this at all!!! I know it’s not the attitude to take but it’e the way I am feeling at the moment.

As for alcohol/sugar. I am a bach flower therapist, I take bach flower remedies. They have brandy as a preservative in them…. it’s only a tiny amount but I won’t stop taking them!

Yeah if you look in the Foods to eat section beside the Vegetables it says:

“Avoid starchy vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, yams, corn, all squash except zucchini, beets, peas, parsnips and all beans except green beans”

You can re-introduce things later on so introducing grapes and carrots would be ok. Just don’t be like me I eat grapes by the dishful! Ha 🙂

That’s what pissed me off at first I managed the diet for 5 days back a few years ago but it was the wrong diet, this website has made me see where I was going wrong.
    Got soo annoyed I thought feic it. I’ll be grand…sure I have alot of the symptoms but I’m sure they can be explained rationally some other way. Oh how silly I was.

Now I am in the right frame of mind. As I really couldn’t stand feeling soo crap all the time. I’m going away for the whole summer and will be in a very hot place so that’s going to be difficult to adjust so don’t need the extra hassle of this Candida crap. Plus all the weight it has caused me to gain is not making me happy.

So enough is enough! Time to kick things into gear! Basically you may fall off the wagon but that’s ok. When you finally reach that point of really wanting to make a difference then it won’t be as hard for you.

Know nothing about Bach remedies or what they even are but shall investigate 🙂
    They don’t want you to stop taking things like that for the full 6-8 weeks. Just for the first week. I’d say if you were able to follow that cleanse(liquid only diet thingy) it would work out alot faster for you. At the moment I can’t do the liquid week so am compromising and doing the Stage 1 diet. The week before I leave I shall have free time and as a result will try the liquid approach as a final kick to the Candida 😀

If ever you need to rant and rave go right ahead. This forum has people on it willing to listen and encourage you. Our lives will be better once this Candida crap is gone!!!

😀

Evurr

Hiya

Thanks for understanding.. sorry for being so grumpy earlier. I am just fighting against it at the moment.

Thing is, the only symptom I really need to be shot of is the thrush. I haven’t put on a lot of weight, I don’t feel poorly or sluggish. Yes I get bloating but I have had that for years and personally I think it’s stress related. When I say years I mean since I was a kid! And, it only really happens on work days… which says to me it’s not candida it’s stress.

I just want to stop the thrush!! I used to have vaginismus and having beaten it and finally found a guy that I love and treats me well I don’t want anything to risk bringing it back. thrush (or yeast infections) could so easy trigger the response to pain.

That’s why I’m not all for living with a restricted diet. I don’t feel it’s bad enough for me to want to do it.

I guess I haven’t read the pages properly as they make me feel so low.

I admit to slight compulsive eating tendancies, food is my friend. Although I don’t binge on a grand scale it is a coping mechanism. One packet of crisps or one choc bar does it for me, even just a spoonful of choc spread… but if I can’t have them then the stress levels just rise. munching on a stick of celery doesn’t cut it :0(

I also don’t eat meat and am not prepared to go back to it which means getting protien on this diet is really really hard.

I am working on cutting out sugar, fruit and yeast/fungi. I won’t be perfect but I wonder if I reduce it to a minimum, with the support of the homeopathic remedies I am taking, the pau darco, acidophilus and garlic I might be able to bring it down to a level where I don’t get thrush. That is enough for me.

does that sound do-able?

TT

Evurr wrote: Hiya

Thanks for understanding.. sorry for being so grumpy earlier. I am just fighting against it at the moment.

Don’t worry at all. You have a right to be grumpy! 😀
    Sure didn’t I go and flippin’ break it again by having some biscuits and butter.

Evurr wrote:
    Thing is, the only symptom I really need to be shot of is the thrush. I haven’t put on a lot of weight, I don’t feel poorly or sluggish. Yes I get bloating but I have had that for years and personally I think it’s stress related. When I say years I mean since I was a kid! And, it only really happens on work days… which says to me it’s not candida it’s stress.

I just want to stop the thrush!! I used to have vaginismus and having beaten it and finally found a guy that I love and treats me well I don’t want anything to risk bringing it back. thrush (or yeast infections) could so easy trigger the response to pain.

