What probiotics are folks using?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions What probiotics are folks using?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  titan 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

I’m using:

• HMF from Genestra
    • Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics (got a lot of good reviews, so I thought I’d try it)
    • Jarro-dophillus
    • Udo’s Choice Super 8 probiotic from Flora
    • Mutaflor (a beneficial e-coli from Germany – must be ordered from Canada as the FDA hasn’t approved for US market even though it’s been used in Germany since the 30’s )

I don’t take all of these every day, I tend to alternate them and take at least two different ones each day. (though I am taking the Dr. Ohhira’s every day – I just started taking in on Friday). Also eating some locally produced, live saurkraut with most meals.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Dr Mercola’s

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

HMF Neuro and Megaflora (only one bottle per month)

-raster

Castiel
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Advanced Acidophilus Plus (Non-Dairy, Solgar brand)

Ms T
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 22

Dr. Ohira’s Professional Formula worked great for me. After about two weeks on it, I was pooping twice a day (sometimes three). Biggest mistake I’ve made so far was switching to MegaFoods’ MegaFlora after reading a post here saying you should alternate probiotics. A month on that and I am back to pellet poops and, now, going back to Dr. Ohira’s, gas pains so severe I can’t sleep at night.

Today, I’ve woken up feeling like I’d be a happier person if I never ate anything. Again. For the rest of my life.

I have the Jarro-Dophillus but didn’t give it much of a try. I will probably go back to that later. I didn’t experience any problems with it.

I also find sauerkraut much more helpful than Greek yogurt or kefir. I don’t think my body really needs lactose right now.

Second biggest mistake I made was switching from the antifungals I’d been using (oregano oil and caparylic acid) to SF722. My sugar cravings returned in spades.

All in all, this combination of changes has made for a bad month for me. I really don’t know about this “alternating” probiotics business. I’m going to stick with what works until it doesn’t from now on. Plus I am a little tired of feeling like I’m running my own pharmacy/vitamin store.

I’d say give the Dr. Ohira’s some time to work and see where you get with it. I believe it’s a very good product.

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

I think It’s fair to say everyone responds differently, because no two infestations are the same. I wlfind Megaflora is working well for me.

Is it possible that your symptoms are evidence of die-off?

Len

titan
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 131

Probiotics causes die off, especially the ones recommended on the forum with DDS-1. Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1 secretes specific antifungal and antimicrobial agents.

If you feel bad when taking a probiotic, that means its working. Either lower the dose to your tolerance, or push through the pain (going to the sauna helps). After a month or 3, you will break through the discomfort, I promise.

I had a severe infestation, now I’m up to 100 billion of MegaFlora. As long as I go to the sauna, I feel good during the day. I plan to up my intake to 200 billion over the next 10 ten days, listening to my body for any reactions. But it took me 4 months to get to this place where I can increase things safely.

For antifungals, I use SF722 (6 pills a day), coconut oil (up to 10 tablespoons a day now), and I alternate oregano oil (2 week treatment, 8-18 drops a day) with caprylic acid pills (2,000 – 3,000 mg a day, for a 6 week treatment). The caprylic acid caused major die off, but again, as long as I went to the sauna, I could handle the discomfort and still get a good nights sleep.

I have gone up and down with coconut oil and kefir, as these were hard on me too, but I never stopped them completely.

I alternate oregano oil and caprylic acid.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Slow down if something causes a problem, then try to ramp it up again slowly.

I’m here to tell you, if you can break through the first 3 months of adjustment and sweat out the toxins at least 3-4 times a week, life will feel good again by month 4. I woke up this morning in a complete state of relaxation. That feeling of stretching and groaning awake while lying in bed. That is a feeling that hasn’t been in my life in years.

Be Positive.

toni8
    Replies: 40

culturelle 10 billion in the a.m
    complete probiotics by Klaire labs 10 billion but only take half the dose otherwise is too much im taking it in powder form with dinner

raster
    Participant

My only knock on the Dr. Ohira’s probiotics is that it only contains about 1 billion cfu probiotic per dose. This is likely why you felt better on this Mrs. T because its a pretty low dose.

-raster

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

titan—Wow… 10 tablespoons of coconut oil a day. Does that high amount ever upset your gut. I assume that the coconut oil your doing is with a meal. I cant do that amount more than 2 days or I begin to get gut discomfort.

