WHat type milk should we use for Kefir??

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions WHat type milk should we use for Kefir??

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  kodaz2005 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

I bought the Body Ecology Kefir Kit. I made my first batch yesterday with unsweetened Coconut milk. When I went to check it well after 24 hours it had not fermented. It wasn’t think and lumpy. It didn’t taste anything at all like kefir. It just tasted pretty similar to coconut milk,but slight less taste.

Most recipes online call for organic whole milk, however there is 6 grams of sugar in every serving of whole milk. Should we be using this, it doesn’t seem right?

What should we use if not whole milk? Please Able or Raster what is best? I tried looking over the protocol, the diet list and found no answer to this.

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

There should be some way to make kefir with coconut milk – I’ve bought coconut kefir at the store. I wonder if the cultures required are a bit different from what would be required to make kefir with milk? Also wonder if the temps need to be different when you use coconut milk?

kodaz2005

UncleOxidant;31231 wrote: There should be some way to make kefir with coconut milk – I’ve bought coconut kefir at the store. I wonder if the cultures required are a bit different from what would be required to make kefir with milk? Also wonder if the temps need to be different when you use coconut milk?

I’m not sure. I wish I knew. I used unsweetened coconut milk. I can’t imagine you would use the sweetened variety. Personally, I don’t care for whole milk anyway.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I believe for coconut kefir, you are supposed to use coconut water, not coconut milk. I’ve been looking for a post for over a half hour, but cannot find it. Email benc for his tips on how to make good coconut water kefir. There should be instructional videos on youtube.

-raster

kodaz2005

raster;31234 wrote: I believe for coconut kefir, you are supposed to use coconut water, not coconut milk. I’ve been looking for a post for over a half hour, but cannot find it. Email benc for his tips on how to make good coconut water kefir. There should be instructional videos on youtube.

-raster

Thanks Raster. There’s a bunch of others on here advanced into the diet. Is it correct to assume everyone should be using coconut water for their kefir?

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

kodaz2005;31235 wrote:

I believe for coconut kefir, you are supposed to use coconut water, not coconut milk. I’ve been looking for a post for over a half hour, but cannot find it. Email benc for his tips on how to make good coconut water kefir. There should be instructional videos on youtube.

-raster

Thanks Raster. There’s a bunch of others on here advanced into the diet. Is it correct to assume everyone should be using coconut water for their kefir?

You can use any milk you want for your kefir. Higher the fat content, better kefir (my own experience from making kefir most of my life). If properly fermented, within 24 hours (which is minimum fermentation duration), almost all or all sugar from milk should be consumed by the grain. Choose a good brand of milk and stick to it if you can. If what you have are milk grains, I don’t think you will be able to ferment coconut water. For that, you probably need water grains. Also, sometimes grains take one or few fermentation to “wake up” and start fermenting milk normally.

I hope this helps!

Arijana

eskimo_pup
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 78

In general you can try with coconut or soya sources [not on this diet obviously] but they will need dairy milk to grow and not stagnate as they don’t grow in the other milks, besides all the sugar is consumed in the process so use organic whole dairy milk.

Also i managed to purchase organic kefir grains for under £15 in the uk so not sure why you would not buy them fresh, i guess availability depends on which part of the world your in?

kodaz2005

orka1998;31236 wrote:

-raster

You can use any milk you want for your kefir. Higher the fat content, better kefir (my own experience from making kefir most of my life). If properly fermented, within 24 hours (which is minimum fermentation duration), almost all or all sugar from milk should be consumed by the grain. Choose a good brand of milk and stick to it if you can. If what you have are milk grains, I don’t think you will be able to ferment coconut water. For that, you probably need water grains. Also, sometimes grains take one or few fermentation to “wake up” and start fermenting milk normally.

I hope this helps!

Arijana

Thanks Orka, I’m using one of the starter kit though for my first batch. So I wonder do the sugars still get absorbed with the starter kit as well?

