What to use instead of NSAIDS?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions What to use instead of NSAIDS?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

My monthly cycle has blindsided me with pain a few days early. What can i use other than a heating pad?? Im used to taking 3 motrin every8 hrs for 2-3 days. Any topical herbs, oils etc?

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

i’ve had good luck with valerian and strongly-brewed ginger tea (from fresh ginger, not bags).

Endora
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Hi, I have recently been researching alternatives to NSAIDs for menstrual cramping. Lately I have been taking homeopathic magnesium phosphate tablets (30c)from the health food store. This seems to relax things somewhat, it works ok if I am resting with a heating pad.

However, if I have to work this isn’t enough pain relief. I ordered boswellia and turmeric herbs to take throughout the month to reduce the inflammatory response. I use raw ginger in my tea, but it isn’t high powered enough for me! Also, larger amounts of evening primrose and borage oils for inflammation, along with the usual recommended vitamins/minerals: calcium-magnesium, A,E ,D.

For the acute cramping I am going to try white willow capsules next month. Supposedly the whole herb is easier on the stomach than aspirin. Also, scullcap ( like valerian) is supposed to be a good muscle relaxant, but it is also a mild sleep aid, not so great for working!

I have tried raspberry leaf tea, cramp bark tincture, vitex, etc. These seem to help with other PMS symptoms but do very little for my cramping. Everyone is different, some people seem to have good results with wildly different things.

I do feel that my candida issues were greatly aggravated by NSAIDs, causing leaky gut syndrome and gluten intolerance. They were a magic pill for my monthly issues, but created a lot of damage:( It is a good idea to try to find other things. Good luck:)

shayfo

these yoga poses also help me. i usually do reclining goddess with a pillow folded in half under my lower back to both pleasantly compress my sacrum and further open up my hips. of course, it’s difficult when you have to be up and moving around. http://sagebrooklyn.typepad.com/sage_spa/2011/08/reclining-goddess-for-crampspms-.html

i’ve also experienced considerably fewer cramps most months in the three years since switching from tampons to a diva cup. it’s too up close and personal for some people, but if you can deal with knowing such intimate details of your vagina and cycle, it’s the best thing ever. it also eventually saves you money, since you don’t have to buy tampons anymore. my only word of advice is to use panty liners or get cloth pads (i got mine from http://www.comfyclothpads.com because they aren’t as absurdly expensive as glad rags or the other big names), because once in a while, you will probably still have a little leak until you get the hang of things. again, cloth pads are an expense up front, but i think they’re worth it, too. i seriously haven’t bought any menstrual products in three years.

hope some of this hippie shit helps 🙂

shayfo

also, NSAIDs are definitely of the devil. a few months ago, several weeks of debauchery (champagne, bourbon, thai food, no sleep, repeat) caught up with me HARD and i had earth-shatteringly crippling cramps on the first day of my period. i’m a massage therapist, and the spa i worked for at the time refused to get a couple of my appointments covered (or to just cancel them), so i loaded up on NSAIDs before each appointment to try to get through without passing out. that night, i noticed my stomach was burning, and it would start burning again every time my stomach was empty. the internet and my local herbalist confirmed that i had earned myself a duodenal ulcer from all those NSAIDs. to be fair, it was a pretty big overdose, but not more than i’ve heard other people say they’ve taken. pretty good anecdotal evidence to avoid them, in my opinion.

edit for happy ending: i healed the ulcer in less than a week with smoothies made of fresh aloe vera gel (from my plants), chia seeds, vegetables, and fruit. my herbalist also made me some tea with marshmallow (the plant, of course) and licorice root and chamomile.

Endora
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Shayfo, thanks for the yoga pose! Very helpful! I too am a massage therapist, and took Advil to get through each month. I also had the stomach burning as you described and urinary tract bleeding. I just thought I was sensitive to coffee. It was probably kidney damage:( yuck! That went away when I stopped a few years ago.
    I switched some of my days at work to a different place where I am an independent contractor so that I could rearrange appointments myself. I totally get it:)
    I am glad you healed your ulcer! Treating it early probably helped a lot. I might have to invest in some aloe plants this spring!

shayfo

they’re definitely good to have around.

Emsmith
    Participant

We’ll my diva cup arrived, but not my cycle! Last month was early, now a week late. Im breaking out though, extremely irritable, tired, and craving some girl scout cookies. Still taking apo-lactoferrin, started cal/mag/zinc prob 3 wks ago. Recently added ashwaganda and biotin. I wonder if maca is ok? I tried it awhile back when I first started the diet and skipped 2 cycles for the 1st time ever and stopped the maca. It came back after starting multi w/iron which i then switched to lactoferrin.

Shay, what kind of soap do you use for the cup?

Endora, how’s the white willow??

shayfo

My aunt gave me a bottle of “Diva Wash,” which is the soap made for it by the company that makes Diva Cups. As long as you find something mostly natural and fragrance-free, that’s pretty much the idea, I think. Diva Wash is plant-based, hypo-allergenic, and dye/fragrance-free.

I think it’s mentioned in the instruction booklet with the cup, but if not, note that you may have to trim down the little stem of the cup to be comfortable. I cut off a little bit of it, though I guess not everyone has to. Be patient with getting used to it, it’s so worth it.

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

Shayfo,

I’ve had my diva cup for YEARS but haven’t been able to insert it! It drives me crazy because I’m still wasting money on tampons.

shayfo

Oh no, Angel! It took me a few months to get it right. I do the second folding option mentioned here: http://divacup.com/how-it-works/how-it-works/ The first option does NOT work for me.

My aunt actually gave me the Diva Wash because she was giving up on her Diva Cup after a couple of days of frustration, haha. She got it in, but had a really hard time retrieving it (not an issue I’ve ever had, but everyone’s different). She might have cut off the whole stem? Not sure.

I read in some you’re-growing-up-now pamphlet about tampons when I was a tween that opening your mouth a bit when you’re trying to insert something can be helpful, because it makes you more relaxed? I don’t know if it’s really true, but I think it helps me to think about it, at least, haha.

healinglight
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 66

Emsmith;32299 wrote: My monthly cycle has blindsided me with pain a few days early. What can i use other than a heating pad?? Im used to taking 3 motrin every8 hrs for 2-3 days. Any topical herbs, oils etc?

No topical herb advice but…I brew a tea from a teaspoon of coriander seeds and fennel seeds in a glass of water and drink it thrice a day. It helps me a lot, hope it helps you too. 🙂

Emsmith
    Participant

Thanks ladies! Im thinking of ordering this pms tea:
    Proprietary Blend of the following herbs 1 Packet-6 grams *
    Bupleurum *
    Cyperus *
    White Peony *
    Ligusticum *
    Angelicae *
    Corydalis *
    Achyranthes *
    Dipsacus *
    Red Peony *
    Moutan *
    Baked Licorice *
    Peach Kernel *
    Carthamus *
    Mugwort

Will try that fennel/cor tea!

Im cheap and wanted to find an unscented, non castille, etc soap that wasnt $10 for 6 ounces, but couldnt so diva wash arrives tom.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

i never knew of the alternatives to excedrin its the only thing that ever helps me rid of headaches or cramps and now im trying to avoid it so thanks for this post girls !

Emsmith
    Participant

glad to be able to finally use the diva cup! it’s def. awkward at first but with a little practice w/ the second folding option it’s worth it. don’t try this over the toilet until you get the hang of it!

i am so happy to not be using any motrin this cycle… the white willow has worked wonders and i’m thrilled!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What to use instead of NSAIDS?’ is closed to new replies.