Water Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Water Kefir

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ICanDad 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ICanDad
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 19

First, I want to thank Able for providing so much valuable information here.

I want to make some kefir, and found there are two types of kefirs: water kefir and milk kefir.

Most of the posts talk about milk kefir. I wonder if water kefir is allowed?

Will it be better to consume both types of kefir to acquire more strains of bacteria?

Also I found a recipe from the internet, is it ok?

3 cups water
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4-1/2 cup water kefir grains
    1/4 cup apple juice
    about 1 inch of banana cut into thin slices

I guess the banana is not ok, so if I remove banana from this recipe, it should be fine??

ICanDad

I have done some research and found more about water kefir:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#alternativekefir

Typical Microbiota Isolated from Various Water-Kefir Grains and Water-Kefir Beverage

Lactobacilli

Lactobacillus galactose
    Lb. brevis
    Lb. casei subsp. casei
    Lb. paracasei subsp. paracasei
    Lb. casei subsp. Ramos
    Lb. casei subsp. tolerant
    Lb. coraciiform subsp. torquens
    Lb. fructose
    Lb. hilarities
    Lb. homophobia
    Lb. plantarum
    Lb. pseudo plantarum
    Lb. admonishes

Streptococci/lactococci

Streptococcus cremeris
    Str. faecalis
    Str. lactis
    Leuconostoc mesenteroides
    Pediococcus damnosus

Yeasts

Saccharomyces cerevisiae
    Sacc. florentinus
    Sacc. pretoriensis
    Candida valida
    C. lambica
    Kloeckera apiculata
    Hansenula yalbensis

One of the main reasons I want to make water Kefir is because of the cost. I would imagine I have to spend a fortune in buying organic milk for milk kefir, but for water kefir, all I need water and white sugar. It can definitively alleviate the financial burden for fighting this disease.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Water kefir is a good and less costly way to make the kefir, if you like it of course. I tried it but wasn’t as satisfied with it, so I use either organic milk or coconut milk now. I suppose the best thing to do is to experiment with different recipes until you find the one you’re satisfied with since there are so many different ways to make it (apple juice, grains, etc.).

Able

ICanDad

Thanks Able.

I will find more recipes and try them sometimes next week.
    If I could find some delicious recipes, I will definitely share them on the recipe section.

By the way, what I have read so far is that more flavors and bubbles can be added to the kefir water in the “secondary fermentation”, meaning after the kefir water is strained, some dried fruits can be added into the kefir water and then it will be fermented in an air tight jar. I think in terms of flavor, it will definitively be a lot better, but I am not sure if it is suitable for candida sufferers.

1. I think the anaerobic process will create alcohol which I think is bad for us.
    2. I am also not sure if the secondary fermentation will reduce the amount of probiotics in the water.
    3. Will the secondary process consume enough of the sugar in the dry fruits.

I am really excited to give it a try.
    And it looks the ginger root beer is really delicious 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Water Kefir’ is closed to new replies.