Whey & Kiefer

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Whey & Kiefer

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Flipper
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 79

I tried including whey in my diet (advised to me by a local nutritionist who SELLS whey) and developed horrible achy joints that are very slowly getting better. (I should have stuck to Able’s diet) Anyway I stopped eating kiefer as well thinking it’s dairy and so I should avoid it, but now I’m wondering does milk Kiefer have whey in it?
    I do have some water kiefer grains coming.

FranzFan
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 14

Bumping

I’d really like to know how safe it is to have whey on the anti-candida diet as well. Does anyone have any views on this?

Thank you

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

A simple bit of self research would have told you that whey & casein are milk proteins. When you ferment milk it often splits into curd (casein) & a murky but transparent liquid (thats the whey).

I don’t see the whey being a problem in Kefir, its the whey protein powders that are mainly made from economy milk that would be a problem because of the hormones & antibiotics.

Flipper

Hi benc,
    Thanks for responding.
    I know most whey is from cheap milk, but this was supposed to be organic whey ($50 for 14 servings!!) so I doubt the problem came from hormones and antibiotics, I think it was an allergic response possibly caused by leaky gut. I’m just wondering if there is any whey in kiefer, or does it all get skimmed off? I may try it after my joint aches go away. (Hopefully the aches will go away!)

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Most people are usually allergic to casein or lactose when it comes to dairy. I hadn’t heard of a whey allergy, but any protein can cause problems in susceptible people. It’s a shame, because whey protein has been shown to help with leaky gut, as well as some other health problems.

As for hormones, rBGH is illegal in some countries, e.g. anywhere in Europe. Oestrogen content is apparently 34ng/8oz of milk, compared to the 136,000ng/day men produce. 4oz cabbage has 2,700ng and 1tbs of soy oil has over 28,000ng, although these may behave differently to animal sources, but probably explain stuff like this. The oestrogen/progesterone ratio is supposed to be good in milk anyway. This page has the following about antibiotics.

Antibiotics may be given to prevent or treat disease in cattle. A “withdrawal” period is required from the time antibiotics are administered until it is legal to slaughter the animal. This is so residues can exit the animal’s system. FSIS randomly samples cattle at slaughter and tests for residues. Data from this Monitoring Plan have shown a very low percentage of residue violations. Not all antibiotics are approved for use in all classes of cattle. However, if there is a demonstrated therapeutic need, a veterinarian may prescribe an antibiotic that is approved in other classes for an animal in a non-approved class. In this case, no detectable residues of this drug may be present in the edible tissues of the animal at slaughter.

I don’t think these things are optimal, but I think they get blown out of proportion or outright lied about by naturopaths and other pseudoscientists. I think the more pressing issue is whether or not the cows are pasture fed, since this means more of the nutrients that make dairy so good. Many organically raised cows are just pounding wheat grains without the pesticides.

If you want to avoid whey, I think Greek yoghurt would be good because it’s mostly drained away (hence the thickness). You could try draining the whey from your kefir with a cheescloth to make cottage cheese. There are instructions on Dom’s kefir site. There’s a chance another factor caused your issues though. Whey protein is extremely insulinogenic, for example, or maybe you can’t digest lactose properly and were feeding candida. Have you tried “whole” kefir to see?

Flipper

Hi Javizy,
    Someone (I can’t find it now) sent me an article from Livestrong about reactions to whey that involve histamine and joint pain. (I would love to be able to eat whey since I’m an athlete.)

This is what I know. I was on Able’s diet and saw a local nutritionist because I was concerned with the newly developed ringing in my ears. She was not helpful with that -you, I think, mentioned eating more food. -but I still have the ringing.

Before I was on Able’s diet I had very achy joints. Two weeks into the diet my joints were fine.

The nutritionist told me to start using whey since she was concerned about my protein intake. She also said I could use cottage cheese. She suggested I add berries as well. I did this and within 4 days my joints got so inflamed I could barely move. I stopped the whey and cottage cheese. but have kept eating blueberries (I couldn’t resist this time of year). It’s been about 10 days now and my joints are better but not back to pain free.

I’m just learning about kefir and failed my first go round with making it. (It might have been too hot in my house.) Now I’m trying water kefir. (Looks like I was misspelling it too! LOL)

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Why don’t you try organic hemp protein?

It doesn’t taste great, but mixes ok with coconut water kefir, flaxseed, stevia, cinnamon, slippery elm, glutamine, & glycine.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I’d leave both the whey and berries out for now. The nutritionist is right about the importance of protein intake though, as I was suggesting in the other thread. If you’re low-carb and low-protein, you’ll end up as a sack of blubber with no lean mass and a whole bunch of symptoms. The amino acids released during muscle breakdown are unlikely to help your mental state or your liver function either. A lot of people are avoiding meat here but don’t seem concerned with the ammonia produced during ketosis.

You might find the yoghurt/kefir tolerable because sometimes there’s a “threshold”, e.g. 1 glass of milk for some lactose intolerant people. Otherwise you might need to improve your metabolism, gut flora, gut lining etc before you can overcome allergies. SIBO can be caused by slowed metabolism/digestion and bacterial wastes in SIBO patients can affect the production of lactase enzymes, for example.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whey & Kiefer’ is closed to new replies.