What carbs are allowed?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions What carbs are allowed?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TheChosenOne 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

nth714
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 19

Hi guys. I’m currently putting together my candida diet plan but one thing I’m unsure about is carbs. I know the diet is very carb restrictive but is it safe to be eating very low carb for long periods of time? It seems most of the carbs you get are from vegetables. Which would be difficult to get even 40 grams worth of carbs a day from. And also I’ve read that people suggest limiting animal protein. Does that mean this diet is low carb AND low protein? Seems kind of dangerous, no?

My questions are:

Is it safe to go low carb / no carb for long periods?
    What type of carbs are allowed besides vegetables?
    Is it okay to eat meat twice a day i.e. white meat/fish for lunch and red meat for dinner?

Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I generally wouldn’t worry about carbs because you need to worry about feeding yourself first and foremost, before worrying about feeding the yeast. I have never suggested people go low carb or low protein and there are a few others on this forum that suggest this. One of the typical candida plans is to starve the yeast into oblivion but its going to survive on what you eat no matter what, its all about feeding it less than a typical western diet.

Popular carb sources include buckwheat, rice, starchy veggies such as pumpkin, and the baking flours such as almond meal, buckwheat flour, teff flour, coconut flour, etc.

If you are a woman, my ND suggest that you meat 3x per day and if you are a male he suggest 1x per day.

Its hard to gain proper nutrition with this diet because of the food limitations, so don’t starve yourself!

-raster

nth714
    Participant

raster;60400 wrote: I generally wouldn’t worry about carbs because you need to worry about feeding yourself first and foremost, before worrying about feeding the yeast. I have never suggested people go low carb or low protein and there are a few others on this forum that suggest this. One of the typical candida plans is to starve the yeast into oblivion but its going to survive on what you eat no matter what, its all about feeding it less than a typical western diet.

Popular carb sources include buckwheat, rice, starchy veggies such as pumpkin, and the baking flours such as almond meal, buckwheat flour, teff flour, coconut flour, etc.

If you are a woman, my ND suggest that you meat 3x per day and if you are a male he suggest 1x per day.

Its hard to gain proper nutrition with this diet because of the food limitations, so don’t starve yourself!

-raster

First off, I want to thank you Raster for replying. I’ve seen many of your posts on this forum and you are always so helpful and knowledgeable. I truly admire and commend you on your efforts to help others.

Good to know that some types of carbs are allowed on this diet! Although I must say some of the things you listed contradict what I have seen on other websites. Most of them mention not eating any type of flour or starchy veggies. Are the ones you listed an exception to the rule?

Also, can you explain what you meant by “If you are a woman, my ND suggest that you meat 3x per day and if you are a male he suggest 1x per day.”

I am a male, are you saying I should only eat meat once a day?

Thanks again.

raster
    Participant

Ya I would eat meat once per day.

I would avoid high starch high sugar veggies like carrots, potatoes, corn, beets, etc. I would worry most about sugar content (glycemic index) and mold content more than anything.

In my food list I have these removed:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9282_Raster-s-safe-food-list.aspx

Here’s a great website to use to look up sugar content of foods:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/

-raster

nth714
    Participant

raster;60402 wrote: Ya I would eat meat once per day.

I would avoid high starch high sugar veggies like carrots, potatoes, corn, beets, etc. I would worry most about sugar content (glycemic index) and mold content more than anything.

-raster

Thanks. Very helpful list of food you created. I’m curious as to why beef is not allowed? That’s pretty much my main staple when it comes to meat. Don’t know if I could sustain this diet without it. Also, what do you recommend as far as fiber? I assume fiber supplements are off limits?

raster
    Participant

nth714;60404 wrote:

-raster

Thanks. Very helpful list of food you created. I’m curious as to why beef is not allowed? That’s pretty much my main staple when it comes to meat. Don’t know if I could sustain this diet without it. Also, what do you recommend as far as fiber? I assume fiber supplements are off limits?