Well symptoms I have are as follows:

Abdominal Pain
    Fatigue
    Bloating, Gas, Indigestion
    Weight Gain
    Confusion, Dizziness
    Depression, Mood Swings(occuring randomly and without warning)
    Cravings(for red bull, alcohol sometimes and various things at rare times!)
    White coating on the Tongue(often in morning)-not sure if that is oral thrush as it describes a while film on the tongue as well?
    Then we have last but not least good ole
    ACNE!!!

Of course these occur at different times of various levels of intensity I guess depending on what I have eaten recently.
    Glad to hear you got rid of your previous condition and good luck in your relationship with the nice man! 😀

Depends really what you eat during those work days to get you bloated?
    You can’t really get bloated from stress can you?
    Maybe you aren’t eaten enough or too much of one simple thing that is reacting with you and causing bloating. May not have to be Candida related but it must be food related?

Evurr wrote:
    That’s why I’m not all for living with a restricted diet. I don’t feel it’s bad enough for me to want to do it.

I guess I haven’t read the pages properly as they make me feel so low.

I admit to slight compulsive eating tendancies, food is my friend. Although I don’t binge on a grand scale it is a coping mechanism. One packet of crisps or one choc bar does it for me, even just a spoonful of choc spread… but if I can’t have them then the stress levels just rise. munching on a stick of celery doesn’t cut it :0(

I also don’t eat meat and am not prepared to go back to it which means getting protien on this diet is really really hard.

I guess I’m just in a really good place at the moment and looking at the pages don’t make me low but gives me ideas how to keep this going and better myself.

Food is definitely a coping mechanism! I’ve found that alot more relevant to me in the last few years. When I was a teenager and stressed out or upset I couldn’t bare the thought of eating….now I stuff me gob! 😀

Don’t even mention chocolate spread!!! Been addicted to the Cadburys one(sorry if ye are a nutella fan but ewwwww :P) since I was wee and watching early morning Sat kids tv shows 🙂

Yeah I think you are not in the right place yet. I felt that way too. I would get soo stressed out thinking about how I couldn’t have this or this or this etc that I would crack and just have some.
    This time round I’m more in the line of thinking…ok I can have this and this…hmmm wonder what recipes I can find to throw something interesting together with these ingredients! Kind of like a challenge for myself.

Even changing about the veggies everyday helps instead of having the same ones day in, day out for a week.

Didn’t realise you don’t eat meat! That would throw a spanner in the works :/
    Normally how do you get your protein is it from certain beans?
    I’ll ask my veggie friends and see what items them come up with to help you.

Evurr wrote:
    I am working on cutting out sugar, fruit and yeast/fungi. I won’t be perfect but I wonder if I reduce it to a minimum, with the support of the homeopathic remedies I am taking, the pau darco, acidophilus and garlic I might be able to bring it down to a level where I don’t get thrush. That is enough for me.

does that sound do-able?

Yeah I think that could definitely work.
    By cuttign out the sugar,yeast and fruit you will be starving the Candida down to an acceptable amount. Don’t forget to eat plain yogurt it is very good for you.
    The one I got Dr.Oetker-Onken Set Natural it says it is suitable for vegetarians on the side?

Try the Psyllium Husk powder as well. I think it’s finally making a difference in me after 5 days of taking it. It’s cheap too. Big enough bag for €3.21(think it goes on weight so may vary in pennies like!) in my health food store anyway.

Plus up your intake in water to flush out the bad stuff.
    The amount of stuff stuck to folks colons probably would scare them!
    Try a colonic irrigation for the craic too! More you get rid of the more chance of never getting the thrush back.

Evurr

Hi TT

Thanks heaps for all the supportive stuff. It’s the first I’ve read to be honest.

From your list

Abdominal Pain – nope, only from bloating
    Fatigue – How can you tell, yes I get tired but I am also very bouncy at times
    Bloating, Gas, Indigestion – yes
    Weight Gain – Not put on weight for ages, about the same for over a year now.
    Confusion, Dizziness – nope
    Depression, Mood Swings(occuring randomly and without warning) – I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Dissorder) but I take vit D3 and it has worked wonders
    Cravings(for red bull, alcohol sometimes and various things at rare times!) – Not really, the odd choc bar after work but that might be low blood sugar.
    White coating on the Tongue(often in morning)-not sure if that is oral thrush as it describes a while film on the tongue as well? – Nope
    Then we have last but not least good ole
    ACNE!!! – I get the odd spot but not what I would call acne

I’m starting to wonder whether this isn’t it. Even with the thrush I don’t really get discharge, just itching. Definitely no smell.