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Sorry I only used real grains, not starter kit. Does it contain any grains? What does it look like? Overcooked rice but more rubbery? That’s what grains look like.

Maybe someone who used starter kit in the past can help out. I only used the real stuff.

Good luck!

Arijana

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Already sent a PM, but for anyone else interested I got the best results using milk grains with coconut water & just treating it as it was milk kefir.

I do the same with raw goats milk & comes out very nice. I actually prefer the consistency to cows milk kefir. It works really well with a teaspoon of maca powder & cinnamon, plus a little stevia.

For the coconut water kefir I would always add a bit of stevia at the end to give it the sweet taste back, its not quite as good as in its original form but you get used to it.

On a separate note I was horrified at the taste of chicory coffee/drink when I first tasted it, especially as I love coffee, but its something you get used too over time & in fact it works fantastically when when making coconut cup cakes, and the like.

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

I do the same with raw goats milk & comes out very nice. I actually prefer the consistency to cows milk kefir.

I have to agree here. I’ve been buying goat milk kefir lately and really liking it… but it is kind of pricey.

cjtboy
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 26

Using milk kefir grains, I have made coconut milk kefir without any issues. Treated it just the same as regular milk kefir. I have read the grains won’t grow in coconut milk, so you should return them to regular milk before long, but is nice to change it up once in a while and use coconut milk, which is what I like to do.

Note- not sure of the difference, but i used real milk kefir grains, not the kefir starter kit you can buy in stores which is different.

kodaz2005

cjtboy;31273 wrote: Using milk kefir grains, I have made coconut milk kefir without any issues. Treated it just the same as regular milk kefir. I have read the grains won’t grow in coconut milk, so you should return them to regular milk before long, but is nice to change it up once in a while and use coconut milk, which is what I like to do.

Note- not sure of the difference, but i used real milk kefir grains, not the kefir starter kit you can buy in stores which is different.

I initially inquired about the milk question because I couldn’t get the Kefir to Ferment with Coconut milk, but I was using the Body Ecology Starter Kit.

I also Just received Actual Kefir Grains, from a woman who owns her own farm. I really prefer to get my kefir this way if possible, since I hate whole milk. But I have been told it makes the best kefir. So I figured I would make some of both.

Citiboy, what type of coconut milk are you using? Is it store bought or are you making your own from coconuts? I don’t have any way of getting coconuts, as I live in the North East climate, so I would need to use Trader Joe’s unsweetened coconut milk. I wonder if would work ok. I really don’t want to ruin the grains.

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

I use organic canned coconut milk. It contains guar gum, which doesn’t seem to be a problem for the milk grains. You should probably avoid milks with other fillers.

And, yes, I reinvigorate the grains by brewing some cow’s milk kefir approximately every 4th brew (and I give this to my other half!).

Len

kodaz2005

benc;31264 wrote: Already sent a PM, but for anyone else interested I got the best results using milk grains with coconut water & just treating it as it was milk kefir.

I do the same with raw goats milk & comes out very nice. I actually prefer the consistency to cows milk kefir. It works really well with a teaspoon of maca powder & cinnamon, plus a little stevia.

For the coconut water kefir I would always add a bit of stevia at the end to give it the sweet taste back, its not quite as good as in its original form but you get used to it.

On a separate note I was horrified at the taste of chicory coffee/drink when I first tasted it, especially as I love coffee, but its something you get used too over time & in fact it works fantastically when when making coconut cup cakes, and the like.

Benc, I’m not sure this would be a problem, but isn’t cinnamon an antifungal? I’m just wondering if you put the cinnamon directly onto the kefir, I wondering if you are killing off some of the kefir? I usually try to keep my antifungals and probiotics separate. Maybe one of the mod’s or forum experts could address if this would be an ssue?

Also, Does your Coconut Water Contain Sugars in it? I was planning on stopping at the store to try to locate some. It seems most of the Coconut waters are loaded with sugars. Can you even buy it without sugar?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘WHat type milk should we use for Kefir??’ is closed to new replies.