Water kefir, too much sugar?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Water kefir, too much sugar?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

For a while I was eating just the grains and tossing the water kefir. Then i got lax and was drinking water kefir again. I put on a bit of weight in that time. Then, I stopped drinking it again for about a week and lost the weight i had put on. I didn’t feel different either way, just noticed the weight thing. Leads me to think there is quite a bit of sugar in the water kefir, probably in the form of fructose as I am careful to ferment it long enough, even leaving the brew on the counter for several days at least. Does anyone think the water kefir might be detrimental? I bought a hydrometer at a beer & wine making store so i could measure the sugar content in the finished kefir but haven’t used it yet. Or do you think the fructose is so minimal it wouldn’t matter? I’m so careful not to eat any sugar. I’m on a meat & veggie diet only, no grains, no fruit 🙁

-MGL

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

i guess this question could go for any type of kefir. i’m thinking there is still lactose in milk kefir.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,

Kefir grains get their nutrition from the sugar in milk or water that the grains are put into. If your making water kefir and you taste sugar just let it ferment a while longer. Taste it every 4 hrs. Mark your time so the next time you make it you’ll get what your looking for. You might want to check your recipe for percentages.
    Miriam

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Water kefir, too much sugar?’ is closed to new replies.