You can’t really get bloated from stress can you?

Yes stress can cause bloating. If you think, stomach ulcers are caused by stress. I used to get it a lot as a kid. I also get it if I haven’t eaten. I am a grazer so if I go for a long period I can sometimes bloat. It doesn’t happen every day. I can eat exactly the same thing on two days and bloat one day and not the next.

I guess I’m just in a really good place at the moment and looking at the pages don’t make me low but gives me ideas how to keep this going and better myself.

That is so good to hear. My prob is I am not really inspired by cooking, there are so many better things to do with my life!!! I’ve not even heard of some of the things on the good list!

Didn’t realise you don’t eat meat! That would throw a spanner in the works :/
    Normally how do you get your protein is it from certain beans?

I get my protein from cheese, quorn, eggs and I do eat fish. I’m not a fussy veggie but I don’t eat meat and, unlike suggested on one forum, I am not prepared to start eating it again. Prob is cheese is a no no, quorn is made from fungi and the soya meat replacement stuff I bought this week to come away from quorn has yeast extract in it!!!! Can’t win!!

I see I can eat mozarella and edam type chese (I’m guessing cottage cheese is also ok) and fish and eggs are ok but that’s not a lot. And quite a few of the beans I eat i.e. baked beans are off the list too. Not sure about chick peas or kidney beans, probably too starchy.

I see I can eat whole nuts… I think this is protein so it may be that I have to eat a lot more nuts.

Sugar is proving to be veeeery hard. Although I have a savoury tooth I do like something small that is sweet every now and then. I’m a green and blacks junkie *hangs head in shame*.. sorry will stop talking about evil food. I am also finding (of course) that it is in everything!!! Not being a kitchen diva I tend to use cooking sauces and add veg and quorn. Seeing that artificial sweetener is also bad is a nightmare too!!!

I will try and find the psyllium although I am taking soaked linseed twice a day at the moment and that acts as a bowel cleanse. I have also found some ginger tea, but I see it has apple in it.

I eat plain yoghurt every day at work with some nuts thrown in.

Apple is mentioned in a recipe on the site so hopefully that won’t be too much of a problem.

I drink a fair amount of water. Take a litre to work with me and I always have a bottle to hand at the weekends.

Colonic…..no no nononononooooooo Sorry, just can’t even think about that.

Sorry this turned out to be so long, you’re the first person I have managed to get to respond to any of my posts on 3 forums now (other than those telling me to eat meat or the ones that contacted me privately either selling me stuff or being full of doom and gloom)

Thanks again

TT

Evurr wrote:
    Fatigue – How can you tell, yes I get tired but I am also very bouncy at times
    The bouncy energy comes out of nowhere at times though.
    I can be extremely tired and just no energy then BAM some how I get giddy and buzzing. I think that has to do with mood swings though for me.

Weight Gain – Not put on weight for ages, about the same for over a year now.
    The weight gain has stayed the same for me for the last year no matter what I did and that’s definitely down to this Candida I think. It makes it harder to loose weight as you eat all these common veggies and fruit thinking you are doing good when in fact you are still feeding the Candida.

Confusion, Dizziness – nope
    These are just general things. Not always happening but a combination at different times me thinks!

Depression, Mood Swings(occuring randomly and without warning) – I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Dissorder) but I take vit D3 and it has worked wonders

That’s good to hear 😀

I’m starting to wonder whether this isn’t it. Even with the thrush I don’t really get discharge, just itching. Definitely no smell.

I will try and find the psyllium although I am taking soaked linseed twice a day at the moment and that acts as a bowel cleanse. I have also found some ginger tea, but I see it has apple in it.
    Apple is mentioned in a recipe on the site so hopefully that won’t be too much of a problem.

I drink a fair amount of water. Take a litre to work with me and I always have a bottle to hand at the weekends.

