Water Kefir Questions

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Water Kefir Questions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  alexalgebra 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Hey all!
    I was wondering if anyone has had success with water kefir on here. I bought some water kefir grains because I really dislike dairy (I’m actually a little terrified of it – former and aspiring to eventually be again vegan)…you feed them with sugar and molasses, and I was under the impression that they eat all of the sugar, but this site http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-grains-troubleshooting-faq-advice say that there will still be fructose in it even after 48 hours of culturing. Does that mean I should steer clear or is it ok because of all of the beneficial bacteria in it?

Thanks!

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

Hi,

Ferment it for 12-24 hours, then take out the grains, and leave the liquid in the fridge for 1-2 more days.
    This will allow the bacteria to eat more of the remaining sugar.

The longer you leave it, the more sugar will be consumed.
    If it tastes a little sweet, just leave it for longer.

alexalgebra

Sweet, thanks. If my house is freezing ass cold, because it’s winter and we can’t really afford to heat it all the time, would that mean I should leave it out longer? I tried to set it near the stove when I was cooking or near the space heater when it was on so it would be a little warmer.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

So it is better to leave it in fridge for a day after straining, I didn’t know this thank u

Clare_

You can also leave it out of the fridge after straining if you like.
    I like to drink mine cold, so I leave it in the fridge.
    I can keep it for a week in the fridge, and it is still fine.

Yes, the colder the weather, the longer it takes to ferment. Just leave it for longer.

It is hard to go wrong with water kefir. If it tastes too sweet, just leave it for longer before trying it again.

alexalgebra

How is it supposed to taste? I tried it today after having it sit out for 3 days, and it still tastes very, very sweet, fizzy, and has a little tinge on the tongue. It mostly tastes like a weird pop, though.

Clare_

Mine doesn’t taste sweet.
    It tastes a bit like old dish water.
    Mine also isn’t fizzy.

Leave it for longer until is tastes more ‘pungent’ and less ‘sweet’.

Give the kefir more time to consume the sugar.

alexalgebra

Cool, thanks Clare! I guess it’s because my house is so dang cold :p

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Water Kefir Questions’ is closed to new replies.