Week 3 and no grains – Help

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Week 3 and no grains – Help

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  commited2win 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

commited2win
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

Hi everyone,

I am on day 20 of the strict diet recommended by Able900.
    I have not cheated once since I started (apart from accidentally taking a dose of a supplement that had sugar in it). As a matter of fact, due to my constraints I have been stuck in the egg and veggie stage of the diet, unable to more forward. I don’t have a problem with weight, I just want to move forward.

I have two problems:
    1) I am in a foreign country where even getting things like baking powder is difficult. I shipped all my things ahead of time, but I just learned that I will have to wait most likely until the last week of Feb. or beginning of March for my probiotics, baking powder, stevia, and other various vitamins/supplements.

I really want to start eating breads/grains (that are recommended on the strict diet) but I do not know how without baking powder. I have baking soda but I am unsure if it is safe to use on this diet.

Any suggestions? I tried once to bread and lightly pan fry some organic chicken, but it doesn’t feel very substantial (but it was delicious).

2)
    Today I tried to make injera (it is a fermented flatbread from Eritrea/Ethiopia made from teff, buckwheat, salt, and water) and I failed miserably. It would not come out right no matter what I did. Then oddly enough, while not even ingesting enough to warrant a chew I started feeling very nauseous. Today I took much less of everything (anti-fungals, homemade kefir, supplements, vitamins, etc.) because I had to work on a report right after class. I can’t tell if that was contributing to the effect. I am still extremely nauseous.

This is the biggest reaction I have had all treatment. Usually I have had slight on sets of die-off (light headache, bloating, rash, itching) that I would take care of right away with supplements and/or yoga, but I can’t shake this. As I am writing this I still feel it (I have not nibbled on the injera since the time I was cooking it 2 hours ago – again, in total I didn’t even have a full bite/chew’s worth).

I read that on the forum that vomiting is not a common symptom of die-off or candida. Can someone explain what is happening here and how to fix it. I already held back from most of my treatments (for the first time on this diet) because of a time crunch today. Should I completely drop everything tonight/tomorrow?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

commited2win;35654 wrote: I really want to start eating breads/grains (that are recommended on the strict diet) but I do not know how without baking powder. I have baking soda but I am unsure if it is safe to use on this diet.

Any suggestions?

You can make your own baking powder with 1 teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons cream of tartar. Change the amounts in you need to in order to make only what you are going to use at one time.

Today I tried to make injera (it is a fermented flatbread from Eritrea/Ethiopia made from teff, buckwheat, salt, and water) and I failed miserably. It would not come out right no matter what I did. Then oddly enough, while not even ingesting enough to warrant a chew I started feeling very nauseous. Today I took much less of everything (anti-fungals, homemade kefir, supplements, vitamins, etc.) because I had to work on a report right after class. I can’t tell if that was contributing to the effect. I am still extremely nauseous.

It sounds like the fermentation process wasn’t quite what it should have been. Perhaps too strong, but it doesn’t look like one bite could cause that much die-off.
    So perhaps one or more of the ingredients went bad due to the way if fermented. If this isn’t the problem causing the nausea, I don’t know what it would be.

Should I completely drop everything tonight/tomorrow?

I would hold off on all antifungals and probiotics until you’re over the nausea.

Able

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

HI Committed,

I can relate to you since I just moved from Oregon to The Netherlands last August. I’m not sure where you are, but you have some options. First of all iherb.com delivers everywhere in 48 hrs and they have baking powder. You can use my code for $10 discount BKC394.

Have you tried looking for Sodium bicarbonate? (that’s what baking soda is called here) You will likely find it in the drug store if you can’t find it in your grocery store. Ask your pharmacist they should be able to tell you where to find it, or even sell it to you.

Cream of Tarter is not widely found outside of North America, so I’d be surprised if you could find that when you couldn’t find baking soda.

Is there any chance you have a China Town where you are? The Asian markets will sometimes have Baking Soda, that was the first place I found baking soda and powder when I moved.

Hope that helps!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I have not used baking powder in any of my baked goods. It’s not necessary. I have made coconut bread, buckwheat biscuits, and oat bran muffins this way and they were all delicious. They are probably not an “ideal” texture compared to “normal” bread products, but you get used to it really quickly.

commited2win
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 7

Thanks everyone, I found some answers/solutions to my bread problem.

I am experimenting with Roti recipes (the other indian flatbread) and other recipes that don’t require baking powder.

mrs. candida: you are right. cream of tartar is even harder to find. luckily I found an organic grocery store that sold a baking soda without aluminum (but some corn starch). I am using that until my shipment arrives.

A word on iherb
    I contacted them directly about their shipping policies, especially concerning probiotics. Their website claims 7-10 days of delivery to Europe, but shortly after our talk they updated it to say some clients said it could be up to 21 days. As for the probiotics, they specifically said they would NOT ship it was ice and suggested I chose a more shelf stable type. I contacted Innate Response and they said they products’ integrity would not be compromised even in hot climate if and only if it was delivered within 10 days (without ice).

I have be able to ship things very various websites from other countries including Germany, Finland, the US, and Central America to get my needs met. It does, however, take a long time to get through customs.

Stevia
    I was able to find pure stevia whole leaves since where I am they only sell the chemically extracted “sweet compound” from stevia (think Truvia and other brands that don’t list the whole leaf as the only ingredient). It crushes easily pinched between to fingers. I am not at the stage where I can eat it, but I tested while making a batch of coconut balls that I froze for later in the diet. The fresh stevia leaves in them worked fine.

Able900
    The problem with the injera was that I used buckwheat in the batter (with some salt); two things that prevent a bread to rise. Other than that I have no idea what went on. I threw it all out because the smell of it reminded me of the nausea I felt.

I still do not know where all the die-off is coming from, but it could just be my time. Previously I was coasting through the diet, now I have mood swings and severe bloating when I consume kefir (sometimes homemade and sometimes commercial because of time constraints). I can’t wait for my probiotic supplements to arrive so I can feel that the die-off is not in vain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Week 3 and no grains – Help’ is closed to new replies.