Water Kefir First Batch

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Water Kefir First Batch

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  blakek89 7 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

How long should the first batch take, I ordered some water grains and got them wednesday afternoon. I started the fermentation on thursday morning using boiled filtered water, regular sugar, organic molasses for minerals, and a glass mason jar with a napkin and elastic band.

So it has been sitting there for 36 hours and I had a family member taste it and still tastes like sugar water.

How long does this initial batch take? I have heard up to 4 days.

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

It should taste like champaign after 36 hours I brew mine for 48 hours. I guess most folks have to make a 2-3 batches to get their grains working because of shipping. Mine came with instructions stating that. it all depends on how the grains were packaged and how long they took to get there. mine took two days and were packed well. They started fermenting on my first batch but really took of on my second.

Make sure your not adding them to boiling water. The water should be room temperature. also, If your using filtered water you can also add a boiled egg shell or a pinch of baking soda for more minerals to help them. Not needed but also loved by the grains is raisins.

Also never let them go past 48 hours. Sweet or not. Just start a new batch. some folks like their after 24 Hours but I find that to sweet. I do pull my milk kefir grains in 24 hours or less no matter what but that is a different type of grain.

Marbro

I forgot , one way to tell when they are working is the bubbles they produce. You should start seeing them on the side of the container.

I use. 1:1 ratio for my water kefir. One tablespoon grains, 1 cup water , 1 tablespoon of sugar.

How much of everything are you using?

Faith
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

I started mine on the 9th, and they are going okay. They have multiplied, and they are bubbling. I think this is my 4th batch? When I do the second day fermentation, not much fizz yet (nothing like champagne), so I think I just have to have patience with them?

I was just going to do sugar water, and not the young coconuts, too expensive to keep up and to hard to process.

blakek89

Are you supposed to dissolve the sugar in the water while it’s boiling or just dump it in when its at room temperature?
    I just dumped out the water and started another fermentation using Marbro’s ratio of 1:1.

Marbro

Warm water would help dissolve the sugar but I never do that. I use room temperature water, put in my sugar and just stir it around for a minute.

what you can do is boil the water in advance like the night before and then you’re not having to wait for it to cool down to add your kefir grains each morning. I would just put a pot on the stove, let it boil then turn the stove off and put a lid on it. In morning you’re set to go. Or evening depending on when you do your kefir. Hell while you’re boiling the water, you could add a half an egg shell.

The grains themselves are resilient. It just might take a couple batches to get them growing and fermenting like they should.

I had some extra grains in the fridge for eating and decided to use some and experiment with a different water/sugar combo. The grains took longer to get going than the ones I first got. But they came around none the less

blakek89

So I made two batches and on my third with in several hours it was bubbling yay… so tomorrow morning will be 48 hours, now am I supposed to put it into another glass jar to further ferment or what? and how much should I drink a day starting out?

Marbro

Nice! A second fermentation is not needed. You will get plenty of probiotics after 48 hrs. If you do want to do a second fermentation then take the grains out and start your next batch. Take your freshly made kefir and put it in another container and let it sit out of the fridge for another day or two depending on how you like it. Now you can put a top on tight and get some carbonation going. Just remember to check it. I open mine After 1 day to let air out and it always pops like it’s ready to explode:). The second fermentation will reduce any remainin sugars to nothing and give you maximum bacteria content. The sweetness will be all gone and some folks do not like that. I like it with lemon.

Either way after 48 hours get your grains out and into some fresh sugar water. If you need a break from maiking it just store the grains in the fridge with a little sugar water for a week or two. You can dry them for longer storage.

When I first got mine and they started fermenting well the grains grew fast and I was making two large batches of them and eating them. I drank a lot. But my die offs came on hardBin the form of skin rashes. I ended up cutting out my anti-fungals to compensate. Most sites recommend you start out slowly consuming kefir and that is my suggestion. Maybe a glass a day and if no reaction in a few days then a couple.

I drink 2 glasses of milk kefir a day and about 4 glasses of water kefir a day now. I feel great! I have energy to run and exercise everyday. I have not felt this good since my early 20s.