Colonic…..no no nononononooooooo Sorry, just can’t even think about that.

Sorry this turned out to be so long, you’re the first person I have managed to get to respond to any of my posts on 3 forums now (other than those telling me to eat meat or the ones that contacted me privately either selling me stuff or being full of doom and gloom)

Thanks again

Added in some things above to the post.
    Sorry I’ve been away! Fell off the wagon ha 😀

The discharge may not happen in all cases though.
    Apple is mentioned in the recipe but it’s for Stage 2 like after you have fully done the cleanse for a week or two and then you start re-introducing foods.

Ha! Big no to the colonic then 😀

This forum seems to have picked up since I’ve been away that’s good. Once you get a good little community going then word spreads and other folks with similar problems get to hear about it and come along noseying…nosing….being nosey 😀

Oh I went looking for info on another forum for you about the whole protein thing.
    Will get that info and copy and paste it in a little bit 😀

minnow
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 13

what happens if you finish your detox and happen to fall off for a couple of days..should you do the detox again or just pick up on the strict diet for the 2 weeks?

Evurr

Hi TT

Sorry to hear that you fell off the wagon.

Still not totally conviced and I’ve been doing some more research on another forum.

There is one diet out there that is encouraging people to eat mostly meat so you switch into using fat from protein rather than carbs and then they say that you shouldn’t exercise because you are not getting enough to power the muscles. Sorry but that is just not healthy!!!

When I say my weight is stable I mean I am pretty much at a healthy weight. Yes I could do with losing a few lbs but I am certainly not hugely overweight. I haven’t been trying to diet because I am pretty happy as I am.

When I do try to diet I do feel that I lose weight. I don’t tend to weigh myself more work on what hole I am using on my belt and I have recently gone back to, and stayed, on the one I have been using for years (so much so I have had to have it repaired!)

My only real fatigue is due to my SAD. In the winter I am very tired. Also I am woken at 4am week days when my husband gets up, I then get up at 6.30 myself. So I go to bed when my husband does at 10pm. I find it quite easy in the summer to get up, get moving and go to work. When I get home from work I am happy to go out in the evening or work on the house most nights.

That to me says I don’t suffer from fatigue. When my SAD kick in in the winter it is a different story, but the D3 helped imensely!

I think it is good to get a good community going, however I think it is good to have a balance of opinions, so long as they are respectful. I was almost kicked off one forum because I wouldn’t follow their diet to the letter. They basically said they wouldn’t be able to advise me.

Although I am faaaar from being an expert I think it is easy to see that everyone who comes here is riddled with candida. It’s important to listen to the person and evaluate their situation.

It may well be that I have it but I want to look at it from all angles and be sure about it before I disrupt my life.

I am registering at a doctors after work today and then I will make an appointment to speak to a doctor about my recurring thrush and see what they say.

However, after tall of that rambling, I really do appreciate speaking to you TT. You have been a voice of compassion and understanding in a world of near fanatics.

Blessings to you

Heather

TT

Evurr wrote: Hi TT

Sorry to hear that you fell off the wagon.

Still not totally conviced and I’ve been doing some more research on another forum.

There is one diet out there that is encouraging people to eat mostly meat so you switch into using fat from protein rather than carbs and then they say that you shouldn’t exercise because you are not getting enough to power the muscles. Sorry but that is just not healthy!!!
    I think it is good to get a good community going, however I think it is good to have a balance of opinions, so long as they are respectful. I was almost kicked off one forum because I wouldn’t follow their diet to the letter. They basically said they wouldn’t be able to advise me.
    It may well be that I have it but I want to look at it from all angles and be sure about it before I disrupt my life.

I am registering at a doctors after work today and then I will make an appointment to speak to a doctor about my recurring thrush and see what they say.

However, after tall of that rambling, I really do appreciate speaking to you TT. You have been a voice of compassion and understanding in a world of near fanatics.

Blessings to you

Heather

Aww Heather you do make me giggle 🙂
    You remind me of a stubborn friend of mine 😀

That diet saying only eat meat and no exercise is definitely not healthy! Holy Mary!
    Sure everybody knows going out in the fresh air for a half hour walk everyday is very good for you.

