Vinegar?? Other ideas for salad?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Vinegar?? Other ideas for salad?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Morab 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Tanager
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Hi,
    I’m new to the Candida diet. I’m wondering why no vinegar. How bad is it? I tried having my salad with lemon juice and it was horrible. Way too bitter. I usually use a little Balsamic Vinegar on my salad. How bad is vinegar?
    Any other ideas for a salad dressing would be great.

Thanks!!!

Meghan
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

I use this recipe:

¼ c. freshly squeezed lemon juice
    ¾ c. olive oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
    4 garlic cloves, pressed
    1 T. dried oregano
    ¼ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
    ¼ tsp. sea salt (optional)

Place all ingredients in a jar or salad dressing bottle with mixer. Shake or whisk thoroughly until all ingredients are combined.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi 🙂 I’m new to the forums, but I’ve been on the diet for 5 weeks now.

I like to put something really flavorful *in* my salads to make up for the dressing I can’t have *on* my salads. My salad for lunch today was baby spinach with sliced avocado, raw pumkin seeds, raw sesame seeds, drizzled with lime juice and olive oil and then sprinkled w/ a little garlic powder and salt. The avocado – if you like it – gives the salad kind of a creamy coating if you stir it around a little before eating it. Plain lemon juice on plain lettuce would be pretty discouraging.

Hope this helps 🙂

tamamoore
    Replies: 4

Well for salads I like the mix of freshly squeezed lemon juice with a touch of olive oil and a little bit of pepper. Lemon juice and pepper are a really awesome and delicious combination.

nin
    Replies: 1

Hi,

Just thought I would chime in here on the vinegar issue. Standard vinegars are actually fermented or wine by-products and both are a huge no-no when dealing with candida overgrowth.

There is one vinegar allowed on the diet though and that’s unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar. You might want to give that a try. Here’s a site that has a few really nice recipes featuring ACV: http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/apple-cider-vinegar-salad-dressing.html

I think the key really is to take advantage of your herbs and spices when making the dressings. I’ve made some fine oil with lemon/lime juice dressings but I included herbs and spices in the mix. Some of the health food store salt-free seasonings that are basically powdered herbs, spices and vegetables make delicious dressings as well (or you can just season your salad straight with them). I’ve even added some yogurt to some recipes to make them creamy.

The diet can be quite manageable if you’re willing to put in some personal effort to make your own alternative condiments and think outside the box. 🙂 Hope this helps!

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

I totally forgot Bragg’s Liquid Aminos are allowed on this diet!! That’s a major bonus if you can do soy and if you like soy sauce. An awesome dressing starts with sesame seed oil, then add Bragg’s until the taste isn’t overpoweringly oily any more (almost equal parts, but probably less Bragg’s than oil), then add minced fresh garlic, ginger powder (or fresh ginger), and sesame seeds until it tastes the way you like. If it can set up overnight in the fridge, the garlic taste will mellow out some and not be quite so “hot”. If you want it a little sweet, you could always add a dash of stevia, but I really like it as is. There’s no real tartness, though. You could go a little Thai with it and add a dash of lime juice for tang.

I’d try this on a spinach salad with a cooled fried brown rice on top. Sautee some chopped red and green pepper, celery, onion, maybe waterchestnuts in a little sesame oil, then add in cooked brown rice and a scrambled egg, continuing to sautee it all for a few minutes more (you may need to add a little more oil after the rice goes in). Serve it on a HUGE bed of greens w/ the dressing.

Num num num. LOL – can you tell I’m hungry! Time to go to bed! I’m obviously thinking too much about food 🙂

Morab
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 8

Wow!! I’m off to get some of that!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Vinegar?? Other ideas for salad?’ is closed to new replies.