I’m a believer lol

blakek89

Marbro wrote: Nice! A second fermentation is not needed. You will get plenty of probiotics after 48 hrs. If you do want to do a second fermentation then take the grains out and start your next batch. Take your freshly made kefir and put it in another container and let it sit out of the fridge for another day or two depending on how you like it. Now you can put a top on tight and get some carbonation going. Just remember to check it. I open mine After 1 day to let air out and it always pops like it’s ready to explode:). The second fermentation will reduce any remainin sugars to nothing and give you maximum bacteria content. The sweetness will be all gone and some folks do not like that. I like it with lemon.

Either way after 48 hours get your grains out and into some fresh sugar water. If you need a break from maiking it just store the grains in the fridge with a little sugar water for a week or two. You can dry them for longer storage.

When I first got mine and they started fermenting well the grains grew fast and I was making two large batches of them and eating them. I drank a lot. But my die offs came on hardBin the form of skin rashes. I ended up cutting out my anti-fungals to compensate. Most sites recommend you start out slowly consuming kefir and that is my suggestion. Maybe a glass a day and if no reaction in a few days then a couple.

I drink 2 glasses of milk kefir a day and about 4 glasses of water kefir a day now. I feel great! I have energy to run and exercise everyday. I have not felt this good since my early 20s.

I’m a believer lol

@Marbro

I just had my first glass tonight have 4 more that are ready. I was so good tasted like lime soda, I put it in a jar with a tight lid it was fizzy and I added a slice of ginger to it on the second fermentation, it was awesome. Totally into drinking this now. after the second fermentation should i just put it in the fridge. And when should I increase from 1 cup to 2 cups?

Also check out the SD thread I have a couple of questions for you.

blakek89

How sweet should water Kefir taste after a double fermentation?

blakek89

bump

Marbro

blakek89 wrote: How sweet should water Kefir taste after a double fermentation?

the sweetness should be prety much all gone but be careful as I recently learned that going to long on that double fermentation will start to make your kefir taste like vinegar. I may cut back my second fermentation to 36 hours instead of 48.

As you brew more you will see what works best for your taste and your grains in your fermentation. Seasons I’m told will make you adjust and the warmer weather I think is why my kefir fermented faster this last batch. It may be you will adjust the quantity of either you water, grains or sugar and time to get it the way you like it. The 1:1 ratio and 48 hour x2 fermentation was what I was told to do and it worked well for me but as I said now I’m fine tuning it for my specific taste.

I wouldn’t go more than two cups your first week. If your taking antifungals and probiotics pills your die off reactions will start to act up. I made so much kefir I cut back on my anti fungals and drank more kefir:) I’m not sure I that was he best way to go. But if your feeling fine go ahead and drink more.

Kefir gives me a lot more energy than what I’m used to so i drink a lot.

blakek89

Marbro wrote:

How sweet should water Kefir taste after a double fermentation?

the sweetness should be prety much all gone but be careful as I recently learned that going to long on that double fermentation will start to make your kefir taste like vinegar. I may cut back my second fermentation to 36 hours instead of 48.

As you brew more you will see what works best for your taste and your grains in your fermentation. Seasons I’m told will make you adjust and the warmer weather I think is why my kefir fermented faster this last batch. It may be you will adjust the quantity of either you water, grains or sugar and time to get it the way you like it. The 1:1 ratio and 48 hour x2 fermentation was what I was told to do and it worked well for me but as I said now I’m fine tuning it for my specific taste.

I wouldn’t go more than two cups your first week. If your taking antifungals and probiotics pills your die off reactions will start to act up. I made so much kefir I cut back on my anti fungals and drank more kefir:) I’m not sure I that was he best way to go. But if your feeling fine go ahead and drink more.

Kefir gives me a lot more energy than what I’m used to so i drink a lot.

I figured out what made my kefir taste so different then everyone else’s description. Ginger did it. All of the batches up to the most current one had Ginger, and this did not the taste is totally different. And the weather in Vancouver is terrible 9 degrees Celsius so I have to double ferment 48 hours. My grains have quadrupled in 1.5 weeks amazing how fast they grow I have them in 3 glass jars. I am drinking 1 tall glass a day maybe 325 ml. It tastes nothing like vinegar kinda of like weird champagne and you are right this stuff is potent with Die Off considering upping my Moly dosage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Water Kefir First Batch’ is closed to new replies.