I have trouble doing coconut oil in the evening cause it seems to disrupt my sleep with its metabolism(speeding up) properties.

Too much coconut oil late at night ever interfere with your sleep?

UncleOxidant
    Replies: 56

In the case of Dr. Ohhira’s it seems to contain some strains that are not in other probiotics – at this point I consider myself a collector of different probiotic strains so it’s nice that it offers some diversity. This is also why I’m taking the Mutaflor – it only has 250M cells/capsule, but the type of cells are quite different than other probiotics (in that case it’s a type of beneficial e. coli). Also, there is some thinking that suggests that whole food probiotics (like kraut, kefir, etc.) are more effective and Ohhira’s seems to be comprised of whole, fermented foods.

Ms T

Len, raster, titan, et al,

Thanks for your thoughtful insights.

titan,

I agree that part of the problem for me is going too fast. Yes, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. I think I (like everyone at some point) am just so sick of tracking everything, and this minimalist diet. It’s now at the point where I don’t want to eat ANYTHING because either A.) I can’t or B.) I can but I’m sick of it.

I did take a one-day break and go off probiotics for a day, and my gut pains were relieved. I also got so depressed I had ice cream, which I haven’t had in about 5 months. Ugh.

Thank you.

raster,

I know we all go by the CFU count to try to measure potency, but Dr. Ohira claims that his probiotics multiply more effectively in the gut because of the way they are produced — through fermentation. In fact, he says the Professional formula doubles every 30 minutes for about 8 hours. Could just be creative marketing. Who knows? You can only really check it via your reactions or by watching the stuff grow in a petrie dish in some lab, which I’m not qualified to do. But I do know that I was more regular using his product.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the MegaFoods product line and have used other products in that line for years. I’ve heard good things about MegaFlora and will probably try it again. This time around, it didn’t feel good to me, but there could certainly be more than one thing going on.

My quibble with MegaFlora is that it doesn’t have L Reuteri and L Rhamnosus, which are important to women’s health. In fact, if you look at children’s probiotics, they always include L Reuteri and/or L Rhamnosus, two of the most important probiotics for kids which are passed on from the mother. I’m also not a huge fan of the freeze-dried probiotics, which I believe MegaFlora is, and I think there’s a lot that goes into potency aside from CFU.

That said, I don’t know if Dr. Ohira’s includes the two strains mentioned above either, *sigh,* so some days I add one or both of these. I believe he just lists his strains as “proprietary lactobacillus blend.” Again, all I know is that I was more regular on the Dr. Ohira probiotics, but I need to remember it took me a while to get there.

I did read a post just today where you thought HMF Neuro was working better for you than MegaFlora, no? Did something change in your experience that I missed?

Len,

Yes, it could be a new phase of die-off. I went through a very intense two weeks when I first started. I tend to think die-off goes in phases so maybe I am in a new phase of that, too.

Thanks again to all of you. Let’s just say I’ve had a setback and am really irritable and depressed. I’ll get over it/past it, and hope to move into a new phase of healing.

I didn’t mean to hijack the original thread. I just have found Dr. Ohira’s probiotics effective. You can smell the fermentation when you pull a pill out of the packet.

T

raster
    Participant

Ms T;31534 wrote: I did read a post just today where you thought HMF Neuro was working better for you than MegaFlora, no? Did something change in your experience that I missed?

I cannot decide anymore which one is better and makes me feel better because when I change it up, I feel great on both at first.

I recently went back to HMF neuro after megaflora and I feel super good right now. I am unsure why this is, but is likely due to a few factors more than the probiotic.

I’m even thinking about going back to renew life or another strain/brand to get more variety but I will always come back to HMF neuro regularly.

-raster

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

A reminder of jorge’s warning about using too much Oil of Oregano due to the toxicity of eugenol it contains.

I was getting some weird skin issues and after dvjorge’s post about eugenol made the decision to take a break from oregano and the skin issues seem to have resolved/responded positively. Then again, I was on it for many months as a main antifungal.

Interesting post since it couldn’t hurt to mix things up with probiotic brands and reaffirms able/raster’s protocol of rotation.

wishing you all grace filled holiday blessings.

Ms T

If only there were one clear, consistent, guaranteed path of action that worked for everyone all the time. Ha!!

Thank you again for the replies and encouragement, raster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What probiotics are folks using?’ is closed to new replies.