What do YOU use to sweeten?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions What do YOU use to sweeten?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  hartsinlove 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

burmamom
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

My homeopath (who is a little off) said I could sweeten with Demerara sugar. I’ve done some research online and many sites say not to use Demerara or any other. Any suggestions? I would like to use vanilla, but there is lots of sugar in it and I believe alcohol… isn’t there yeast in alcohol? I’m just so confused! I’ve made a bunch of my own recipes for pancakes, breads and so on and I’ve been using Demerara.. any suggestions will be appreciated!

kelandu
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 63

hi from what I have read you can use vanilla pod and stevia but nothing else. then again you find so many conflicting reports lol. I havent used any of threm yet but plan to because i am missing my sweets lol
    kelly

burmamom

kelandu wrote: hi from what I have read you can use vanilla pod and stevia but nothing else. then again you find so many conflicting reports lol. I havent used any of threm yet but plan to because i am missing my sweets lol
    kelly

Thanks for the reply! I’ve been using Demerara and felt almost guilty.. as if I was breaking a rule and not helping myself. I haven’t touched yeast, gluten and many other things since November, but I still felt like my homeopath was wrong. I bought stevia tonight and will try it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

kelandu
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 63

let me know how you get on with the stevia because i havent tried it yet. i am wanting to bake because i miss sweets lol.

burmamom

I put the Stevia in my yogurt and my tea today… very good results so far!!! It would take a lot (expensive) of stevia to do baking, but when you are craving sweets, it may be worth it! Just don’t share the baked goods! LOL

whyitsme
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 72

I was told I could use Stevia or Xylitol. I have been using Stevia.

4evryoung
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

I use stevia extract. 2 drops = 1 tsp sugar.

Some stevia products have sugar in them.

HealMyGuts
    Replies: 12

At my local supermarket they have a product called Stevia in the Raw which is made by the same people that make Sugar in the Raw. I picked up a bag of this, which is equivalent to 5 lbs. of sugar, for just over $8.

EDIT: It turns out that Stevia in the Raw contains maltodextrin. This is a starch based powder made from glucose molecules. This is not ok on the Candida Diet. I guess I should have read the label a little closer.

It tastes exactly like Equal brand sweetener. I tried to use it to bake some cookies out of almond flour last night, but I found the taste of the stevia to be awful.

I used Xylitol in the past. Though I have never used it for baking, I highly prefer the taste of Xylitol to that of stevia. Xylitol tastes like sugar only not as sweet. Stevia tastes like sweetener. As far as I know, both of these sweeteners are safe on the Cadida Diet.

As it so happens, Sugar in the Raw is what is called “turbinado sugar.” Turbinado sugar is a close cousin to Demerara Sugar. These are both derived from the first pressings of sugar canes, but are less processed than refined sugar. They contain slightly fewer calories than refined sugar and are thought to have a slightly reduced impact on blood glucose and insulin levels.

Personally, I would still avoid Demerara and Turbinado on the Candida Diet. They are still made from sugar cane, and it’s hard enough to stop Candida without ANY sugar, let alone any kind of “not so bad” sugars.

burmamom

HealMyGuts wrote: At my local supermarket they have a product called Stevia in the Raw which is made by the same people that make Sugar in the Raw. I picked up a bag of this, which is equivalent to 5 lbs. of sugar, for just over $8.

EDIT: It turns out that Stevia in the Raw contains maltodextrin. This is a starch based powder made from glucose molecules. This is not ok on the Candida Diet. I guess I should have read the label a little closer.

It tastes exactly like Equal brand sweetener. I tried to use it to bake some cookies out of almond flour last night, but I found the taste of the stevia to be awful.

I used Xylitol in the past. Though I have never used it for baking, I highly prefer the taste of Xylitol to that of stevia. Xylitol tastes like sugar only not as sweet. Stevia tastes like sweetener. As far as I know, both of these sweeteners are safe on the Cadida Diet.

As it so happens, Sugar in the Raw is what is called “turbinado sugar.” Turbinado sugar is a close cousin to Demerara Sugar. These are both derived from the first pressings of sugar canes, but are less processed than refined sugar. They contain slightly fewer calories than refined sugar and are thought to have a slightly reduced impact on blood glucose and insulin levels.

Personally, I would still avoid Demerara and Turbinado on the Candida Diet. They are still made from sugar cane, and it’s hard enough to stop Candida without ANY sugar, let alone any kind of “not so bad” sugars.

Thank you for the update! You are thoughtful!

burmamom

4evryoung wrote: I use stevia extract. 2 drops = 1 tsp sugar.

Some stevia products have sugar in them.

I didn’t know that some stevia products had sugar! Thanks for informing me!

Terrylee5151
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 20

WhyItsMe is correct. Stevia and Xylitol are the only two sweetners that don’t feed candida. I happen to use the Stevia because they say Xylitol can kill your dog….. I think if it could kill a dog, I am going to stay away from it.

burmamom

Terrylee5151 wrote: WhyItsMe is correct. Stevia and Xylitol are the only two sweetners that don’t feed candida. I happen to use the Stevia because they say Xylitol can kill your dog….. I think if it could kill a dog, I am going to stay away from it.

Oh my goodness!! that is scary to hear about Xylitol! Mind you grapes, pure chocolate and tomatoes can kill your dog too, but still, I would stay away too!

I was using demerara because my homeopath suggested. I bought Stevia and I only like in in some things. I went to my appointment on Thursday and my candida levels are WAY down. Almost completely normal. I guess the demerara wasn’t that bad for my body! Which is good for me, because I love it!

getwell
    Replies: 1

@burmamom, happy to hear you are getting better! Demrara sugar is regular unprocessed sugar, I will keep it to a bare minimum – Xylitol & Stevia are your best options 🙂
    Also a major FLAW on this website claims Candida prefers an ACIDIC environment – absolutely NOT – it prefers an Alkali one! that’s a big stupid misconception on line, it’s what happens when random “know it all” simply copy/past from one another…
    Here is a great place to get accurate information, they don’t try to sell you a bunch of useless stuff either…
    http://www.owndoc.com/category/candida-albicans/
    check out the forum as well – http://forum.owndoc.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Candida

burmamom

getwell wrote: @burmamom, happy to hear you are getting better! Demrara sugar is regular unprocessed sugar, I will keep it to a bare minimum – Xylitol & Stevia are your best options 🙂
    Also a major FLAW on this website claims Candida prefers an ACIDIC environment – absolutely NOT – it prefers an Alkali one! that’s a big stupid misconception on line, it’s what happens when random “know it all” simply copy/past from one another…
    Here is a great place to get accurate information, they don’t try to sell you a bunch of useless stuff either…
    http://www.owndoc.com/category/candida-albicans/
    check out the forum as well – http://forum.owndoc.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Candida

Thank you for you advice! So far I’ve done really really well with the demerara. You’re right about the alkali! I was told that the day I was told to go on the diet. I’ve been on the diet since November and it’s been really good so far!

hartsinlove
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

burmamom wrote: My homeopath (who is a little off) said I could sweeten with Demerara sugar. I’ve done some research online and many sites say not to use Demerara or any other. Any suggestions? I would like to use vanilla, but there is lots of sugar in it and I believe alcohol… isn’t there yeast in alcohol? I’m just so confused! I’ve made a bunch of my own recipes for pancakes, breads and so on and I’ve been using Demerara.. any suggestions will be appreciated!

I use stevia which pretty much cuts out any baked goods. If I add baked goods I just spin out of control and go backwards. Even if it is made with almond flour and such.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What do YOU use to sweeten?’ is closed to new replies.