watermelon radish, elephant garlic

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions watermelon radish, elephant garlic

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mrs.candida 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

wondering if watermelon radish or elephant garlic are ok? I know black garlic is out bc that has added sugar.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I don’t know anything at all about a watermelon radish. Elephant garlic has a higher sugar content than regular garlic, but I’m unaware of exactly how much more. Because of this fact I would use it cautiously if at all.

Able

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I just bought a watermelon radish at Whole Foods yesterday! They’re new at mine. I haven’t tried it yet, but the cashier said it’s milder and blander than regular radish, which makes me think it’s probably not any more sugary. The one they had cut open kind of smelled like kohlrabi, or a broccoli stem. I bought it mostly because 1) radishes are delicious, 2) it’s pretty! (Light green outside, bright pinkish-red inside)

I’m obviously slightly nerding out on trying a new vegetable.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

shayfo;33896 wrote: I’m obviously slightly nerding out on trying a new vegetable.

Way to nerd out, Shay. As far as I can recall, nerding out has never caused anyone problems on the forum.

Able

shayfo

😀

As an update, they’re like a delicious pink-hued lovechild of jicama and broccoli stems.

FreeRadical44
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 6

Emsmith;33886 wrote: wondering if watermelon radish or elephant garlic are ok? I know black garlic is out bc that has added sugar.

how does black garlic have added sugar? does the fermenting process make sugar or something? i don’t understand. Although, the taste is quite sweet. I just discovered that today, and had no idea. No good for the diet though it seems, cuz I was having pretty hard sugar cravings afterwards(was sleep deprived as well, which is always a junk food trigger for me)

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I’ve had those radishes before! They are pretty and taste similar to kohlrabi. What did you do with them?

I would assume elephant garlic would be fine, it must contain more sugar than regular garlic because it’s more closely related to onion then garlic.

1 tablespoon of chopped onion has .43 grams of sugar
    1 tablespoon of chopped elephant garlic has 0 grams of sugar

I once had a doctor tell me to stay away from onions because they are too high in sugar. (I know! crazy right!)

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

The elephant garlic was labeled with 8 grams sugar! I like the watermelon radish on salad, will try roasting them soon.

shayfo

I ate my watermelon radishes cut into sticks with guacamole. Yum.

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

8 grams? Was that for the whole head? I simply cannot believe that elephant garlic has more sugar than onion.

Here’s the nutrition info I found online:

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/friedas/elephant-garlic-cloves

http://qa3store-static0.fitbit.com/foods/Elephant+Garlic/61784

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘watermelon radish, elephant garlic’ is closed to new replies.