Beef and pork isn’t recommended because it takes 2+ days to digest whereas chicken and fish take hours to digest. This causes chronic constipation benefits the yeast.

I’ve tried miracle fiber before but I would only use it temporarily because it supposedly benefits the yeast too.

-raster

nth714
    Participant

raster;60418 wrote:

-raster

Beef and pork isn’t recommended because it takes 2+ days to digest whereas chicken and fish take hours to digest. This causes chronic constipation benefits the yeast.

I’ve tried miracle fiber before but I would only use it temporarily because it supposedly benefits the yeast too.

-raster

Oh okay guess I’ll try and limit the beef. I thought it had to do with some bacteria or something the beef contained.

Yikes I guess the only source of fiber is from veggies then. It’s tough to balance your health needs on this diet.

I am current taking a green powder (Green Vibrance). You think it will have any negative effects on this diet?

I am also curious to hear your candida story and how you overcame it. Do you have an old post or something you could link me to? Thanks.

raster
    Participant

Ya green vibrance is a big no no for the diet, it has too many ingredients not good for the diet.

Here’s my story, I went to a professional to get better and I recommend this for everyone:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst818_Candida-diet-blog-post-from-month-2-to-3-years.aspx

-raster

nth714
    Participant

raster;60421 wrote: Ya green vibrance is a big no no for the diet, it has too many ingredients not good for the diet.

Here’s my story, I went to a professional to get better and I recommend this for everyone:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst818_Candida-diet-blog-post-from-month-2-to-3-years.aspx

-raster

Your story is very similar to mine. I also got sick from exposure to black mold while helping my parents renovate their bathroom. This was September of 2013. I started developing unusual symptoms but it went away after 2 weeks. Couple of months later (May 2014) I visited my parents again and spent the night. Got another severe allergic reaction. The symptoms came back again but much worse this time. It’s now October (5 months) and there’s no sign of improvement. I was hoping it would go away like before but after I ended up in the ER, I came to the realization that I have to help myself get better. I’ve tried getting medical help from all types of doctors, including a naturopathic doctor (which was a big waste of money). All my research has led me to two likely causes–mold/candida overgrowth or heavy metal toxicity. I’ve done a urine test for heavy metal and the results shows I had an elevated level of uranium. I suspected it would be mercury poisoning but not uranium. It didn’t make any sense to me. But the mold/candida theory does. It can’t be a coincidence that I got sick twice after exposure to mold at my parents house. Well I just ordered the candia5 home test kit so hopefully I’ll get some answers. I’m not exactly sure how mold poisoning leads to candida but since their both fungus I guess it’s not hard to see the connection. It’s comforting to know you went through something similar and overcame it.

Can you tell more about the symptoms you experienced? I’m curious if they are anything like mine. I have many symptoms but the worst and most debilitating is the brain fog. I just feel so out of it and disconnected most of the time. It’s hard to describe. Like I’m in this dream-like state. I have difficulties focusing or concentrating. The simplest of tasks(like writing this post) is a struggle. And my memory has suffered a lot too. I sometimes have a hard time remembering what I did earlier in the day, like what I ate for breakfast. It’s been real tough these past few months. But this forum has at least given me some hope.

raster
    Participant

Basically I was real ill and I noticed I felt way better not at my apartment so I moved out. I had seizures in my sleep as my big symptom. What happens is the candida feeds on the mold you inhale and consume and multiplies. I had major anxiety and food sensitivities. What I later realized is that most of my symptoms are directly related to histamine levels (look those up). So I took a ton of antifungals because I wanted to get over this quick and that made it worse for me and it took a few months to detox. Don’t do anything too quickly is my advice.

You likely would get better with allergy shots and you can get candida allergy shots too. This might be the easiest and effective way to get better. But keep in mind you still have to repair your body and the shots don’t do this.

I’m still not better, after 3 years you get sick of the diet and want to cheat. I can do the diet 6 days a week but I have to have a cheat meal which is my big problem now.

