Weight Loss Concerns on Candida Diet, Advice?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Weight Loss Concerns on Candida Diet, Advice?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Holistic Health Journal
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

Hey guys, so I’ve been on the candida diet and nystatin for 30 days now. On day 1 I weighed 144 lbs and today I weigh 134 lbs, so I’ve lost 10 lbs. I am 6’3″ tall, so I am a very tall slender guy with really no extra weight to lose. Should I be concerned about losing this much weight? Or is it necessary to lose weight when treating candida? I made a video blog on this where I basically say the same things I say here, but if you want to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHioPZZpsuE&list=UUe0nu1fWzB8VaVC4Ab87Wdg

About my diet: For this 30 days I completely avoided all grains and fruit. And of course avoiding all the obvious crap as usual like sugar, processed foods, etc. I also avoid potatoes, corn, mushrooms, and vinegar.

What I eat: My diet consists of vegetables, lots of greens, organic meats and fish, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, tahini, flax and hemp), fats + oils (avocado, coconut, and olive oil). I eat hummus/legumes and sweet potato in moderation. That’s pretty much it but I get lots of variety within that.

Should I be concerned about this weight loss? I’m wondering, should start adding back in small amounts of grains, like quinoa and brown rice? Maybe add in some berries or green apples? Or should I just try and eat more of what I’ve already been eating?

I feel like I eat as much as my body can handle as it is (probably around 1,000 – 1,500 calories per day.)I eat 3 meals a day, sometimes a snack. I get that full feeling after eating most times, kinda bloated, and I don’t think I can eat much more calories than I do now. I’m worried that I eat too much fat. I eat around 67 grams of fat per day, give or take depending on the meals. I always get tired after eating. I’ve had chronic fatigue for 6.5 months now.

If anybody has any advice for me I would really appreciate it, thank you.

-PJ

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

When I started this diet, I gained a bit of weight. I’m almost the same size, but I weigh 67 kg (148 lbs).
    Your diet seems about right. You seem to consume enough fats. Since you always feel full after a meal, it shouldn’t be too much of a concern. Maybe you are lipase deficient which means that you can’t process fats very well (floating bowels is a typical symptom). If so, it might be a good idea to add some enzymes.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello PJ,

There likely is a variety of factors that have caused you to lose weight. Examples include poor absorption of nutrients, leaky gut, the yeast eating the food before you eat it, the bad bugs utilizing the food, and your body needing the food to heal, etc. In general your body should start to absorb food more as you get better and your body will need less energy to heal itself.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this diet is quite different to whatever diet you had beforehand. Before you likely were eating wheat, potatoes, corn, etc. and these foods contain tons of energy when compared to the candida diet. So the difference in energy between the two diets is something to consider. For instance, your lunch before the diet could’ve been hamburger and fries and a diet soda. To get this amount of energy on the candida diet (eating healthier foods), you need to eat 2 meals pretty much…maybe drink carrot juice, a salad, and chicken and rice plus some teff bread to get the same energy.

My recommendation is to eat more food and/or consider certain digestive aids or other supplements. If you can gain energy from the food you eat, then you’ll feel a lot better.

The simplest way to do this is to chew your food 30+ times per each bite. This is a hard habit to implement if you gobble down your food real fast:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1222_Chew-your-food-longer–Simple-tip-to-improve-your-health.aspx

Another way to do this is to take digestive aids that break down the food for you. Digestive enzymes and digestive bitters can do this as well as supplementing with HCL (hydro-chloric acid). If you are deficient in stomach acid, then your stomach is not breaking down the food properly:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

Another way to give your digestion a break and allow for better nutrient absorption is to make smoothies or juice your veggies with a blender or something like a nutribullet. If you were to do a juice/smoothie fast for a few days, this likely would greatly benefit your digestive health, giving it a break allowing it to heal.

Also if you supplement with probiotics and prebiotics, this will help your beneficial gut flora grow. When the numbers increase, the surface area of your gut increases, allowing for better absorption. I don’t see a lot of prebiotics in your diet such as teff, buckwheat, onions, artichokes, etc. and these will feed the probiotics in your gut.

