water kefir/

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions water kefir/

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  londoner1 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

londoner1
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 17

Hello

Has anybody had experience with Water Kefir. I bought some grains due to issues with Milk and Yoghurt, so I can’t take Milk Kefir (I did try Milk Kefir grains but the resulting drink made me feel unwell in the same way that milk does). My only issue with Water Kefir is that even when i reduce the amount of brown sugar and increase fermentation time to 2-3 days the results still smells sweet. i’m not sure if this is the natural smell of the kefir or if all of the sugar has not been metabolised by the grains. How do I know if there is still unused sugar in the mix?

I would really like to benefit from the Kefir and the associated natural probiotics but it will likely set back the treatment if I am regularly drinking even small amounts of sugar that have not been used up in the process

many thanks
    Nick

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

londoner1 wrote: Hello

Has anybody had experience with Water Kefir. I bought some grains due to issues with Milk and Yoghurt, so I can’t take Milk Kefir (I did try Milk Kefir grains but the resulting drink made me feel unwell in the same way that milk does). My only issue with Water Kefir is that even when i reduce the amount of brown sugar and increase fermentation time to 2-3 days the results still smells sweet. i’m not sure if this is the natural smell of the kefir or if all of the sugar has not been metabolised by the grains. How do I know if there is still unused sugar in the mix?

I would really like to benefit from the Kefir and the associated natural probiotics but it will likely set back the treatment if I am regularly drinking even small amounts of sugar that have not been used up in the process

many thanks
    Nick

I tried out the sugar water kefir grains, but every recipe I tried ending up tasting a bit like moonshine, so I chucked them.

I buy raw goats milk from my local health food store & make kefir out of that with milk grains, I feel a lot better than when I was drinking organic cows milk.

I also use milk grains with coconut water, I don’t add anything else in & it comes out well. It loses all its sweetness, but I add a bit of stevia back to it & it tastes pretty good. That might be worth a try if you don’t get on with milk variations.

londoner1

I also use milk grains with coconut water, I don’t add anything else in & it comes out well. It loses all its sweetness, but I add a bit of stevia back to it & it tastes pretty good. That might be worth a try if you don’t get on with milk variations.

genius idea…i’m guessing you get the double whammy of the benefit of the coconut alongside the benefit of the probio. many thanks for posting

londoner1

genius idea…i’m guessing you get the double whammy of the benefit of the coconut alongside the benefit of the probio. many thanks for posting

Scooter133
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 5

londoner1 wrote: Hello

Has anybody had experience with Water Kefir.
    […snip…]

many thanks
    Nick

Hey Nick,

I am by far an expert, though have recently purchased some myself from KefirLady

I’ve been using Madhava Organic Blonde Coconut Sugar for my sugar.

the recipe I’ve been following is

1-1.5 Tablespoons of Kefir Grains
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    1 Cup Non Tap Water

So I put in the Sugar in a Quart Mason Jar, and add in a little bit of Hot water. Swirl around to dissolve the Sugar.
    Then add in enough hot/cold water to fill mostly to top an keeping the temp a tad above room temp.
    then add in the water Kefir grain, (3+ Tablespoons now)
    Cover with paper town and screw on canning lid (the outside piece, not the top.

Let it sit on the counter for 24 or so hours.

Then take the liquid and our into another Mason Jar straining out all of the Grains.
    I then covert the same way and let that Jar sit out on the counter for another 24 or so hours.

I then take the jar and strain it another time into another Jar and cover with the AirTight Lid. Then put that Jar in the refrigerator for at leaset 6-8 hours, Better over night.

There is a Slight sweet taste, though not much.

To Mix things up a Bit I’ve done the Following Variations with good success.

In the Above Recipe Add Organic Sulfur Free Raisins. Then When removing Grains, Pick out the Raisins and transfer Liquid only to 2nd Jar.

In the 2nd Jar I’ve Added Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice/Zest and a Ginger Teabag. Be sure that you Keep Teabag Submerged. I used a Glass stir Stick to weigh it down.

So far I’ve been pretty happy with the results…

londoner1

great thanks scooter. The instruction that came with the grains stated to use 100g of organic brown sugar, this was clearly way too much although the grains were happy and multiplying like crazy

Best Regards
    Nick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘water kefir/’ is closed to new replies.