I basically had liver symptoms, histamine/allergy symptoms, seizures, and poor blood circulation symptoms.

-raster

nth714
    Participant

raster;60428 wrote: Basically I was real ill and I noticed I felt way better not at my apartment so I moved out. I had seizures in my sleep as my big symptom. What happens is the candida feeds on the mold you inhale and consume and multiplies. I had major anxiety and food sensitivities. What I later realized is that most of my symptoms are directly related to histamine levels (look those up). So I took a ton of antifungals because I wanted to get over this quick and that made it worse for me and it took a few months to detox. Don’t do anything too quickly is my advice.

You likely would get better with allergy shots and you can get candida allergy shots too. This might be the easiest and effective way to get better. But keep in mind you still have to repair your body and the shots don’t do this.

I’m still not better, after 3 years you get sick of the diet and want to cheat. I can do the diet 6 days a week but I have to have a cheat meal which is my big problem now.

I basically had liver symptoms, histamine/allergy symptoms, seizures, and poor blood circulation symptoms.

-raster

Thanks for explaining the correlation between mold poisoning and candida. I never quite understood how being exposed to mold affected one’s candida growth. But what you said makes sense.

I have an appointment with an allergist later this month so I will ask her about the allergy shots.

You said you’re not better after 3 years? Yikes. That’s very disheartening to here. Are your symptoms at least improved? Seems we are in the same boat but with different symptoms. Mine are more neurological. Although I have notice a lot more outbreaks with my eczema (which I had under control for the past few years) and I also seem to be getting fungal infections like ring worms on my arm that has not healed for a few months even with medication. It’s like my immune system is badly compromised. But the most difficult thing like I mentioned is the brain fog. It’s just hard to live a normal functioning life now. I stay indoors a lot more now and my social life is suffering.

Yeah I’ve only been on this diet for not even a week but I’m already getting cravings. I can’t imagine keeping this up for 3 years. What happens when you eat a cheat meal? Is the reaction immediate or the next day?

I wonder if I already had an underlying fungal problem before I even got exposed to mold. I’ve been experiencing really bad sharp pain in my lower left flank and back (kidney?). I’ve had a cat scan and endoscopy done which both came back negative. Now I wonder if all along it’s been some kind of fungal issue.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

raster;60428 wrote: What happens is the candida feeds on the mold you inhale and consume and multiplies.

How can candida feed on inhaled mold? Why would it feed on mold, and not on the much more abundant supply of nutrients you consume through your food?

Rabelais

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

Rabelais;60449 wrote:

What happens is the candida feeds on the mold you inhale and consume and multiplies.

How can candida feed on inhaled mold? Why would it feed on mold, and not on the much more abundant supply of nutrients you consume through your food?

Rabelais

It doesn’t feed on the mold, but if you think of it in a figuratively way, it seems to.

The mold you ingest causes your imuune system to attack it. This weakens it, and that means it doesn’t fight the candida in your body, leaving that free to multiply and get worse.

I hate the notion “mold feeds candida”, but as long as it’s telling people to avoid mold at all costs, then so be it for the better.

nth714
    Participant

TheXtremisT;60451 wrote:

What happens is the candida feeds on the mold you inhale and consume and multiplies.

Rabelais

It doesn’t feed on the mold, but if you think of it in a figuratively way, it seems to.

The mold you ingest causes your imuune system to attack it. This weakens it, and that means it doesn’t fight the candida in your body, leaving that free to multiply and get worse.

I hate the notion “mold feeds candida”, but as long as it’s telling people to avoid mold at all costs, then so be it for the better.

So mold weakens your immune system leaving candida to grow out of control?

lead
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 30

This post in Curezone (ericbakker) says that it’s purely immune system problems that cause candida to grow. Molds don’t really ‘feed’ candida per se. I think I remember seeing in this forum how raster saw ericbakker’s post and agreed with it but he must’ve forgotten.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What carbs are allowed?’ is closed to new replies.