Out of all of these, my biggest suggestion is to improve your diet and eat more food. Start making teff bread, try out goat’s milk kefir, start adding buckwheat to your meals (gluten free grain), start eating beans, etc. Aim for 3-4 course meals and make soups and freeze your meals, etc. so you don’t spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

I’d try out brown rice occasionally, like once a week at first and increase as you get better. I would not consume quinoa on the diet and don’t feel that its safe.

-raster

Holistic Health Journal
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

This diet isn’t actually that much different than what I’m used to. The only thing different is that I’ve cut out all grains and fruits, that’s pretty much it. Otherwise I’ve eaten clean for 15+ months. And I already chew my foods 30+ times. So after hearing what you guys are saying I’m a lot more interested in digestive aids. But first I need to test something:

Yesterday was a terrible day for me. I was tired all day long, and every time I got up I felt like I needed to lie back down. I think it was because the night before I had sunbutter, then the next day I had it at 2 meals in a dip that I make with hemp, flax, water, etc. I think seed butters and tahini are hard for me to digest or something. I’ve thought this for a while now, usually the days I eat seed butters I feel the most fatigued, and I’ve been eating a seed butter every other day. So for the next few days I’m going to stop eating all seed butters and see how I feel. I’m going to keep an eye out for if I feel just as bad eating a large amount of other foods. But I have a feeling the seed butters are what’s messing me up.

joe
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 18

Ive lost about 10 pounds also and Im pretty sure it wasnt anything i really needed.
    Im starting to look ripped and see some 6-pack abs with very light work out.
    I have been studying and training to become a personal trainer and this f-ing Candida episode has made that very hard, when you can’t look someone in the eye and talk like a normal person how can you help them achieve their fitness goals? Anyway, I used to work out everyday for 2 hours and could never seems to lose my gut, about 10 lbs of fat around my mid section. Things are looking good now and about a week into the diet guess what…my stomach went flat as it should be and its even starting to go inward. i haven’t been able to suck my gut in, in several years because the Candida growth in my stomach was blocking anything from less than an ugly bulge.
    SO Happy! If you have enough energy try lifting weights 3 times a week for maintenance and add extra weight to add muscle, it also helps the bones get and retain their strength and density.(we all need that as our diet has been poor and our bones regrow over the course of 10 years)
    My educated guess is that weight lose due to this diet is water, visceral fat that holds toxins and since your glands are working good again they should start to turn down the cortisol production and lower the stress hormone. You should be able to fill in the gaps with muscle pretty easily.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Holistic Health Journal;57454 wrote: This diet isn’t actually that much different than what I’m used to. The only thing different is that I’ve cut out all grains and fruits, that’s pretty much it. Otherwise I’ve eaten clean for 15+ months. And I already chew my foods 30+ times. So after hearing what you guys are saying I’m a lot more interested in digestive aids. But first I need to test something:

Yesterday was a terrible day for me. I was tired all day long, and every time I got up I felt like I needed to lie back down. I think it was because the night before I had sunbutter, then the next day I had it at 2 meals in a dip that I make with hemp, flax, water, etc. I think seed butters and tahini are hard for me to digest or something. I’ve thought this for a while now, usually the days I eat seed butters I feel the most fatigued, and I’ve been eating a seed butter every other day. So for the next few days I’m going to stop eating all seed butters and see how I feel. I’m going to keep an eye out for if I feel just as bad eating a large amount of other foods. But I have a feeling the seed butters are what’s messing me up.

Yes I definitely recommend messing around with the nut butters. I was very highly allergic to almond butter starting out and would get reactions that would last for hours. After 6 months on the diet I wasn’t allergic to it any longer. The pumpkin and sunflower butters are probably the worst because of the high mold content…I tried out sunflower seeds the first 6+ months and they definitely set back my progress.

However back to the weight gain stuff…I would try out eating grains and I don’t think you should fear carbs at all (if thats a concern). You need carbs to give you energy and to be healthy…avoiding them could be detrimental to your health.

For instance one thing that could be happening is that your body needs energy and since its not in your diet, it uses its reserves instead.

-raster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Weight Loss Concerns on Candida Diet, Advice?’ is closed to new replies.