Balance of opinions is a good idea too. They tried to kick you off another forum because you wouldn’t follow their diet! Hehehehehe 😀
    This is the only website I’ve bother looked at as if I looked at everything else it would drive me nuts too trying to figure things out.

Gonna give this one a proper go and if it doesn’t work out then I might try another website.
    Judging from how well I was feeling on those 5 days of the diet I think it would be good for me to stick it out.

Going to New York is going to throw spanner in works for few days…esp with them wanting me too drink. The thought of drinking actually makes me feel ill. Not because I don’t love it but knowing that I am doing more damage and helping the Candida along….(forget about me poor liver he can cope!ha)

Will set up another thread about sources of protein I found for you seeing as you don’t eat meat.
    Good to know for other people too.

TT

minnow wrote: what happens if you finish your detox and happen to fall off for a couple of days..should you do the detox again or just pick up on the strict diet for the 2 weeks?

Well if you do fall off the wagon for those few days it will block you back up and feed all the Candida again so you are back at square one.

If you have managed the detox week that is amazing and well done!
    After that just try and stick to stage one of the diet for few weeks then move onto stage 2 were you can re-introduce foods again.
    Try those foods one at a time though.

Eg. Have a handful of peanuts everyday for few days and see if you notice any pains/discomfort. If not then try a slice of bread everyday or whatever.

Evurr

TT wrote:

Aww Heather you do make me giggle 🙂
    You remind me of a stubborn friend of mine 😀

That diet saying only eat meat and no exercise is definitely not healthy! Holy Mary!
    Sure everybody knows going out in the fresh air for a half hour walk everyday is very good for you.

Balance of opinions is a good idea too. They tried to kick you off another forum because you wouldn’t follow their diet! Hehehehehe 😀
    This is the only website I’ve bother looked at as if I looked at everything else it would drive me nuts too trying to figure things out.

Gonna give this one a proper go and if it doesn’t work out then I might try another website.
    Judging from how well I was feeling on those 5 days of the diet I think it would be good for me to stick it out.

Going to New York is going to throw spanner in works for few days…esp with them wanting me too drink. The thought of drinking actually makes me feel ill. Not because I don’t love it but knowing that I am doing more damage and helping the Candida along….(forget about me poor liver he can cope!ha)

Will set up another thread about sources of protein I found for you seeing as you don’t eat meat.
    Good to know for other people too.

Hi TT

LOL, I’m so glad my grumpyness hasn’t put you off talking to me *smile*. I’m not really a grumpy person, only when you talk about restricting what food I can eat LMAO

Thanks heaps for the list of protein, I’ll follow that link you gave too when I get a mo.

If thinking about drinking makes you feel icky then don’t be pushed by peer pressure, even the coolest people (like Kat Von D) don’t drink. I don’t drink a lot but it is nice to be able to when I want to.

Glad to hear you also agree with me on the almost total meat diet. Also they say you need to boil leafy veg for 40 mins…. there is no goodness in it after that length of time so what’s the point in eating it???

I’m back eating good things, in fact I have hummous in my wraps so I’m getting my protein. I’ve also bought some mozerella and feta as I read on the list that un matured cheese (younger than 6 months) should be ok. I’m guessing cottage cheese would also be ok.

I am also starting to listen to my body. I’ve been eating live yogurt because of the “liveness” but I really don’t think that volume of dairy is doing me any favours. Small amounts are ok but a heap of it never did make me feel well. My bro is really milk intollerant and I know I am a little. Never had a problem with cheese though.

Just got to think of a substitute for it as that was what replaced the fruit that really was making me feel bloated. Once again, raw fruit always made me feel rough but smoothies were fine. I always believed it was something to do with the amount of hard fibre. I could drink gallons of smoothies with no problem at all… and did when I was in Oz.

I am very tempted by the detox week to get it over and done with but in reality I don’t think I could do it… so I’ll work on cutting the baddies out.

Bought myself a cafetiere mug so I can have coffee without a heap of sugar in it. I know some people say coffee is bad but at the moment I am trying to concentrate on sugar and yeast. Will work on other stuff when I have got that down to a minimum.

Really sorry, this is sort of turning into a blog… will go do some more work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘which foods to start with?’ is closed to new replies.