Week 5

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sunshine33 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

sunshine33
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 17

Hello! I’ve been lurking this forum for a couple of weeks and thought I’d finally register and start posting. I’m on week 5 of my anti-candida diet. I started out not knowing much and following the advice of the first few websites I found. Since then, I discovered this site and others and have been following Able’s advice more than any others.

I started a new job at the beginning of June, and was stressed out with my new schedule, sat at a desk all day instead of being on my feet, and started drinking way too much caffeine. I had really bad stomach cramps and lower abdominal bloating, always felt full, etc. I was tired all the time — I’d come home from work and go right to bed. Then I got what seemed to be heat rash, something I’ve never had before and started doing some research and found that all of my symptoms might be related to candida. I’ve always been susceptible to fungal infections like ringworm, and I have melasma as well, both of which are also linked. It made sense to start on the candida diet.

I had horrible headaches for two days (probably from caffeine withdrawal), but after that I was fine. I had some tiredness and occasional flu-like symptoms, but they always disappeared after a couple of hours. My “heat rash” took about a week to clear up, and it still comes back occasionally but very mildly. I attribute all of those symptoms to mild die-off reactions.

I started taking both probiotics and antifungals day one. Had I found this site sooner, I would have known, but I didn’t. I’ve used several different antifungals (coconut oil, olive leaf extraxt, GSE, black walnut extract, oregano oil, pau d’arco tea). I alternate the antifungals every four or five days, except I take the coconut oil and probiotic every day. The probiotic is Primadophilus Optima — 35 billion CFU, 14 strains plus scFOS, enteric coated.

I’ve been feeling mostly incredible. My stomach problems went away about five days into the diet, and haven’t returned. I have energy, I lost about 10 pounds and am at my ideal weight, my skin is clear and glowing. I’ve found lots of recipes and am excited about cooking and really seeing this through — even after candida is under control, I’ve learned some important things about the food I eat and I can’t imagine ever changing my habits back to what they used to be.

I had some fruit last week (a one-inch cube of watermelon one day, and one small strawberry another day). Both times I felt a sugar rush for hours after but had no other reactions. Today, out of nowhere, I’m exhausted and have a terrible headache that just won’t go away. Another die-off reaction? I’ve been working out more in the past week or so, but nothing else has really changed in my life.

I’ll stop rambling and get to my questions:
    1. Is it weird to have a more significant die-off reaction this far in to my diet (this is the worst I’ve had)?
    2. Did I mess up by taking antifungals and probiotics since day one (and eating beans and legumes, didn’t know that was a no-no the first two weeks)? Do I need to start over without all those things?
    3. Does my reaction to fruit mean I’m not ready for it yet?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello there, and welcome to the forum.

I was more than just a little pleased to read your post because it proves just what I believe to be true; that more and more people are becoming interested in staying on a healthy diet after their infestation is cured than they are in getting back to the original diet, you know the one that got them here in the first place. But unfortunately there are still plenty of Candida sufferers who think that way. Is that manner of thought ridiculous or not?

Anyway, to get to your questions;

Quote: “I’m exhausted and have a terrible headache that just won’t go away. Another die-off reaction?”

Reply: Probably. If you’ve not read the post I made on Aug. 8 titled “Die-off Dangers” you may want to read it. Basically what you need to know is the information on two products, Molybdenum and Candidate by Native Remedies both of which treat the die-off symptoms as well as helping to clear the toxins from your body which is very important to the health of the liver.

Quote: “Is it weird to have a more significant die-off reaction this far in to my diet (this is the worst I’ve had)?”

Reply: No not weird. This could be due to the buildup of beneficial bacteria from the probiotic plus anything you may be eating that may add new bacteria such as organic Greek yogurt or kefir, as well as any prebiotic you may be eating to feed the beneficial bacteria such as fresh garlic, greens, onions, barley, asparagus, organic oat bran or brown rice bran, and broccoli.

Quote: “Did I mess up by taking antifungals and probiotics since day one (and eating beans and legumes, didn’t know that was a no-no the first two weeks)? Do I need to start over without all those things?”

Reply: No you didn’t mess up; all you would have done is cause yourself to go through a worse die-off experience than was necessary, however, the beans and legumes could have prevented the die-off from being that terrible. So in reality, your ‘mess up’ could be what saved you from a lot of suffering actually. And no, you do not need to start all over. I think you’re doing fine.

Quote: “Does my reaction to fruit mean I’m not ready for it yet?”

