What am I doing wrong (kefir)?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice What am I doing wrong (kefir)?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Hi,

I just cannot seem to make kefir right. It either comes out looking thinner just like milk but with a different taste (24 hr ferment), or when I warm the liquid and slightly longer than 24 hrs, it looks like the pictures below with chunks/speckles.

I am using around 3-4 cups of milk to my kefir grains… if I used more milk, I thought it would just come out more liquid-like. I cannot seem to make the right consistency, which I thought was to be thicker than milk, somewhat sour yogurt-like taste…

I feel beyond stupid that it’s been almost 2 weeks and I’ve barely made more than 1-2 glasses I can consume. I am just wasting milk at this point. When I give it the 24 hours, and it comes out just like milk (but different smell/taste), I worry that it’s not fermented right and full of lactose so I usually throw out instead of drinking.

Thank you for any responses, REALLY appreciate it!

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    I have a couple of questions for you before I can offer you some assistance.
    Where did you purchase your grains? How long ago did you get the grains? How many batches hav e you made? What ration of grains to milk are you using? I’ll watch for your reply. What kind of climate do you liv live in a cool or warm?
    Miriam

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

Miriam;38658 wrote: Hi,
    I have a couple of questions for you before I can offer you some assistance.
    Where did you purchase your grains? How long ago did you get the grains? How many batches hav e you made? What ration of grains to milk are you using? I’ll watch for your reply. What kind of climate do you liv live in a cool or warm?
    Miriam

I probably received them 2ish weeks ago from Marilyn Kefirlady (kefirlady.com). Fresh milk grains, I live in CT and keep at room temperature 68-70 degrees my apt is. I am using around 3 cups to my grains since that’s how big my mason jar is, I let ferment 24 hours. Sometimes it comes out as watery/consistent as milk, so I let stay and then it creates the pictures. Maybe I should be using more cups of milk, but then it wouldn’t all fit in my mason jar. I’ve been making batches daily, but rarely drink what ferments due to the pictures I’ve shown or I think it’s just too “like milk” and I fear the lactose consumption.

Thank you very much for the response.

Miriam

Hi,

I purchased my grains from cultures for health. They were dehydrated. Have you spoken to the kefirlady to get her suggestion? I wanted to purchase dehydrated grains. I got mine from culturesforhealth.com. The grains you got from the kefirlady were they dehydrated? If not what kind of milk did she use? I know that the grains don’t like to have their milks switched on them. I know this from experience. You can make coconut milk kefir and milk kefir at the same time. When you use coconut milk you do have to at use least one time every 2 weeks use cows milk. The ratio is 20 parts milk to 1 part kefir grains.I never started off with fresh milk grains. Mine have always been dehydrares. I broke the jar with the grains in them and had to get new grains-dehydrated again. With the picture you show I wouldn’t drink them either. Myself I would repurchase new grains from culturefor health. Start over. I don’t like to chance things.
    Hope this helps. Contact me again if you need to.
    Miriam

hdispain
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 16

It sounds like you are using too much milk. I just got my grains (1 tbsp) and I’m using 1 cup of milk for each 24 hour batch and it comes out perfect. Your grains aren’t big or strong enough at this point for that much milk.

Neetah
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Hello i am fairly new to making keffir. At first i thought i was doing it all wrong because my grains were very small and my keffir would go all thick and lumpy and they would get lost in it. But the lady i bought them from said that kefir grains vary alot depending on the temp of your house. (my house has been very hot lately) she said to just mix a bit of water into the thick kefir to make it thinner so it will go through the strainer, tapping the side of the strainer with a ceramic mug helps the kefir fall through. For a one litre batch of kefir i usually end up with 2 tablespoons of kefir grains with which i make the next batch. Even if you leave the kefir for a really long time and it looks like cheese vomit apparently its still very good for you. Once you remove the grains you can put the kefir in your blender with a bit of vanilla essence and honey to make it more pallatable (depending on how strict your diet is)

missourifarmgirl
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

I use water keffir is this ok? Made with juice or sugar?

jay253
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 43

this is what mine looks like and i got my grains locally and they where in milk, mine smells like yeasty cheese ,some say to avoid yeast for candida but why would yeast like yeast nystatin is yeast so maybe those yeast chunks will help out

Miriam

Hi,

I don’t put my kefir in the blener ever. I add what ever I want to the kefir but I do it by hand. FYI Your grains may ferment in less than 24 hours. Mine do. I use the blender to break up the fruit. You shouldn’t eat fruit or drink juice on the Protocol diet. Let that come later when you are adding foods back into your diet.

On the water kefir you want to use sugar water not juice. Rapadura is a great sugar. I mix my sugars using 2 different sugars in batch.
    Hope this helps,
    Miriam

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What am I doing wrong (kefir)?’ is closed to new replies.