Reply: The sugar rush stemmed from the fact that your system has reached the point where it is no longer used to sugar and cannot handle it as well as it once did. A lot of people, when they’re well into the treatment and think they’re doing great with destroying the infestation, will end up cheating with an overload of sweets only to discover that they’re sick on their stomach within a few hours. Not a smart thing to do. Your system is able to adjust to just about anything you feed or don’t feed it, but overdoing it with something that it isn’t used to is asking for trouble. I’m not suggesting that you did this with the small bit of fruit, only that your body was simply not used to sugar of any type, and actually, I think that’s a good thing. If you wish to eat fruit at this point, I suggest starting with a quarter of a Granny Smith apple occasionally. It’s not only going to present less of a sugar rush, but the pectin (fiber component) is food for the flora in your system.

Let me know if you have other concerns, and congratulations on following your protocol so successfully.

Able

sunshine33

Thanks, Able! My body’s been telling me (for the most part) that I’m on the right path … but it’s reassuring to hear it from someone who’s been there.

One more question — what do you think about goat cheese? I’ve learned how to make my own ice cream and bread and make flour and milk from almonds and all of that, so most of my cravings have been met. But oh, how I miss cheese! And I could certainly be happy with goat cheese for the rest of my life. Can I ever eat it again?

Able900
    Spectator

As far as goat cheese is concerned, it probably wouldn’t hurt to have a small slice perhaps twice a week, but I would be careful to keep the total carbohydrate count for the day low enough to prevent Candida reactions, and just watch for a Candida symptom after you’ve eaten it the first time. By the way, I would start with only a few bites the first time.
    Yogurt made from goat milk would be great for keeping the beneficial bacteria count in your system up.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Keep it up sunshine! I am on the road to recovery as well!

sunshine33

Thanks, Raster and Able!

So excited to know that I can have some occasional goat cheese on my salad!

Able, I figured out a couple of things in my diet that have changed in the past 3 or 4 days. I finally started using the stevia that I bought weeks ago. I realized it sweetens up my greek yogurt quite nicely, so I’ve been eating that as part of my breakfast every day. Before now, I was only eating the greek yogurt in small quantities — like a little in salad dressing or when I had refried beans and pico de gallo. I was using it more like sour cream than actually eating a whole cup of it.

I’m still feeling like crap. My headache is gone, but I’m exhausted and bloated (bloated for the first time in four weeks). So I have three theories about my symptoms:
    -I could be having a reaction to dairy (my greek yogurt is organic cow’s milk — which I thought was ok to have as long as it’s only in greek yogurt and kefir)
    -The beneficial bacteria in the greek yogurt could be causing a die-off reaction
    -I may be intolerant to stevia (is that possible?)

Any thoughts?

sunshine33

Oh, I do have one more question. Or may a couple. I watched the movie “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead” a few weeks ago and was so inspired that I went out an bought a juicer. I’ve been juicing once every couple of days (usually when I have a lot of veggies to use up), but I want to do a juice fast. I was thinking ten days when I originally saw the movie, but now that I’ve done some research, I’m thinking probably a three-day juice fast.

Is this a good idea? And would I keep taking the antifungals and probiotic if I do?

Thanks so much for your help!

Able900
    Spectator

Quote: “I’m still feeling like crap. My headache is gone, but I’m exhausted and bloated (bloated for the first time in four weeks). So I have three theories about my symptoms:
    -I could be having a reaction to dairy (my greek yogurt is organic cow’s milk — which I thought was ok to have as long as it’s only in greek yogurt and kefir)
    -The beneficial bacteria in the greek yogurt could be causing a die-off reaction
    -I may be intolerant to stevia (is that possible?)”

Any of the above could be the cause of why you feel as well as the bloating, although feeling like crap and being bloated are both fairly common with both Candida and die-off symptoms. You might try changing one of those at a time to see if your symptoms change afterwards.

Quote: “I’m thinking probably a three-day juice fast. Is this a good idea? And would I keep taking the antifungals and probiotic if I do?”

I see no problem with a three-day juice fast. I would continue the antifungals and probiotic as well. There’s a possibility of more die-off reactions with the juice fast. Are you planning to obtain the Molybdenum to lessen the die-off stress – or do you already have it?

Able

sunshine33

The Candidate is on its way (mail order). I’m hoping I can buy the molybdenum at Whole Foods — I just have to try and get in and out without spending yet another $100. This diet is expensive lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Week 5’ is closed to new replies.